“Best” Aluminium Paint

First Name
Gary
I’ve been using Vallejo Air Aluminium paint for the small parts but I have been disappointred in the finish. I haven’t been priming with black to be fair which I will do as I read that makes the aluminium pop. I have been adding a drop of Tamiya Chrome which seems to help and will try on a dark primer. I could always stick with that if there’s nothing better out there

But I note there is another Vallejo Aluminium and a host of other metallic colours that are not Air. Are these better I assume with different pigment mix ? Looking at their website it’s hard to tell. I don’t want shiny chrome but just a good aluminium effect. Happy to consider other makers as I won’t be airbrushing just brushing the small parts

Thanks

Last edited:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Vallejo Air is specifically for airbrushing and you will struggle to get a good result with a brush. The regular Vallejo paints are much thicker and suit brushes better.

First Name
Gary
Thanks Jack makes sense looking at their paint specs. I’ll give it a go and I see they do a set of those metal metallics so might as well go all in as well as an aluminium ;)

Last edited:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks Jack makes sense looking at their paint specs. I’ll give it a go and I see they do a set of those metal metallics so might as well go all in as well as an aluminium ;)
I have a couple of Model Air Metallic colours, and they airbrush extremely well, I don't think I have any regular metallics for brushwork though so can't advise there I am afraid.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
The best in my opinion is Vallejo metal color but this is really for airbrush, never found one for the hairy stick that I'm happy with although I'm sure they must exist maybe others can help there. Agree with Jack L regarding Vallejo paints.

First Name
Gary
These are for teeny tiny parts and not always easy to airbrush so I guess I shouldn’t be so fussy and just get a small tin of good aluminium paint from Humbrol, Revel or Tamiya that is better for nice 00 brushes

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
These are for teeny tiny parts and not always easy to airbrush so I guess I shouldn’t be so fussy and just get a small tin of good aluminium paint from Humbrol, Revel or Tamiya that is better for nice 00 brushes

I have used all three brushing on my F1 cars - in my opinion Tamiya is by far the best. Mega-stirring required, that seems to be the secret with metallic paints, certainly enamels.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
While we're here, does anyone have any tips on how to avoid the "sinking" of the metallic parts of the paint? Even with a big ol' stir, it happens very rapidly requiring constant agitation.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Humbrol Aluminium are rather good. They do two a matt "white aluminium" and a more shiny one they both paint well with both air brush and a hairy stick.

First Name
Gary
I'm going to buy 2-3 different types to try. The Vallejo Air Aluminium looks light grey with no metallic in it when dry. Airbrushing might help but I also want a brushable one for those bits alredy fitted.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Garry, I don't possess an A.B. preferring to brush paint all my stuff. I use Vallejo Model Air acrylics. I prefer this rather than Model Colour, as it is already thinned down and works a treat when brush applied straight from the bottle. Keep in mind, the first coat will not have much 'body' but the second will make it pop, so it will take a couple of coats to get the desired result, especially the metallics. I used Vallejo Air Aluminium 71062 on a recent Mustang build on here and I was happy with the final aluminium finish.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use Darkstar and find them excellent......mind you, in the past I’ve used Humbrol and really liked that as well.....if you are spraying then Alclad are excellent, but are a bit smelly, being lacquers.

First Name
Gary
Garry, I don't possess an A.B. preferring to brush paint all my stuff. I use Vallejo Model Air acrylics. I prefer this rather than Model Colour, as it is already thinned down and works a treat when brush applied straight from the bottle. Keep in mind, the first coat will not have much 'body' but the second will make it pop, so it will take a couple of coats to get the desired result, especially the metallics. I used Vallejo Air Aluminium 71062 on a recent Mustang build on here and I was happy with the final aluminium finish.
I use Air for brushing as well Ron. For the same reasons as you. It brushes beautifully. I think the nature of the parts, very thin wheel suspension, isnt helping as any metallic would stuggle because of lack of reflection in such a tiny area. Maybe I'm expecting too much as it seems Ok on larger areas. Reminding myself that aluminium is generally a fairly muted effect and not shiny and sparkly like chrome.

I'll have play though. Who said this hobby was cheap ? No one thats who....:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I used to use the 'old' Vallejo metal colours but as you've found, they are pants.

The 'new' Vallejo Metal Color range is fantastic. I've used it on my P-38 build (link found in my sig). They are great to airbrush and also they go on great with a normal brush. The bottles come with a ball bearing in them so they are easy to mix. Decent range of colours too.

First Name
Gary
I was looking at those today Alan. Thats one of the ones I'll be getting. Reading specs and a review they seem to have a denser mix of colour. and it shows on that lovely P38. And I like a good ball bearing.

Update: I have two bottles of Vallejo Air Aluminium. never thought about trying the second. It was fine with a nice satin aluminium clours. Investigated the first bottle and 60% of the paint was a huge solid lump of mettalic. It must have been old stock. However after much pummelling and breaking up with a brush handle its now loose and the paint is OK. I wouldnt use it for AB mind you as there are bits in it but its OK for small components. So I've got for spraying still but I will try the Metal and Humbrol for brushing. Just to be safe

Last edited: