£1 Battery-powered paint stirrer

D

dubster72

Hi All,

Having lost my Badger paint stirrer, I had been using a Dremel with a length of sprue, but that was unwieldy so I looked for something else. And while performing one's daily hygiene routine with my nasal trimmer in my hand, I had a Eureka moment!

Why not use an old trimmer I had in the drawer?? So here's how I did it, pretty simple really!

I've tried it with Tamiya paint & it works a treat. It also works with Humbrol enamel tins, but I'd get it started with manual stirring to break up the sediment first.

And for those troublesome Vallejo paints.....

Take off the top of the dropper bottle

And the stirrer goes in nicely! No more risking premature arthritis with all that shaking!

Cheers

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very good idea. I'm now on the hunt for one!

I've been stirring White Ensign enamels by hand the last few days and they really do need some stirring.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great idea patrick , i use a similar contraption myself , a converted coffee frother ! I put a piece of wire in mine and bent the end into a triangle shape so its balanced and doesnt wobble too much when its whizzing around at about 1000 rpm !!! Top idea mate , how about sticking this, in the new "How to" section , im sure loads of people will find this very useful , cheers tony

First Name
Aaron
Great tip and it should help with those bloddy premade washes, I have to narely shake my arm off getting those to consistancy. Cheers Patrick.

T

tecdes

That is ingeneous Patrick. Very clever. Like ideas like this we have forgotten to use our noddles in this world of everything.

Can you think up something for shaking Vallejo bottles Patrick. The only thing I have found so far is a Dentists mixer unit. But it is £40.

The only thing I have come up with so far is 4 discarded battery operated tooth brushes in a tumbler with the Vallejo bottle in the middle.

Laurie

C

CDW

Great idea patrick....thanks

\ said:
Can you think up something for shaking Vallejo bottles Patrick. The only thing I have found so far is a Dentists mixer unit. But it is £40.
Laurie, Have you got (or can you get your hands on) an old variable speed jigsaw?

Make a contraption to hold a bottle with a solid connection to the jigsaw blade holder, set jigsaw to low speed, lock the power on and let it shake the bottle.

D

dubster72

I'm glad this has been of help to people, it's funny how idea's come to us!

Laurie, it works with Vallejo paints if you take the dropper bit off the bottle. I still give mine a shake for luck though!

However, rather than vibration, I'm thinking spinning ;) perhaps something that would fit onto a drill at at slow speed? I like Colin's jigsaw idea, although they're kinda noisy! Worth trying if there's an old one laying around.

Cheers

Patrick

W

wbk666

cool. i have a spare nose hair trimmer, not sure how i ended up with two, maybe the wifes trying to tell me something

R

Robo

Got a drinks battery stirrer of e-bay for a couple of quid, cut the lump off the end of the stem then bent it to a right angle just the right size to fit into a Vallejo bottle, works a treat. Very important tip though, switch the damn thing off before you remove it from the bottle, been there done that cost me some new curtains lol.