Wooden decks and PE railings

F

Fenlander

Quick question as per the title. Ages ago, I started a Tamiya 1/700 waterline Yamato. I have main and secondary armament brass barrels fitted and a wooden deck veneer to go on, on the Yamato, this is two part, and I have a set of railings and other bits (long time since I looked).

Anyway, I have never used a wooden deck before but, thinking it through, I see a few problems. Before fitting the wooden deck, the plasic has to be sprayed so that the sticky through bits are the right colour. But what about the railings? Should I try fitting the railings, spraying the deck and railings before adding the wood veneer?

Not sure if I fit the wood before the railings and if so, what do the railings glue to? Would railings glued to veneer hold?

J

John Rixon

Well, given the scale you are building, the deck caulking will be all but invisible! This is my issue with these wooden veneer decks, the scale is cartoon!, a 20 mm caulk width (and I think this is wider than reality, I'm just using it as an example!) at 1/700 comes out at 0.028 mm. Normal human hair is circa 0.07mm. My opinion would be paint it!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Graham, some folks know my view on these veneer decks. I don't like them - full stop.

The caulking I've seen, even in 1/350 is way too wide.

John is dead right with his observations - paint the deck. The detail on the plastic main deck is usually excellent, and again as John points out, the caulking at 1/700 would be virtually invisible and not much more defined on larger scales either.

Sorry, but I consider these and brass gun barrels etc, and other general aftermarket stuff a bit of a con. that tends to breed a sort of 'must have' mentality, leading to those who don't use them being regarded as building somewhat inferior models (not here on S.M.)

I'm not getting at you Graham, and please understand the above is just my view, so don't shout at me, 'cos to each his own, eh? ;)

D

Deleted member 4539

I have built many ships Graham and I can not answer any of your questions.

I have never used to date a wooden deck.

I do however have one in a kit that my Dad bought me and will probably be able to answer your questions when I come across the problem's you have.

F

Fenlander

I agree with what you guys are saying, apart from the brass barrels as the kit ones were bent and very flashy for a Tamiya kit. But I model for the fun of it and I don't really get hung up on accuracy and such. If I did then I would have to fill just about every panel on an aircraft as they wouldn't really be seen at normal viewing distances :D

So yes, you are right about scale but assuming I can get the bugger on, it will have a wooden deck :D just for the fun of it. As far as accuracy goes the Yamato spent most of its short life at sea with black decks to try and reduce air observation, sadly it didn't work and this stunningly beautiful ship went down :sad:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
As far as accuracy goes the Yamato spent most of its short life at sea with black decks to try and reduce air observation, sadly it didn't work and this stunningly beautiful ship went down :sad:
....then sling the 'wooden deck' and paint the b***er black! :P

F

Fenlander

\ said:
....then sling the 'wooden deck' and paint the b***er black! :P
Awwwww, come on Ron, humour me :D Not stuck down but it does look OK to me and even you have to admit those brass barrels look sexy :cool:, come on, you do though don't you?

Spray it black:eek: never lol

Oh, answered my own question, plenty of deck edge to stick railings to.

image_1.jpe

image.jpe

F

Fenlander

Oh, the veneer without backing it .2mm thick at 1/700 that is 5.5 inches of solid Teak ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sexy brass barrels?......about as sexy as what's left at 2 am on 'Grab a Granny night' - not that I ever went to one!

O.K., I admit they do look nice.

I'm not being picky, just curious. How are the slight gaps around the various cut outs and the edge forward of the main guns in your picture finished off?

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Sexy brass barrels?......about as sexy as what's left at 2 am on 'Grab a Granny night' - not that I ever went to one!

I'm not being picky, just curious. How are the slight gaps around the various cut outs and the edge forward of the main guns in your picture finished off?
Well, it isn't in place as yet so it looks worse than it is but generally there is a bit of a gap around sticky up bits which is why the deck colour has to be done first. When it is stuck down it won't show as much as it does in the pic above. Also, there are loads of small bits that fit around things.

First Name
rob
\ said:

Hmmm..see what you mean Ron. Wouldn't have a clue how to fix that

P

Pigboy

Hello

I have to used these stick on decks on a Trumpeter Prinz Eugen 1:350 scale. My first time using them. I don't know if all the manufactures are the same but the one I got you had to peel off a film before putting it down. Yes, I tried to glue it down before removing the film. No instructions came with it so, that's that. The glue they use is good but none of the glue I had could match it. It bubbled up in some places after a period of time. Does anyone know the type of glue they use? I like the effect of the decking. Being that I'm not a professional and build just for my own gratification I'm not to particular on the scale measurements and such. Fitting it to the deck was a problem even though it said it was for this brand of kit. So, for the new modelers like myself. fit it with the backing on the remove the film. Clean the deck on the plastic with alcohol and then stick it on. Work out the bubbles and kinks from the inside out. I sanded the edges of the decking to bring down the thickness of the wood when it was on the model and to try to fix the numerous mistakes that I made trying to glue it with the film on. Live and learn. This is why I'm writing this. Hope all goes well with your build.