Yet another Non GB Airfix Spitfire!

R

roconnell

Oh well here goes!

As I mentioned in previous post in my finished Hurri here is my attempt to contribute to the non GB, better late than never!

My hope is this build does not take so long as my others as I think I'm slowly getting back into things and increasing in confidence.

Looking through the forum I am now one of many undertaking this model, so have a few hard acts to follow!

My last few models have been Revell so this is my first Airfix in many many years.

The plan is nothing special just out of the box build with some weathering etc.

First impression is that surface detail looks really good the cockpit detail is somewhat limited compared to others models I have seen, but then I suppose I wont really see that once the canopy is closed up? Must say I am impressed with the parts though, very little flash noted, just hope it fits together well.

With what time I had tonight I have painted the cockpit with Tamiya Cockpit green, saw this and thought I would give it a try and must say as my first Tamiya paint well impressed with application so may get a few more! The rest of the model will be painted as per the Revell MkI version of the same plane as the vast majority of my paints are Revell Aqua.

View attachment 22112View attachment 22113View attachment 22114

Now that I will be posting updates I only hope it will go as well as my recent Hurri

Rich

View attachment 28972

View attachment 28973

View attachment 28974

View attachment 28975

PIC_2831.jpg

PIC_2833.jpg

PIC_2836.jpg

PIC_2839.jpg

Last edited:
M

m1ks

Nice start, what you have there is the 'new tool' 72nd spit, which is much lauded currently.

If you think that cockpits basic you should try a proper vintage Airfix spitfire or hurricane :smiling3:

Even the retro Spit in a bag, (sounds gross I know), i'm building is very basic in comparision, essentially a floor and seat was all you get.

I'll enjoy watching this one go together.

B

Bunkerbarge

Cerainly this is a huge improvement on the very early ones. Nice start though and I'm looking forward to seeing just what can be made from this kit.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice start there. The lads are correct about some of the earlier 1/72 Spitfires, a seat and a floor was about it. Of course,as in your kit, the Spitfire didn't really have a floor!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good start Richard. Nice cockpit detail for a 1/72, also good to see a pilot is included. Makes a change!

Ron

F

Fenlander

Does look a nice kit, maybe I ought to get one to keep the Hurricane company? Look forward to seeing what you make of it Richard.

R

roconnell

Day 2

Thanks for watching in chaps.

Managed to get into the shed again and spent many an eye straining minute trying to paint the pilot, followed by some weathering of the cockpit.

Points taken with regards to the detail being somewhat improved from previous Airfix kits, It's just a pity IMO that the flight controls are not like the Revell kits I have built giving me the option to dry brush the controls instead of having to use the decal sheet.

View attachment 22205View attachment 22209View attachment 22207View attachment 22204View attachment 22206View attachment 22202View attachment 22203

I did contemplate using one of my Revell pilots form the RAF ground crew and pilot kit but felt that as he will be encased and probably barely visible to use he would be a waste of a figure.

As you will see I have not as yet put the fuselage together. The reason for this is that I have had to super glue the seat frame in and wait for tomorrow as it is very fiddly to get to stay in place. The reason is that its a very tight fit because the frame is slightly reclined and off 90 and therefore it needs a little pressure to get it more upright to fit where it is meant to be located.

The only other fit issue noticed so far is when dry fitting the fuselage together which I have had to bore out the location holes slightly more to get a more closer fit.

Not so much of a problem but I have noticed that although the paints are displayed on the box there are at least one, possibly two, (cant quite remember without going out to shed) that are also needed that the box does not have documented, thankfully the paints are for small parts so in the event of anyone not having the described colour its not the end of the world.

Until next time, have fun

Rich

View attachment 29059

View attachment 29060

View attachment 29061

View attachment 29062

View attachment 29063

View attachment 29064

View attachment 29066

PIC_2845.jpg

PIC_2844.jpg

PIC_2836.jpg

PIC_2831.jpg

PIC_2838.jpg

PIC_2835.jpg

PIC_2834.jpg

R

roconnell

Day 3

Fiddly one today!

