Yaks Chengdu J10s Vigorous Dragon , - 1/48 Bronco Models

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
See? I TOLD you you'd manage all those fiddly bits! That cockpit is superb.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Looking good Tony and I'm definatly watching this one for my build ( closely watching

Robert

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well the rest of the fuselage is together , after a bit of persuasion with the hair dryer the tail fin is straight but i'm taking no chances and have taped it straight until the glue goes off. Ive also been gluing some bits such as the wheels , these are fantastically detailed and the equal of many an aftermarket resin alternative. They are weighted nicely , not too flat like you sometimes see and feature excellent hub and tyre wall detail .

DSCN1649 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1651 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Looking good ( strange the fuselage was warped ( was this poss a storage problem before you got it )

Robert

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres where Im at with the J10 currently- the wings have been glued together and were a bit warped like the fuselage! they dont fit brilliantly so i'm going to glue one side at a time , its quite tricky as the joint should be a seamless curve. Ive got one side glued but getting the other to sit at the right level is going to be tricky so ive drilled three holes and inserted brass rod so that the underside of the top wing doesnt fall below the level it needs to be, hopefully this will make it fit better , we will see!

DSCN1660 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1661 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Is the air as blue as the pictures Tony with that wing fit problem this kit seems to have. But it looks like your sorting the fit problem out.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent work so far, that cockpit looks the bees knees;)

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I had simular problems with my fit on the wing to fuselage. I started with the left wing set it and under fuselage but when I went to do right side the wing join was not exact marriage. Bit of fettling and some crafty sealing and think I got a good 3 point fit ( it'll still need tidy and a bit of rescribe but nothing that awful I'm hoping

Nice way you went about the brass rod fixing ( wish I'd thought of that

Regards

Robert

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Both wings are now glued BUT theres a trade off for the good alignment of the top join- the one underneath is atrocious. Ive slapped on a shed load of filler and after its thoroughly dried (probably about a month!) i can start to sand and shape this area then I'll have to reinstate the detail .Ive also sprayed the colours on the exhaust nozzle , trying to get the characteristic blue section .

DSCN1664 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1665 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1666 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1667 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1668 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1692 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
The tail pipe is bloomin awesome in colour Tony and I really do like it, and I really like that metal burn effect. How did you acheive this?

My wing join at the bottom was just as bad but I fettled it in to leave a small step which I'll have to address at a later stage to give a smooth undersurface and rescribe ( both wings are flush.

Looking good

Robert

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Tony, shame about the fit but you're doing a great job on it.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
some nice work on the joints Tony, I've just got a new tube of Squadron green, would you like me to post it too you?

and that exhaust needs to be thrown away it's got a sabre growing out of it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The blue was vallejo transparent blue , thinned and misted on over a silver basecoat , then another coat on the rear section to get the faded effect , tony

D

Deleted member 4539

You're having some hassle with this Tony.

But you seem to be overcoming the problems with great aplomb(the joy's of modelling eh;)).

The exhaust look real nice. :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The hassle was mainly my fault ralph , i ought to have followed my instincts and glued the wing tops to the fuselage first then fitted the one piece wing bottom after , i think it would have made the gaps easier to manage

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
After a bout of sanding ,re filling sanding etc , the bottom joint looks quite reasonable , ive just got to re-instate the detail somehow . The top joint needed a bit of sanding right at the front and a smear of vallejo acrylic putty but its all good now , both joints have had a spray of tamiya neutral grey to see if any more work is needed. cheers tony

DSCN1694 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1772 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1773 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1774 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1778 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Looking good Tony and yes those joins are a pain in the but ( I thought original dry fitting looked good but no.

I'll try your approach on bottom join

Regards

Robert