Wingnut wings 1/32 Sopwith Dolphin by "Bertie" tally Ho

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I know Ian's normally the one to put things in there rightful place but I thought I had better make a proper show of it and start my own thread on this.
As I stated in other thread I have made a start on this with the cockpit and the minimal rigging that really won't be seen all that much once the whole thing is put together.
I have also made a start on the HIspano Suiza V8 Hisso engine ( basic construction ) now comes the hard part of painting and derailing the engine up to give it a lifelike appearance.
Now correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm sure I read somewhere that this same engine powered the SE5a??
I have sprayed the engine black for shadow effect( also as a primer) effect before I tackle the full engine paint scheme then it comes to weathering.
Pictures below
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 20

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Robert
I have seen a few completed Wingnut Wings kits and reviews say they are sublime but I have never followed one being built so I look forward to seeing this progress.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The instruction booklet itself must have cost a bomb to produce...watching closely, Robert.

Cheers,
Richard

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys I been off a couple of days and managed to get some more done on the Dolphin.
I'm following the instructions page by page so not jumping ahead just so I don't screw it up.
I really am enjoying this build and the instructions and painting guide are very good indeed.
I have quite a few individual sub builds at the moment but painting as you go has somewhat got its challenges. The Vickers guns come in 2 parts with the barrels having PE ( yet to finish ) but the detail is amazing on them.
The Cockpit facia I found quite challenging but picked out detail as and where I needed.
The decals are superb ( cartograph) and detail is very good at this scale.
I have painted up the Hisso" 200hp engine. I still have some wiring to do and a final weathering.
Internal sidewalls have a few pin marks but on closure they are all out of view. Following the guides I have sprayed the internal parts.
Pics of progress ( Sorry if pics a bit blurry
Thanks for looking

Robert
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 8

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I was just ticking along thinking oh what's the next step in this build and then I viewed a couple of you tube vids ( oh how I have missed masking..................
WW1 planes are made up of ribs with stretched material over them. This material was not that thick even with dope painted over it ( keep the planes light and agile.
I have to mask in beteween each rib and will later spray XF63 with a dab of black to give the shadow look
Lucky for me I only have 4 wings and a undersurface of the tail to mask eh?? Oh and the airlons x4
Good job I got plenty of tamiya tape eh.
Pics up to now
Thanks for looking
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 5

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Robert
Those instructions do look nice - very well thought out. Good progress :thumb2: Looks as if the work to date is all the fiddly stuff.
Jim

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great stuff Robert. I've got the Bristol for the group build - I can't believe how heavy the box is.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Great stuff Robert. I've got the Bristol for the group build - I can't believe how heavy the box is.
I didn’t know there was a group build. I build for myself and like to share my modest attempts at my skills.
Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Update

Well I masked off the wings so I could retain some rib detail ( guess what ( silly me masked the top surface of the wings duh!! So it took me 4 hours instead of 2.
I sprayed with xf69 NATO black
Removing the masking I think looks not too bad and once sprayed with Irish linin ( dope the ribs should show though nicely ( I may tidy up before the final coats as don't want to be too dark on the ribbing.
I had assembled al the interior cockpit sub assemblies and now the fixing of the two Vickers MG
They gave some nice additional PE detail like the cocking handles ( once spayed with primer they were attacked to each gun then finally painted with X-10 and lightly scuffed.
Attaching this mount of Vickers to the instrument panel was relatively easy as WNW have guiding pegs that you can't get wrong( I did ) alignment of the Vickers onto the frame takes a lot of patience as they have to be spot on. The instrument panel then slots into the cockpit frame and this was a tight fit and no glue was rewired as two pegs align correctly into the panel ( no room for errors
Next goes in the Engine. Again a tight fit but once in very secure
There are two mounting grooves under the oil sump that align with the fuselage cage making it all snap into place.
I have taped the two fuselage sides together so the cockpit, Engine etc all sit correctly while the parts that have been glued have time to set in the correct orientation.
I have also for later got myself some extras for the rigging.
I realised from many pics that the wing struts have turnbuckles. WNW say these are not important but I feel at this scale it wil make al the differance.
This will be a long session making up over 100
Pics of the progress
Thanks for looking
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Wing detail
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
All comments welcome

Robert

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 2