WW2 German Bunkers

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Now we are on floor 'G' which supported the Battery Strassburg.

g.JPG

the essential stove . the hole to the right - covered with perspex, was a hole through which grenade could be dropped onto attacking troops.

g1.JPG

across the landing is another grenade hole and an embrasure for close defence

g2.JPG

the following are a series of photos through the observation slits:

g3.JPG

g4.JPG

g5.JPG

g6.JPG

g7.JPG

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
this floor serviced the battery Steinbruch.

A 3 telephone system:

h1.JPG

A pair of binoculars positioned to be used by visitors.
h2.JPG

Across the landing is a heavy machine gun table which may be interested to any scratch builders...
h3.JPG

Sadly, this is one of only two which remain in the Channel Islands.

h5.JPG

finally a view of the stair well
stairs.JPG

Attachments

• h7.JPG
    h7.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 0

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Up a level to the level which supported the mighty Mirus Battery of 30cm, ex Russian battleship guns.

(The light is a modern health and safety requirement)
i.JPG

Embrasure on this level. Note the ladder leading to the roof.
i1.JPG

Air raid alarm bell operated by the lookout on the roof, these would have been on all levels.
i2.JPG

An example of the ranging diagrams were painted above all of the observation slits, and part of a stove chimney.

i3.JPG

A Das Richt-und Hohenwinkel-Sehrohr C/V made by Zeiss which was designed for shipboard use to determine range and bearing of targets and comprises of 3 sets of binocular telescopes.

i4.JPG

i7.JPG

i9.JPG
you can just see in the above photo the window has been opened to give a clearer view.
i8.JPG

zi99.JPG

the next two are views through the Bearing Officers telescope (left lense)
i11.JPG

i12.JPG

View through the Bearing Officers telescope (right lense)

i13.JPG

View through the Ranging Officer’s telescope

i14.JPG

A 10x50 standard rangefinder on a pillar mount, - these would have been on all levels.

i15.JPG

View through the left lens of the rangefinder– note the grid

i16.JPG

View through the right lens of the rangefinder

i17.JPG

obviously when used normally you look through both at the same time and your brain merges the two together, unfortunately that is beyond my photographic skills.

Unusually, this level also had radio communication to the Mirus Battery commander as well as multiplayer telephones.

i10.JPG
Peter

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Fantastic Peter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all the info and pictures. Absolutely fascinating stuff....

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
interesting how command and control varied.
I misremembered slightly: there were no Luftwaffe troops on Walcheren. There were seven navy coastal batteries and seven navy anti-aircraft batteries. By most accounts, these navy artillerymen put up decidedly more resistance against Allied troops than the army infantry (who were very much second-rate troops).

the following are a series of photos through the observation slits:

View attachment 338711
That makes me wish “our” Leitstände hadn’t all been demolished ca. the 1960s :sad: Of course, you probably wouldn’t have as good a view from the one that was closest to where I live:

index.php

(Apparently, this one had a tiled floor. My father has told me about how, when he was a child, they used to slide down it :smiling3:)

A Das Richt-und Hohenwinkel-Sehrohr C/V made by Zeiss
Going by the explanatory card you pictured, I suspect someone didn’t realise that “das” simply means “the” :smiling3:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Jakko - interesting to have a tile floor, it can be surprising just how well some were fitted out, as were the crew quarter on this one.

This is the final instalment - were have worked our way up the tower and are on the open roof. not a lot to see, basically an open are which was an observation level and would have had a small AA gun mounted. in the photo is one of the chimneys, while in the wall itself you can see a number of storage units which would've had wooden doors fitted and used for anything needed on the roof.
J1.JPG

Now we return to the ground level for a part which was built a little after the tower itself - the crew's quarters, rooms K&L in the diagram below:

o basis combined.jpg

These have been partially restored but are mainly fitted out as museums with various artefacts. The photos below are of the restored NCO room which is room L in the diagram.

l1.JPG

l5.JPG
the next photo is interesting - an example of the straw/cement mix which was made into sheets and used to insulate the rooms. The insulation being put behind the wooden palennling which covered the walls.

k1.JPG

The next few photos are of the site around the tower:

side view towards the entrance:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Finally, a few photos from around the site:
o1.JPG

Closer view of the entrance, which is on the left. in front is the entrance defence through which an MG would have been mounted, giving a clear field of firing across the entrance. to the right of you can just see part of the metal air vent. this would have been connected to the air filter inside.

o2.JPG

3/4 front view:
o3.JPG

front view

o4.JPG

the other side:

o11.JPG

and the rear. the flat concrete o the right is the roof of the crew's quarters, while the area outside the bottom of the picture is the door way.

o9.JPG

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Finally, a bit of an afterthought, but incase anybody is interested in how the local area was fortified during the war, a few maps.

The first is a repeat of one showing the Island, and this tower is at the bottom left (south-west)point, MP3:

map.JPG

this copy of a map from the German records shows the local area:

map5.JPG

The area immediately around the tower was code named Westberg and had mine fields between it and the cliffs to the left as well as radar, flak emplacements and all surrounded by barbed wire.

As an aside - the generator bunker is now used by a local motorbike club as their clubhouse.

to the south was a four gun emplacement of 22cm guns, name Battery Dollman, named after the General of that name. it too is protected by minefield and various AA and At guns.

The battery Dollman was an army battery, the combat mission of which was: to engage the enemy forces attempting to land or already landed, especially in the south-west sector; to provide harassing fire onto Mould Huet bay; and to provide barrage onto Vazon bay. as an army unit, to was not directed by the troops in the MP tower.

Peter

Attachments

• map2.JPG
    map2.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • map3.JPG
    map3.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • map4.JPG
    map4.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 0