1/10th vive lempereur, col-burthe 4th hussars

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Sterling work so far. Nice to see it ready for paint. Will there be any issues with painting the head seperately and then fitting it to the body.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good under primer Steve. Personally I’ve never got on well with black primer on figures. I find it very hard to get a good top colour on it, especially with whites and redd. It will be good to see how you approach this so I can learn from you.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve
Sterling work so far. Nice to see it ready for paint. Will there be any issues with painting the head seperately and then fitting it to the body.
Jim

Thanks Jim, The head will be painted at the same time as the body, for the skin colours, and fitting , after a quick check, will be okay, but for a small piece of filler needed at the front, which i can blend in.

3d scan photo;

PA080018.jpg

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good under primer Steve. Personally I’ve never got on well with black primer on figures. I find it very hard to get a good top colour on it, especially with whites and redd. It will be good to see how you approach this so I can learn from you.

For some reason the grey tamiya primer just didnt want to stick, came off in places - and thats after a bath in soapy water, rinsed and left to air dry. this Citadel primer just covers anything. Most if not all will be covered with the first dark grey coat of paint misted on the horse and built up from there.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ah, I see. Funnily enough Steve, I had a similar issue with Tamiya white primer recently. I couldn’t understand why the figure was continually covered with white powder! I wonder if they’ve changed the formula? I’ve been using Alclad ever since, for no other reason except I had some on the shelf. Not sure what I’ll buy when it runs out.

D

Deleted member 6559

Considering the amount of filling and sanding involved Steve, having found only that small anomaly at the front shows you've done a great job.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Spent a few enjoyable hours (need to get out more
:(
:)
:rolling: :smiling2: ) over the last week cleaning up all the bits and bobs, now in their storage box, they dont look so daunting to assemble;

20210115_151456_resized.jpg

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
For some reason the grey tamiya primer just didnt want to stick, came off in places - and thats after a bath in soapy water, rinsed and left to air dry. this Citadel primer just covers anything. Most if not all will be covered with the first dark grey coat of paint misted on the horse and built up from there.
Funny you said that about Tamiya, I'm not sure if they've changed how they make paints in general but I've given up on them and now have a box of them to shift sometime in the future. Have been playing around with Vallejo model color/air, following recommendations, and found them so much better plus they don't stink, the dogs used to sneeze when in my work room, but not any more.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got the horse into the spraying room (otherwise known as the Utility room ). Used Vallejo Model air, which last time out were a disaster as no matter what PSI setting, dilution ration nothing would come out of the airbrush, so i had a look on YouTube and found this video, which was a godsend and explained about adding a nut to the bottle BUT only shake the bottle as if you were ringing one of those bell they used to have in hotels, from side to side and in a circular motion until you could quite easily here the ball bearing rolling around.. I ordered some 3mm ball bearings from Amazon on Saturday and Sunday mid morning they arrived, so were duly added (2) into the bottles and followed the tip and voila, sprayed beautifully straight from the bottle. only had one clogged tip during the whole 30 mins of spraying so was well pleased;

1.jpg

First Coat 71.047 Grey, all over the body;

2.jpg

Second coat 71.119 White Grey, starting to build up the overall colour, denser sprayed onto higher areas, muscle tones;

3.jpg

Third Coat 71.001 White, this was first painted as random patches on the flanks and front areas;

4.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

and then the same colour was misted over the whole horse, slowly building up the colour;

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg5.jpg

Next is to start adding darker colours to the lower areas of the legs and also to bring the head to life;

11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work. Not easy to get a grey sorted, especially one that big! Like the mottling especially.

D

Deleted member 6559

Brave man tackling a grey Steve, but that's certainly the way to go about it. Lovely work.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Having managed to find a large image of the original painting by Edouard Detaille on which the model is based, it appears that one of the bridle straps is a reddish brown colour. The Tassels look like a greyish colour, you can clearly see a comparison between the black leather strap and the Tassel, which doesn't seem to have anything to so with light been reflected of them ?

Tassels.JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Steve. Wouldn't have the good to tackle anything like this.

Keep up the most excellent work.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The tassels may be made from silver lace like material? It looks like the headpiece on the horse is decorated with similar material. the leather looks like it might only be black on one side. Look at the long curly bit to the left of your “black leather” label, it’s black one side and natural leather on the other.
I would question his horse detail though, I think the nose should have some pink skin showing around the nostrils etc. Have a look at net images to see what I mean.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Casting/ mould line removed and the damaged paint work re sprayed. Used panzer putty to outline the saddle and then wrapped the rest of the horse in clingfilm and sprayed the dark blur, in various layers and shades of prussian blue. Will need more highlights and shadows adding.

20210124_203637.jpg20210124_203535.jpg
20210124_203521.jpg