1/10 Saxon Thane Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Paul. And seeing your portrait there, I knew he reminded me of someone.....

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning paint work Peter. What is the colour of the throw? Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us with the shield

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - The cloak is done in Vallejo Emerald Green.

For the shield, I thought this would be good:

ymwTQEn.png

It's a Wessex Wyvern, symbol of the ancient Saxon kingdom of Wessex (also the symbol for the 43rd Infantry Regiment - 'The Fighting Wessex Wyverns' - and Southampton's gay rugby team!).

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Wow, only been away for a couple of days and another masterpiece nearly done. I say keep the visor as it adds to the overall appearance rather than detracts. Great work Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Mick - Thanks. The visor is staying - it hides the rough painting around the eyes!

Ralph - Many thanks. Almost finished.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
it's going to be EPIC as usual.. can't wait...

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Your drapery and metalwork are always a pleasure to see, and this is no exception.

Just the shield to go, the Dragon looks like a solid choice.

I shall be having a new right knee on the 18th, 90 minutes, on the operating table, with a spinal block.
2-3 days in hospital, then home for Christmas, physio and hopefully some bench time.

Hopefully with reducing pain too. It has been very distracting for the past months.

I guess you will be casting round for your next project too?

Frosty here in the North, hopefully not too chilly where you are

Have a good day on the shield

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Greg - Cheers big man.

Steve - That's some Christmas present. Sounds pretty major, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Cold here, but no frost. Good flint hunting conditions at the moment - the cold and wet pop them to the surface. The dog gets extra long walks as a result.

A couple of things in the pipeline for my next project - thinking about getting in the modelling supplies to get me through Christmas, though with my new granddaughter here for a couple of weeks I predict more nappy changing than bench time.

D

Deleted member 6559

Finished:

100_3365.JPG100_3367.JPG100_3368.JPG100_3369.JPG

The shield was a bit of a labour of love. Painting the design was time-consuming though fairly straightforward. I then gave it a coat of Vallejo matt varnish prior to some weathering with antiquing wax, only so find that the red bled and stained the white. The antiquing wax also made the white too patchy, so there was nothing for it but to go over the whole thing again. That said, the process did soften the outlines quite nicely, but it was touch and go. The white looks very stark in the photo, but in reality the effect is a bit more subtle.

I also softened some of the shadows on the cape which looked a bit stark after varnishing.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Agree with Mick, stunning!
Freehanding the dragon show what a skilful painter you are...very nice indeed Peter:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 4539

Lovely painting and great work on the shield Peter:smiling3:.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps. This one was very enjoyable and actually took me five days - a record for a bust!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Perfection Peter.
I've plenty of grey hair should need any for colour matching !
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks John. I've got grey hair myself, but very little of it!

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter

I'm late to this one, just back from a weekend away, great job on this one - the chainmail is particularly well represented.

I know the eye shields are besedon evidence but they do hide the well sculpted and painted eyes, which is a bit of a shame.

Having your grand daughter home for a couple of weeks may distract the bench time, but I bet you will love being in 'granddad mode'! Perhaps you need is one of those papouse type carriers so you can carry her and still have your hands free for painting!!!:smiling4::smiling4:

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Peter

I'm late to this one, just back from a weekend away, great job on this one - the chainmail is particularly well represented.

I know the eye shields are besedon evidence but they do hide the well sculpted and painted eyes, which is a bit of a shame.

Having your grand daughter home for a couple of weeks may distract the bench time, but I bet you will love being in 'granddad mode'! Perhaps you need is one of those papouse type carriers so you can carry her and still have your hands free for painting!!!:smiling4::smiling4:

Peter
Peter ...no doubt available in all good trendy art supply shops.

Thank you Mr Day .
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter Many thanks. My daughter does have a carrying sling, but as both her brother and sister are still at home, there will be plenty of arms to take the strain. Of course I can't wait.

John - :thumb2:.