Completed...Bismark. Kiel Canal. Locking out into The Baltic Sea - 1941

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A brave anti Nazi, Flemish fisherman risks his life and takes some quick snaps from his fishing boat, of a "Big ship" about to lock out of the Kiel Canal into the Baltic Sea. The photos reach England.........

His pictures.
P1170620 (2).JPG

P1170612 (2).JPG

P1170613 (2).JPG

P1170614 (2).JPG

P1170616 (2).JPG

The RAF decided to take a peep.....It's the Bismark!

P1170625 (2).JPG

P1170626 (2).JPG

P1170609 (2).JPG

P1170624 (2).JPG

HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales are out on patrol. They'll take care of this upstart, if she dares to venture out into the Atlantic!

A few colour pictures, just to show I did actually paint the thing.....
P1170605.JPG

P1170637.JPG

P1170621.JPG

P1170618.JPG

P1170611.JPG

Finally, a mug shot!
P1170635.JPG

I just used scrap polystyrene bits and let my imagination take over to produce an acceptable lock system. I modelled it one lock full and one 'empty' for a bit of colour variation. The earth is just polystyrene dug about and scratched at with my finger nails. Then I painted it all in children's acrylics and added a bit of silicone sea to a dark blue base. The leaking lock gates, wavelets etc., are just white acrylics. Still not happy with the masts, but I wasn't going to rip all the rigging off a second time!

Anyway, I hope you approve of this mini ship diorama. It was fun to do and different from the usual 'At Sea' ones.

Cheers,
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yet another ace demonstration of how to do water dios!

Only one question. Where are all the crowds that would be there to see her off?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Peter. I'm chuffed you like it.

Dave. great post. I'm glad you like the model. I've also managed to divert around the banana skin....again.:p

The thing is, as Bismark was heading out to meet Prinz Eugen for a joint mission, secrecy was paramount. So there was a tight, 1 mile personnel exclusion zone around the locks. The band had been given the day off to polish their instruments. Only the ship's crew were allowed in the lock area and they were down below having their lunch.
Admiral Lutjens was also below, giving Captain Lindemann and his staff their mission orders.

The only other people allowed in the area were the lock A.A. crews, but they were in their bunkers.

So, my dear chap, you can now understand where everyone has got to...........

By the way, did you receive that ' I'm trying my best to catch Ron out.' T shirt I sent you?...

Your Obedient Servant,

Winifred Atwell.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
stunning build as always Ron,do real like the locks and the lay out for this,
you ship,s and water work so well,great looking peace ,well done,:D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Peter. I'm chuffed you like it.

Dave. great post. I'm glad you like the model. I've also managed to divert around the banana skin....again.:p

The thing is, as Bismark was heading out to meet Prinz Eugen for a joint mission, secrecy was paramount. So there was a tight, 1 mile personnel exclusion zone around the locks. The band had been given the day off to polish their instruments. Only the ship's crew were allowed in the lock area and they were down below having their lunch.
Admiral Lutjens was also below, giving Captain Lindemann and his staff their mission orders.

The only other people allowed in the area were the lock A.A. crews, but they were in their bunkers.

So, my dear chap, you can now understand where everyone has got to...........

By the way, did you receive that ' I'm trying my best to catch Ron out.' Tee shirt I sent you?...

Your Obedient Servant,

Winifred Atwell.

It's like I said. 'e's got a plaster for everythin'!

PS No sign of my T shirt as yet.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Monica and Ian, thanks for your excellent comments on the diddy ship.

Dave - I've just thought of another, more plausible reason for the lack of activity. The enemy aircraft buzzing around taking pictures - everyone would be under cover!

Sorry about the T shirt. I must have sent it to my destitute cousin at The Nigerian University. The one who keeps contacting me, asking for money........

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great work Ron as always. I have a few nautical kits in the stash myself but fear the execution of the water effect which holds me back. Maybe one day I'll have ago as I have some 1/72 DUKWs I could practice on before attempting one of the larger scales.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry about the T shirt. I must have sent it to my destitute cousin at The Nigerian University. The one who keeps contacting me, asking for money........

Well I daresay his need is greater than mine so that's OK - even though it leaves me gutted:sad::confused:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's funny, he told me he had millions, and just needs a few thousand from me to help him get it out of the country. Surely he isn't fibbing?:eek:

Pete

B

Bangor Lad

Great diorama! I have had a half-built dry dock in 1/1200 just waiting to be finished and have something sail into it!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone - Great posts.

John - Like everything in life, you don't know until you give it a go, so have a try at some 'water'. Just have a play on a piece of board with no model involved, and experiment. You might get a pleasant surprise!.....;)

T

Trekkie_John

Another crackin' build Ron, i do like this one though mate.

Have fun, John

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
:eek:
Thanks everyone - Great posts.

John - Like everything in life, you don't know until you give it a go, so have a try at some 'water'. Just have a play on a piece of board with no model involved, and experiment. You might get a pleasant surprise!.....;)

Cheers Ron.
And as if my magic look what appeared in this months Airfix mag.;)I'll have a good read and go watch some you tube vids of how to go about it and what tools I may need as that's half the job isn't it having the "right tool" l bet there's various tried and tested methods all of which achieve the same result. I've heard that silicone maybe the way to go. Last time I was in my LMS I was chatting to a guy who knew a bloke who'd used plaster-scene?
Exciting times a step into the unknown :eek: hope I don't drown in the depths of uncertainty :smiling3::smiling3:
Now where's me rubber ring lol?
Cheers John
IMG_8835.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I must have sent it to my destitute cousin at The Nigerian University. The one who keeps contacting me, asking for money
Don't bother Ron, I've done a Direct Debit for him, wait a minute, does this mean we're related ?

But anyway, splendid work old boy. I feel like I'm there.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Really nice work again Ron, very effective photography. 10/10