1/12 Airfix Imperial Guard Grenadier

First Name
Wouter
Hi Neil, some nice bit of sculpting and extra detailing you have going on here. I always liked the Napoleontic age, besides that Napoleon Bonaparte is the most important historic person ever, I really like how the armies dressed their soldiers. So much more interesting than modern day stuff :smiling2:. Looking forward to see how this unfolds!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Just caught up with this Neil. The detail work here is magnificent - this figure will be transformed. Beautiful work.
It'll be interesting to see how you tackle the raquettes - that does look a challenge. One I think you're very much up for!!!
Brilliant stuff
Paul
Cheers Paul and welcome to the madness! As I said earlier, i had always fancied building this kit and almost bought it on ebay a couple of times.I never imagined it would turn into such an epic though! Enjoyably so, of course ;)

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil, some nice bit of sculpting and extra detailing you have going on here. I always liked the Napoleontic age, besides that Napoleon Bonaparte is the most important historic person ever, I really like how the armies dressed their soldiers. So much more interesting than modern day stuff :smiling2:. Looking forward to see how this unfolds!
Cheers Wouter , nice to have you along. I do agree about Napoleonic uniforms.
More than half way there now,I think:thumb2:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Will you look at that !? Getting better and better Neil.
Thanks Peter- it's all your doing!
Every now and then I wonder what one could do with others of the range, and then I think about how much (admittedly enjoyable) work this has been ,and then I stop wondering............
I saw some of these, and some conversions at Cosford last year and I thought they looked quite good- I wonder if whoever did them had put in as much effort to get them to look half way decent? I will look a lot closer next time I see one.
Peter, don't think I am ungrateful- I am thoroughly enjoying this, but I wouldn't do another one in a hurry.
That said, in terms of material cost versus hobby time that would make them quite good value!
Maybe I'll get a couple in for my retirement.............

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - I'm not sure I would have passed it on to you if I thought it was going to take this much work. That said, I'm glad I did because we're being treated to a masterclass. Don't worry, I wouldn't buy another.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil - I'm not sure I would have passed it on to you if I thought it was going to take this much work. That said, I'm glad I did because we're being treated to a masterclass. Don't worry, I wouldn't buy another.
As I say, Peter, I'm glad you did because I am really enjoying it-and I was looking at them myself anyway.. It's only my own foibles that's made it the epic that it's become

First Name
Wouter
Thanks Wouter.
what a great name- Grognard, I had forgotten that one
Yeah, the French have a great language, and I really love the nickname for the Old Guard :D which - for those who don't know what it means - translates roughly in grumpy or grouchy ones.

Cheers