1/12 Neanderthal Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_3269.JPG

I've long been interested in human prehistory (some will remember my ever-growing flint collection), so for my next bust I decided to opt for this offering from Heroes and Villains - a 1/12 bust of a Neanderthal.

The continuing advances in gene sequencing technology have recently helped establish that around 30% of the Neanderthal genome still exists, spread out among the world's population. A lot of people in the UK have between 3% to 7% Neanderthal genes. So although they died out around 24,000 years ago, they can be said to live on in Homo Sapiens, though I suspect that we may have had something to do with their disappearance. This is a picture of a well-known Hollywood actress adjusted to look Neanderthal:

5428e25a426b92240921436f6ce90128.jpg

It's often said that given a shave and a suit, the average Neanderthal would pass without notice on the London Tube.

This is what was in the box:

100_3268.JPG

A nicely sculpted piece with loads of texture and supplied in three parts. I wanted to paint him as a resident of Europe at the end of the last , so that meant a light skin like this bloke:

mg21328470.400-1_300.jpg

Here are my initial efforts:

100_3271.JPG100_3273.JPG

I was disappointed to find that the skin was quite rough and uneven and wouldn't take the paint well, so it ended up as a bit of a struggle. Still, given the small scale I think it works (just).

D

Deleted member 6559

Continuing the theme, I thought you may be interested to see this week's finds:

100_3274.JPG

Four hand-axes, an arrowhead and two small blades. None likely to be Neanderthal - the hand-axes are much older (200,000+ years).

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
A very good start, and in the right category, this is a long way pre WWI

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
It must take a keen eye and a lot of experience to pick out those artifacts. I would not recognise them for what they are.
Bust is most unusual. The fur cape will be a challenge. He looks rather like a geography teacher I had at secondary school.
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's a great start Peter, is there an after pic of the actress? and I'm sure I've seen him on the tube :smiling2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Looks like a few people I know! Looking for flints gets a bit obsessional. I was in the middle of the field today, completely cut off by fog, shivering and muddy, but thinking ''just five more minutes.......''

Mick. It's Scarlett. The tube is full of Neanderthals.....

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Great choice Peter

I think Scarlet looks better for it, she could be in Lord of the Rings.

I saw the same programme, though I must admit, you probably don't need a suit to hide in London! LOL

I thought the most fascinating fact was the purest Homo Sapiens with no Neanderthal DNA are the sub Saharan Africans.

Fascinating programme

Great start too, I think I saw him pushing trolleys at Asda.

Have a good weekend with the paints

Cold snap next week

Brrrr!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

It's all fascinating stuff Steve.

It's also possible that because European Neaderthals were so well adapted to the Ice Age environment, mating with them passed on genes that helped our species cope better with non-African environments. They may also have given us disease genes that adversely affect the way we react to infections, so you can't win them all.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very informative and interesting Peter.I share your passion for history and foraging for artifacts.When we were younger we used to happen across old pillboxes near where i used to live.Hitler must die was written on one in the wet concrete.We found a cache of discarded home guard ammo once and had police and army come a knocking!!.I havent been fossil hunting lately so must go for a ramble.and hunt soon. Ive never seen this bust before i must say.
Hes a looker thats for sure mate.Great start.
Richard.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Interesting and unusual subject. Good start to it. The fur looks very nicely sculpted.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Hi.I remember as a kid when we used to travel up to Colchester from Hullbridge (South Essex) that there seemed to be hundreds of pillboxes scattered over that part of the countryside - flat, invasion-friendly land?

Peter - It's a nice looking bust, a fairly recent release I believe. Unfortunately, painting brings out quite a rough finish, particularly on the areas of exposed flesh - lots of nicks and bumps. A shame.

D

Dave S4

It's a very nice piece of work nonetheless.
I agree with you about human prehistory; fascinating subject.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww down please!!:smiling5::smiling3::smiling2::smiling:

Your work is like a fine wine which needs to mellow over time, sipped and enjoyed in a relaxing environment. This is simply stunning. An unusual subject matter which you have brought to life wonderfully well. Were you influenced by your collection of all things stone age found in your local fields??

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

Steve - Well, when trying to paint the flint spear head I only had to look at some real flints lying on the window sill behind me for reference.

The trouble with busts is that they don't take as long as full figures. Sorry!

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Scottie

The fur turned out to be the easiest bit. Just dragging a lightly loaded brush over the textured surface brought up the highlights.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, I thought I'd give it a day or two before coming in...blimey you're finished. The roughness of the bust gives the texture and I think that makes the painting of the skin look aged with lots of creases from harsh outdoor weather.:thumb2:

Seen some of these blocks around town mostly guarding entertainment outlets. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard