Z gauge layout made from odd bits...

O

old tom

Hi,

I just got an e-mail from this forum saying I hadn't posted for quite a while so I guess I'll show you what I've been up to.

I bought a basic Marklin Z gauge set and decided that it's so small that I'll have a go at making the whole layout for nothing. And I have!

First off, idea of scale:

Standing next to a Hornby OO Duchess

Started off with an old pine shelf and a bit of foam to give some contours:

Next, applied some plaster of paris, painted it a basic colour, made a cut-out of a mine to see what it might look like:

Made the mine out of blocks of wood, added some 'water' and made the rest of the buildings and the water tower:

I also made a car:

And even two mining trucks:

I'm in the process of landscaping the rest of it (all made from scenic materials left-over from my OO layout) and hopefully it will be complete :smiling:

Total cost:

£0.00!

I'll keep you posted and make a short YouTube vid of the train running round.

Cheers

N

new to trains

amazing.........love Z scale.....just so expensive.....

G

Geoff Cropper

Hi Tom, Thats amazing, real miniature modelling, well done that man. How the heck did you make those mine trucks ? I hope you put the axle pins in to keep the wheels on. ha,ha. regards Geoff.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Tom,

That's amazing stuff! How did you make your water?

Gern

F

Fenlander

Superb work. I would love a layout but I neither have the space nor the funds to do it. However, this shows how week my last argument is. Still so expensive or the rolling stock etc. I did consider 'N' gauge at one point but just could not afford it. Lovely to see the traditional craft of landscaping going on though, far too easy to buy it all ready made.