Had to remove seat frame and make slight adjustment with craft knife to get to fit as best to allow the fuselage to marry up.

The frame is pretty delicate so didn't help when marrying the two halves together as it kept dropping out or moving hindering process.

Eventually succeeded, seam will need a little attention although I hope the zap-a-gap will do the trick.:praying:

Must say that the canopy is super, very clear and a near perfect fit. In all honesty its such a close snug fit I don't think I will even have to glue it in place.

View attachment 22221

As you see I have made other progress with no fit problems attaching wings or tail rudders.

Rich

View attachment 29078

PIC_2847.jpg

M

m1ks

Looks like a good all round fit of the panels.

Coming along nicely.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's going together very nicely. If you are not sure of the colour of any parts just ask,someone will either know or be able to give you a reference.

Cheers

Steve

R

roconnell

Ups and downs

Well certainly do not think this will be finished by end of November but never mind!

As this is a record of my progress suppose I should record the bad bits as well!

Once again managed to grab a few minutes in the shed again and today had the bright idea of having a go at pre-shading the panel lines, a decision I regretted as all did not go to plan frustratingly! :ohno:

Perhaps its not wise to do this on a 1:72 model with such inexperience but hey ho i am confident i can rescue it.

I did practice on paper but typically all went down hill when attempting it on the model.

You will see below where I fluffed it up on the left wing in picture 1, so as a result decided to paint the lines by hand, good or bad decision i'm not sure but the results of spraying the underside colour does not seem that bad, so there is hope yet!

Apologies if picture quality is not that brilliant as it was taken with my phone.

View attachment 22346View attachment 22347View attachment 22348

View attachment 29203

View attachment 29204

View attachment 29205

IMG20101129_002.jpg

IMG20101129_001.jpg

IMG20101129_005.jpg

J

JFJ

\ said:
Apologies if picture quality is not that brilliant as it was taken with my phone.
Well its better than some of my pics! My camera is crap.

Anyway nice job on the spit and echoing what Graham said nice surface detail as well

M

m1ks

Theres no reason that hand brushing shouldn't work well, the only problem I could forsee is te hard edge leaving an undesirable line but then when I tried it it didn't work for me anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it looks with paint on.

R

roconnell

Never a dull moment!

Thanks for the comments all

Had fun with the airbrush ...NOT...its been an arse tonight with one thing and another! :ranting2:

Not sure the pre-shading has had the desired effect although I do think its possibly helping to keep the detail stand out very slightly. I think with practice it will get better. Next time I would not do the first cammo colour all over instead only coating where it will be seen to allow the line to show through the darker colour and keep paint areas as thin as possible, thought about this after I had done it!

Lighting in picture not much cop once again!

thanks for watching :smile:

Rich

View attachment 29241

View attachment 29242

IMG20101130_001.jpg

IMG20101130_002.jpg

Last edited:
W

wanna_be_aviator

I like what I see. I am sure it will come out great in the end. Keep up with the good work!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good progress there! This little gem has engraced rather than raised detail doesn't it? With recessed panel lines it is very easy to make the detail pop out with a weathering wash after you have finished painting.

Here's a Promodeller sludge wash sploshed on the bottom of a Ju88 I built a while ago.

And here you can see how,with the excess removed,the remaining wash emphasises the recessed detail.

I'm a big fan of these washes. I'm pretty certain that John sells them in the scale-models shop at a very good price if you fancy a go.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I will second that on the Promodeller wash, so easy to use, just slap it on all over, let it dry and then wipe off excess with barely damp kitchen towel and cotton buds. If you don't like it, wet the the kitchen towel and wash it of altogether. As it is clay based, it can be removed at any time up to covering with varnish. Dark Dirt is dark enough for most aircraft with black for darker camo effects. An interesting twist is that the white one works well on dark blue US aircraft, the look is good even if in reality, the colour is all wrong. The white is also good for putting onto embossed instrument panels after painting black as it settles into the dials and gives them white faces.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I used light dirt on the green (RLM70/RLM71) upper surfaces of the same model to good effect...well I thought so anyway!

Sorry for the diversion Rich.

Steve