Waltzing Matilda ( Roberts 1/35 Matilda

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This will be my next British Tank of Ww2
It's not complete yet but here's where I'm up to so far Xf 59 and then Xf23 after masking.
Once dry I'll remask for the green Xf 26 and Xf-1 mix 5/1 there approximation but it'll be weathered heavy once complete.
The kit falls together really nicely and no major hang ups. Option are for the rubber band tracks ( which IMHO look very good ) or tamiyas new link and length pieces which I have not used this time around. I got an extra metal barrel for the 2 pounder and think it improves the kit immensely
More to come soon
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

D

dubster72

Yeah it's a lovely kit Robert. The masking is a challenge though!

I did mine in Desert Yellow to begin with, but thought it was far too orangey. So I swapped to Wooden Deck Tan which is a much closer colour to the original Portland Stone.

I have kept the light blue like yours even though that's not strictly accurate either, just coz I like it!

Looking forward to seeing more! :smiling3:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Yeah it's a lovely kit Robert. The masking is a challenge though!

I did mine in Desert Yellow to begin with, but thought it was far too orangey. So I swapped to Wooden Deck Tan which is a much closer colour to the original Portland Stone.

I have kept the light blue like yours even though that's not strictly accurate either, just coz I like it!

Looking forward to seeing more! :smiling3:
Thanks Patrick
I was waiting for the comments on the correct colours ( opinions are always welcomed), however I'm sticking with the given instructions colour ref. Once the weathering stage is completed it should dull down all the colourations and give a more realistic scene for the AFV.
Strange while I'm building this kit it reminds me of a challenger tank ( albeit a tiny tank in reality

D

dubster72

Thanks Patrick
I was waiting for the comments on the correct colours ( opinions are always welcomed), however I'm sticking with the given instructions colour ref. Once the weathering stage is completed it should dull down all the colourations and give a more realistic scene for the AFV.
Strange while I'm building this kit it reminds me of a challenger tank ( albeit a tiny tank in reality

I think Tamiya based the colour scheme on a Matilda that had been restored at Bovington - unfortunately it was done wrong!
But there's a fair bit of controversy about the Caunter scheme, just like pretty much every WW2 camo pattern! ;)

I'll see if I can crack on with mine at the weekend & we'll have a mini GB going!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well here's the next step in the Matilda paint scheme. Can I say that masking was a right pain in the A........ Any way continuing....
I been led to believe it's wrong camo ) but by the time I finish it I'm hoping it will be more in contrast to the ref pics I have. Still long ways to go to get finished ( next it's the tracks and the exhausts, on board equipment
It's a shame that AFV even when they are retrieved or retired from Service are left and photographed so come 70 years later we modellers don't get the artists impression we get the real McCoy ? Just a thought
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

E

Eddm87

Very nice. Have just started the same model. Although I have no air brush, so brush painting a basic camo theme.

That after market gun looks gooood