Young Miniatures Gladiator Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2845.JPG
Another Young Miniatures bust and it's back to ancient Rome.

The kit comes in seven parts including the pedestal:

100_2846.JPG

As you can see, there are two head options, one for wearing the helmet and the other in all his follically challenged glory (which I know something about!).

I'm going to go for the bare head as it would be a real shame to cover it, missing eye and all. I'll probably mount the helmet as though he's holding it, as I've seen someone else has done, though it seems a shame not to be able to use the alternative head for something. I'll have a think.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Good morning Peter

Nice to see a return to ancients.

This looks a fairly simple bust, but I suspect all of that flesh will be a challenge - one that you will no doubt relish.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Peter

Yes, I only just thought about all of that flesh.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Looks nice. Not a lot to contrast against all that flesh. Just a few straps and the shoulder armour.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - I think this one is all about the flesh (dammit!).

Hi Ian - You're more likely to pick up bad habits from me.

Here's the result of today's work:

100_2851.JPG100_2853.JPG100_2855.JPG

The damaged eye was difficult - lots of creases and folds to get to grips with. I found that the more I painted it, the more detail kept coming to light, like the suture marks along the scar. I've given him a shaven head with classic male pattern baldness (copied from the mirror) - about time we had some baldies on the site.

D

Deleted member 6559

I'll leave the Wing Commander to respond to that one Steve.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OK I see ! Take the Micky out of the cursed !
When I read that post above Steve's I thought I'll get a mention before long :thumb2: Nice one mate , made me chuckle. :smiling2::smiling2:. Matron is coming to tuck you in !!
Peter,
Looking good, not easy to paint all that skin I'm sure.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

He's a cheeky monkey John!

OK, I've had a bash at the front of the torso:

100_2859.JPG100_2860.JPG100_2861.JPG

The harness is just blocked in for now.

This was really, really difficult. Blending acrylics when painting flesh is a bit of a tall order, and I modified my technique somewhat rather than try to do it wet-on-wet. That meant applying the paint in thin layers over under-painted darker tones. It got slightly easier as I went along, but it wasn't until all of the surfaces had been covered that I was able to judge the tones and try to balance them out. I'm sure to fiddle with it some more.....

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
I can see your point, any large expanse of flesh ( for me an arm ) becomes like an pair of overalls, its all then in the shading. This where you excel. I expect it will look the dogs when done, mind you its not far of that now.
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John

It's like painting fabrics but without the folds and creased to animate the surface. Instead it's an exercise in blending.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pm sent .about painting fabric.
John.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great work on the"flesh" uniform.

There are some interesting "adjustments" to the bust in the web site gallery, Colombo's done some really good leather paintwork, with the leather protective strips on the right shoulder.

I am sure there is a "proper" gladiator name for than leather work!

Your paintwork is far superior to the sunburnt, flushed, "beer tan" look on the box art, and I know you will be too far too modest to accept such praise, but its delivered.

It will be good to see your finished piece with all the leather and bronze.

Have a good day with the slight heatwave!

Its doubled in temperature up here!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

I've seen some pretty amazing completed examples of this bust on the internet. A lot of people have gone for the gore, but that's not really my thing. I'm not particularly happy with the flesh, but I think it's the best I can do at this stage.

Nice that there's some warmer weather, bur doesn't 23 degrees seem coll by comparison with the heatwave?

D

Deleted member 6559

This is what he looks like now:

100_2862.JPG100_2864 (2).JPG100_2865.JPG100_2866.JPG

The first part of this session involved painting his back and then the shoulder straps. I also adjusted some of the flesh tones over the whole figure to try and get the lighting to make sense.

Then it was on to the shoulder guard. This was very intricately detailed and took ages. The metal parts were painted with mixtures of Vallejo Bronze and Old Gold, with Silver for the details, all mixed with black brown for shading.

Next the helmet, which I've been looking forward to.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Looking superb and rather outside your comfort Zone I imagine so well done.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This is stunning Peter. The strapping detail is wonderful. Another stunner. Bring on the helmet:thumb2:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
So much flesh Mr.D.Nicely painted mate.Just wish they would stop using my body for references!!!.
Top work.
Richard.

Reactions: JR