Where to start?

T

TheHawk26

Hi all,
I've recently decided i would like to get into doing some scale models, I have been having a look around online and seen there is so much stuff i could do like model/scale wise etc. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice where to start? like what are the best kits to use, how to find out which paints i need for specific models etc.

Thanks
Jack

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jack
Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly helpful bunch.
My thoughts on your question
There are a load of good kit makers out there. Some of the latest kits are expensive and have many, many parts which may not be suitable to start the hobby with. I would buy an older Tamiya kit, scale 1/35. They may not be 100% accurate but they are not too expensive and the fit and instructions are usually good. You will get a pleasing result. The instructions will give you an idea of paint colours to use. If you are painting with brushes rather than an airbrush I would use Vallejo Modelcolor paint. You will need glue, something like Tamiya Extra Thin or EMA Plastic weld. Thin, water like glues which you can wick into joins with a fine brush. Swann Morton scalpel handle and no11 blades. Sprue cutters (clippers) to cut the parts from the frame and some sanding sticks - you can use the ones ladies use on their nails, cheap from many stores. You will need brushes for painting - buy decent ones as cheap brushes are useless.
Others may come in with different ideas but start small and add things as you go.
Have a good look around the Scale Model Shop - link at top of page.
Above all HAVE FUN!!
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Gotta agree with Jim's comments, but it's hard to be more specific unless you can give us some idea of the kind of stuff you want to build.

It would also be worth your time to have a look at some of the modelling website videos of actual builds. I know there's a LOT of help available here, but sometimes seeing a video is better than a set of pictures.

There are lots of sites available. Here's a few that I look at:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChnAgeghaNKLdftbfJY8zNA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9n7S96o5bKagKWAgsqvLuw
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlexModeling
http://www.florymodels.co.uk/

T

TheHawk26

thanks for all the advice so far and ill have a look at those videos, At the moment i would like to probably start by modelling military planes as my starting point.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jack,
welcome to the Forum! If it's aircraft you are interested in, then you have a huge choice.
If your space is limited, then 1/72 scale is good, not taking up too much shelf, 1/32 allows loads of detail, but you need a lot of display area, I find the best compromise is 1/48 scale. As a starter model I'd go for something like the Tamiya 1/48 RAF Mustang - - very nice fit, not too many parts. A lot depends on your budget, and confidence!
You don't want to buy an expensive model, and make a hash of it - better a few simple models to get your basic techniques right before branching out!
Ask any question - we all had to start somewhere!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jack
Sound advice from Dave :thumb2:
Military planes - vast choice and vast price range. For planes I agree with Dave, the best scales I think are 1/72 or 1/48. For someone just beginning I would avoid kits which include a lot of photo etch. Having said that photo etch, precoloured seat belts and instrument panels are quite nice and not too difficult to deal with. I would avoid WW1 biplanes as they need rigging and control lines which drive even the most experienced modellers demented.
Dave's suggestion is very sensible *HERE*
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I agree with all the good advice here. However, it is important you make something you are interested in, so choose a kit of something you like. Then, when you choose your kit ask here to find out if there are any problems that could be tricky for a starter to overcome....
By the way, welcome to the forum :thumb2:
Tim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I agree with all the good advice here. However, it is important you make something you are interested in, so choose a kit of something you like. Then, when you choose your kit ask here to find out if there are any problems that could be tricky for a starter to overcome....
I’d give much the same advice, except to replace “kit” by “subject” so that if you know what kind of plane you want to build, you can ask for good kits of it, or ones to avoid.

Other than that, the main advice is the usual: build it for yourself, to your own standards, and don’t compare it too much to what other people have managed to make of it. Your first kit will be nowhere near as well-finished as your nth, but the only thing that counts is that you’re happy with what you’ve built.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum as the others have said there is a huge choice of subjects and sizes and the advice they have given is good.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Welcome aboard Jack. Look forward to seeing some of your wingy stuff. Good luck