Welcome to Papa's Lightning build

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just a quick post to say welcome to the second user requested GB, Papa695's E.E.Lightning build.

Without further ado, I hand you over to your host, Ian (Papa695)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thank you Ian.

Hi and welcome to the English Electric Lightning GB.

First of all the Rules.

1. It as to be an Eglish Electric Lightning.

2. You have 6 months to build it starting 1st July 2017.

3. Just a stand alone build no diorama or vignette. But you can pose it on a base or in flight. ( there's no stopping you from putting it into a diorama or vignette after the build is completed and posted in the completed GB thread.

4. You can add any after market goodies you like or scratch building.

5. Enjoy yourselves and have a great build.

Many thanks to the people who have made this possible.

IanM

Rbaker

Joe

Peterairfix

BBDave

Patrick ( many thanks to you as your not a thing with wings builder. :D  )

Tony

Neil.

But if anybody else out there wishes to join in your very welcome.

Sorry forgot to add box, sprue,and decal photos to be added at the start of the build thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
July seems so far away. I would like to build a 111 sqn. F3 lightning my dad was with them at Wattisham ideally the L aircraft as he and a mate messed up the paint job one weekend.

Is it possible to get aftermarket decals for 111 sqn.? I have searched but it's a mine field also would this kit be suitable for an F3? I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/english-electric-lightning-f-2a-f-6-1-48.html

Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
J

John Rixon

Is it possible to get aftermarket decals for 111 sqn.? I have searched but it's a mine field also would this kit be suitable for an F3? I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject.

Well, I got this (1/72 though) from Hannants. XtraDecal X72088 for a lightning I built for a friend.

image.jpeg

if that helps - that is a 111 tail marking n'est pas?

First Name
Dave
http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/aircraft/military-aircraft/english-electric-lightning-f1-f1a-f2-f3.html

I am not 100% sure but I think this has a 111sqn decal set. The tail fin might need painting but the emblem i there, I think.

Other than that the Trumpeter 1/32 version has the markings for a 111 F3....  
unsure.png

Oooo that'll be big. Why doesn't it say f3 on the box but does in the description very confusing for an amateur. It's the tail fin they messed up it was xm188 I think, I have it written down at home.

Well, I got this (1/72 though) from Hannants. XtraDecal X72088 for a lightning I built for a friend.

View attachment 262628

if that helps - that is a 111 tail marking n'est pas?

I had a look at Hannants but didn't see any but there were lots of pages of decals to look through.

Dave

First Name
Dave
Oooo that'll be big. Why doesn't it say f3 on the box but does in the description very confusing for an amateur. It's the tail fin they messed up it was xm188 I think, I have it written down at home.

I had a look at Hannants but didn't see any but there were lots of pages of decals to look through.

Dave

A tip for when your using Hannants site. Look for the kit on the site first.Then click on the kit.You will then a get a page of everything they sell for that kit. Decals,resin, PE, books etc. Of course, this only works if they stock your kit!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a good tip Dave. I get along (mostly) with their wonderful search but that sounds a lot easier.
@BBdave I have the 1/48 decal set with 111 marking on. If you would like a photo let me know. You can have them if you can use/need them.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's the 1/72 scale set, John

J

John Rixon

Yep, I know, but if he can't find any suitable at 1/48, he could buy a set of these, ask Si (see his post about custom decals) to scale them up to 1/48 and make some custom ones. As long as he doesn't use the 1/72 ones, he has, in my opinion, not breached copyright - I.e. He has technically paid for a set of decals. Just a thought, as they are lovely quality, and would scale up fine. As an artist myself, I am always very reluctant to breach any sort of copyright, but this way Xtradecals still get their wonga for a set of their decals, everybody's happy!

J

John Rixon

I've just given them a close scrutiny under my big magnifier, 150% will do it, and they are crisp as a crisp thing. Scan them in at 300 ppi and job's a goodun'. 

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive got to dig mine out from the loft,the Airfix 1-48 f2a/f6 , its been lurking up there for about ten years! I wanted to do a nmf version but til now didnt have the confidence i could do it justice. The new vallejo metal colors have been great for me though so its time my poor old lightning made an appearance. Cheers tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS could you put a link to this lightning G/B as this is before my time an id love to see how all the planes finished out ?
chris b