What airbrush should I get?

R

Rik101

My situation is that I don't have or want a credit card, this obviously limits my ability to buy things on line.

I want to get myself an airbrush. I'm thinking a reasonably good all rounder is what I'm after so I figured I'd ask the experts here.

I can only really buy from Amazon with gift cards.

Can someone recommend a good all round airbrush that is available to buy from Amazon?

All help and advice will be greatly received!

J

John Rixon

What sort of thing do you want the airbrush for? The reason I ask is that if you are doing simple paint jobs, priming, base coats, a bit of post shading, and you are new to airbrushing, you might want to consider a single action brush. I've recently bought on from John at the Scale Model Shop, but there is one identical on Amazon, for a bit more money - still only £20. I also have a Harder and Steenbeck dual action, but I'll not be using that much now, as I've already fallen for the single action, mostly due to the simplicity of operation, and consummate ease with which it cleans up. You set the amount of paint flow using the screw at the back (with practise, this can be done single handed) and the pressure at the compressor, then all you have to do is press the button! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Airbrush-Single-action-Stubby-Airbrush-auto-hobby-craft-paint/dp/B001BYCES0/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1475590854&sr=8-34&keywords=single+action+airbrush

its basically a copy of a new Iwata model, at a fraction of the price. Sure, it won't be as well made, but so far, it's making me smile. Have a look at Flory's review of the Iwata one on YouTube, it'll give you an insight into the thing!

R

Rik101

Thanks for that John, it looks interesting. Can it run from canned air rather than a compressor tho? Winter is on the way and my garage has no heating so I will be working in my room for a good few months which will mean a compressor would be way to noisy.

J

John Rixon

Canned air is very expensive, in real terms, a small compressor with a tank is very quiet these days, and as cheap as they've ever been. Back in the eighties, I paid nearly £400 for an entry level compressor with a reservoir -.  A good £500 in today's money. My little AS186 is £75 on Amazon, looked after, it'll give good service, and it's not noisy. Just don't be tempted to save a few quid and get one with no reservoir, it'll drive you nuts!

D

Deleted member 5496

Rik have a look at this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harder-Steenbeck-Ultra-Airbrush/dp/B003Z86QCK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1475627324&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=airbrushes+harder+and+steinbeck

H & S produce top airbrushes as do Iwata. But being new to airbrushes the H & S is first class. It is easy to use and most important breaks down and is exceptionally easy to clean.

Every part of the H & S brushes are replaceable. They also have seals which are resistant to the chemicals in paints and airbrush cleaners.

All airbrush Compressors, unless you spend a lot on what are called noiseless (they are not just less noisy and twice the size), do put out a good noise. Somewhere in the region of 50 to 55 decibels. They also pound on what ever they are sitting on. But help is nigh. Build an enclosure in ply or similar with a floor vents at the back to allow cooling. Line the enclosure internally with 50mm of foam they use for musicians rooms (available on Amazon cheap). Set the compressor on ply on the foam. This will cut the noise by three quarters. I live in a flat and you can hardly hear the motor.

Compressor as John has mentioned one with a tank as this gives an even flow of spray paint. Also means the motor will shut off when the tank is full and not re-start until a base pressure is reached.. Compressor Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voilamart-Airbrush-Compressor-Filter-Holder/dp/B01HZAYZXU/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1475628207&sr=8-20&keywords=airbrush+compressors

This is good value as it comes with a hose an adapter fitting and cleaning set. About £10 worth extras if bought separately. Take no notice of the different names on the compressors. All like the one above come from China out of the same factory.

On cans of compressed air they are expensive. There is no control on the amount of air as there is on a compressor. As the air depletes so does the pressure of the air if you are not careful you will get spits of paint. I bet 6 cans will buy your compressor. You also run out half way through a spray job.

Stewart

Last edited:
J

John Rixon

I bet 6 cans will buy your compressor. You also run out half way through a spray job.

Yup, between £7 and £10, and I seriously doubt you'll paint a whole model with one, bearing in mind the air you use for clean up etc. When I first started using an airbrush, I bought a couple of cans of this stuff, soon learned! 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have to agree about getting a Harder and Steenbeck plus a cheap compressor.  You need to practise a lot when you first start and I do mean a lot, so having the compressor will save you money compared to buying air cans, just for the practise....

Its well worth it Rik.

Rik - it is difficult these days without a card of some kind, whether its a credit card, cash card or one that you load with dosh to spend.  If you can be disciplined and clear it every month so you dont pay interest then a credit card is a good tool and it gives you a fair bit of protection on-line.  Another alternative to a credit card that can be used on-line with most sellers these days is PayPal which you can link direct to your current account.  Its a good system and it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rik101

Rik - it is difficult these days without a card of some kind, whether its a credit card, cash card or one that you load with dosh to spend.  If you can be disciplined and clear it every month so you dont pay interest then a credit card is a good tool and it gives you a fair bit of protection on-line.

I absolutely know I'd spend too much and get heavily in to debt so I don't want to take that risk.

Thanks for all the fantastic advice, I will certainly put a lot of thought into all of it and make a decision on how to proceed soon. :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Rik, It might be worth adding that having a credit card can boost your credit rating,  As long as it is sensibly managed of course...

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have 2 Iwata HP CH Hi Line Airbrushes and have never looked back. One of these will accomplish more than enough of your modelling tasks. It also far surpasses the infinity. The infinity has harder clean up and the action is more clunky than the smooth trigger action of the hi line. The mac valve, too is also something which is absent on the inifinity 

John

Last edited:
J

James_C

Always a difficult one to answer personally I started off with a Compressor for Christmas and chinese copies of airbrushes from Iwatta. Then I went to the Neo for Iwatta although a very good brush I would avoid. I decided the Harder and Steinbeck Evolution CR Plus 25 with the 0.2 needle would be best. 

I now have both the Evolution and now I have an Infinity H and S 0,4 for primer and base coating a model would never use or need anything else. 

Advice from me: 

Work out a budget, watch reviews, if possible try a few and attend a class if there are any near or go to a model shop and ask their advice. Personally Harder and Steinbeck for me all the way