yak faces monogram fw 190a-5

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, Am getting the 5 Stars ready, always amazed at how much extra detail you pack into a Model. Look forward to the finished masterpiece. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all, i know this one has been a VERY slow build ,but ive finally got back into it and made a bit more progress. Here are the wheel wells in the process of being scratchbuilt due to the kit not having any!After studying loads of pics (isnt the internet useful sometimes!?) i think ive got it about right, using lots of fiddly bits of plastic card ,aluminium and brass tubing, and for the prominent section in the middle with the dimples , good old wine foil (hic!!) I was stuck for a while thinking what i could use then thought wine foil would be perfect as i could make the dimples with a ballpoint pen . The hard bit was getting them straight and in the right pattern,then just bend the front piece up and bobs your uncle.The build should come together alot quicker now as theres not much else to this kit once the cockpit and wheel wells are sorted,so hopefully ill be able to get it done before the GB deadline.Here are the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 24122

View attachment 24123

View attachment 24124

View attachment 24125

View attachment 24126

View attachment 24127

View attachment 24128

View attachment 24129

View attachment 24130

P1060648 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060662 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060665 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060650 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060645 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1060646 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060647 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060649 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060663 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tony, this is going to be summat else.

Your patience, and skill knows no bounds....It's people like you that really hack me off!!!! lol

Well done, matey

Ron

F

Fenlander

Looking good Tony, I can say you are on the right track to get the look right.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers mateys, ill bet you thought this model had vanished didnt you!!!?

F

Fenlander

They do say that the star of the show always comes on as the last act Tony so no pressure :smiling:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Tony,

Looking excellent so far. I gotta ask though. I'm a clumsy oaf and if I'd tried your trick with the foil and pen nib to get those dimples, I'd have managed to push the pen all the way through the foil at least once on every attempt. How many lots of foil did you use? And is the reason for your lateness anything to do with sobering up from all the wine you had to open? LOL

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony, nice scratch building mate! I'm looking forward to seeing this old kit revitalised with all the detail you're adding. Well done fella I'm studying your build and taking tips.

Cheers mate

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Hi Tony,Looking excellent so far. I gotta ask though. I'm a clumsy oaf and if I'd tried your trick with the foil and pen nib to get those dimples, I'd have managed to push the pen all the way through the foil at least once on every attempt. How many lots of foil did you use? And is the reason for your lateness anything to do with sobering up from all the wine you had to open? LOL

Gern
hi dave, the wine foil is surprisingly tough, very useful for allsorts.I managed to do it in one go,i did think id have gone a bit wonky with the lines but i fluked it first time!As for how the stuff is procured- its a tough job but somebody's got to do it!!!! cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Hi Tony, nice scratch building mate! I'm looking forward to seeing this old kit revitalised with all the detail you're adding. Well done fella I'm studying your build and taking tips.Cheers mate

Paul
hi paul, glad you like it, get hold of some wine foil and have a play about,its really useful stuff, cheers mate , tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, You must have eyes like a sewer rat to get all that detail into a model. Must take issue with you on the wine bottle foil, single malt whisky foil is vastly superior - try Lagavulin. Seriously though great job, and thanks for the master class, your ingenuity never fails to amaze me. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks derek, my grandma always said i had eyes like a s*@house rat !!! I dont know about master class though,maybe only in the art of finding excuses to open a bottle of wine!! but,hang on , whisky?:emo6:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done Tony,talk about silk purse/sow's ear! How is the angle of the undercarriage? I only ask as so many kits get it so wrong! The rear of the tyre should just about line up with the leading edge of the wing (my rule of thumb).

Couple of piccies ,which you probably don't need,to help.

Cheers

Steve (now in sunny Frankfurt)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Tony.

I'm disappointed in you! 10/10 for your building skills of course, but only 1/10 for your thinking!

You should have managed to get at least three bottles open! As in "It's only for the foil for this tricky job dearest, but since they're open we ....." LOL

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks for the pics steve, at the moment the undercarriage is free to swing about,as i had to put it in before joining the wings ,so i can set them to the right angle later. I found some nice reference pics too,showing the locking spring at the top of the retraction arm and the angle of the leg and wheel,like you say its very important to get this area right. Enjoy your time in frankfurt(even if it is only work!) cheers tony

N

noble

Tony mate i've just been viewing your progress the scratch building is superb your patience must be limitless, well done mate.

scott

M

msm2

Tony. This site may help a little,scale drawings of aircraft. Next month ordering some for a 1/16th project.

Home

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks for that tony , the arthur bentley cutaway drawings are superb arent they? very useful for interior details too , cheers tony

M

msm2

Will be using a set for a project later in year. Hush hush wink wink say no more!