WIP Sarnia Miniatures ‘Dwarf Lord’ 1/10 bust

F

Fenlander

Well, fantasy is not my thing but I couldn’t resist this cheeky looking chunky Dwarf Lord sculpted by Peter Gillson, original stunning box art by Peter Day.

Trying not to sing along with ‘its all about the bass’, this is all about the beard lol. Of course the armour and helmet will be an exciting challenge to go with metallics.

As there is not a lot of face, I decided to have a go at this with acrylic. I can always overpaint with oils if it doesn’t work out.

First up, a base coat of Vallejo Beige Red with a tip of the brush of Revell Anthracite and Vallejo Ivory to get the shadows and highlights.

912113EE-62CB-47C8-BB50-020981C48D51.jpeg

Then the eyes were lined using Vallejo Mahogany

BF75F877-2822-4B19-B358-9A2DB748C04C.jpeg

The ‘whites’ of the eyes were then painted in with ivory and a touch of beige red to create a very light flesh colour. While this was drying I ran some glazes over the very rough looking flesh tones. The pupils were painted in and a highlight spot added

So this is where I am at the end of stage one

A1A04269-A57A-476E-BFDE-83AEE2FC471D.jpeg

There will be more refinement done to the flesh once I have blocked in around it. I find it easier to judge flesh contrast after blocking in

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Graham
That is an excellent start. Although I am not a figure painter it is a big part of the hobby so it is great to see figures on the forum.
Jim

F

Fenlander

Hi Graham
That is an excellent start. Although I am not a figure painter it is a big part of the hobby so it is great to see figures on the forum.
Jim

Cheers Jim. I used to hate figure painting but cannot get enough of it now. Can’t do the small stuff though :sad-face:

F

Fenlander

Decided to try out a ‘dark’ look with this guy. Blocked in the metallics using mixes of Darkstar Steel and Bronze plus Steel on its own. The lions heads and other details painted black then a buff overall with metaliser powder. This kills colour and makes it too shiny for what I want so this was then overpainted with matt varnish before a coat of Future floor polish to bring back a more natural shine.

Not sure it has worked yet so I will live with it for a couple of days before I either carry on or get the paint stripper out :flushed:

27F9E65F-8099-426C-8BD3-5F248B271AC5.jpeg 5F9AE50A-A66D-4E77-9655-47442F803157.jpeg

F

Fenlander

Failed miserably trying to sort out the colours so the Dwarf Lord is taking a bath in Dettol lol.

Must try harder :unamused:

F

Fenlander

Shame as i thought he was looking rather good.
Richard.

It was getting messed about too much trying different colours, the paint was getting too thick and I just couldn’t get it to work. Never mind, it is all practice :thinking:

D

Deleted member 6559

Shame about the first attempt Graham, but when you're not happy - Flash Bathroom Cleaner is always at my side (and often used).

F

Fenlander

Shame about the first attempt Graham, but when you're not happy - Flash Bathroom Cleaner is always at my side (and often used).

Be better than Dettol, it stinks lol. I learned quite a bit back that flogging a dead horse, or even Dwarf, is pointless. Strip it, start again, no sweat :smiling4:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
A shame, but better to start again than end up living with something you are not happy with. Good luck with version 2.

F

Fenlander

Ok, had a bit of time at the bench this morning so I have done the face, may need tweaking, and blocked in the beard. Time to walk the dog while it dries off. All acrylic.

6CE21CED-B840-4DDE-81ED-5D23536166BD.jpeg

F

Fenlander

Right. I said at the beginning that I wanted this Dwarf to be a bit ‘darker’. As I got into it today I decided to go for a bit of a ‘Romanesque’ look. If I knew how to, I might even have sculpted a feathery crest for his helmet :rolling: but I don’t so I didn’t.....

Due to holidays followed by a wedding I doubt I will be back at the desk for a couple of weeks so I will leave him as he is, have a look when I get back and decide whether to keep going, call him finished or strip and start again.

He is growing on me and I did want a different look.

E5DAD084-67D2-4C87-B9B3-5A17CE13EF71.jpeg 682A66B3-0B4C-4E71-819D-2E15DE9304C4.jpeg 4E836FB1-6422-4725-83A9-A0364B64FA68.jpeg 6111BAEE-BB3A-4AEF-AB33-9BBA4D56A2F3.jpeg