1/125 U-BOAT WRECK-RE-TINKERED. OPINIONS PLEASE.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi guys,

My oldie sunken 1/125 scale U-boat is going to the Harrogate model engineering show in May as part of my local boat club stand.

I have tinkered with it by adding some rust. What I want is opinions from modellers, there will be all manner of people at this show and modellers will be some of them so here is the questions:

Does it look okay with the rust weathering?

Does it look over the top?

Does it enhance the overall look of the model or detract from it?

I apologise for the pictures as they are taken inside and with a flash, so the colours do look more vibrant than in natural light.

I am preparing a few models to go so am tidying up and sorting out before I go with them. I posted this model as I wanted to add more rust to it from the start but was unsure about it until I got used to adding rust pigments, have I gone over the top or does it work? You tell me guys. I normally would think it looks okay, but, to be honest I am nervous about going and showing my wares, so thought getting some feedback would help.

All honest opinions and crit welcome, as I have time to tone down if I need to.

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 79747

View attachment 79748

View attachment 79749

DSCF2775.JPG

DSCF2770.JPG

DSCF2785.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Si, I always get twitchy about making suggestions about other folks models, having been publicly lambasted and ridiculed by a modeller on another forum for daring to offer up a suggestion that perhaps this and that might be a good idea.......

But I know I'm on safe ground with you, as you will accept the following in good faith, so here goes.....

To my eyes the model is excellent as it is and fit for any show table, so below is just a brain storm really....

It depends on what you're after, but I wonder if the model might look 'eu natural' bedded in the seabed a bit, rather than on it? Also, perhaps a bit more blue/grey poking through the barnacles here and there on the hull sides to break the growth up a bit?

Perhaps a bit of long weed, such as kelp might help.

To really put the ice on the cake, how about a hole in the side with the ribs showing?

As I've written, the model would be fine put in a box until the reveal in May......So best just ignore my ramblings!!!! lol

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I always get twitchy about making suggestions about other folks models, having been publicly lambasted and ridiculed by a modeller on another forum for daring to offer up a suggestion that perhaps this and that might be a good idea.......

But I know I'm on safe ground with you, as you will accept the following in good faith, so here goes.....
I know what you mean Ron. Don't understand folk who ask for advice then blast you down when you give it. I look at all advice given and take what I need. It is a good opportunity for others to spot something and highlight something I may have missed. No issue on that count, crit away.

Right, to the nub of it: I agree with you, in hindsight the model would have looked better slightly more bedded in, it does have slight damage on both sides and holes and I wanted to keep those, also there is a dedication plaque so thought the idea was as a 'desk-piece' instead of a dio type. But I do see your point. The hull colour could be a tricky one, had another look and there really is no way I could add this without it looking plonked on, the rust is fine as you get that rusty concretion look...that would have been interesting too, should have thought about that before I welded the scree on.

The weed is a great idea, will have to see if I have some lying about, never thought of that.

Damage wise, I may bugger up the model, causing the scree to crack and then have to re-do it, the model is really stuck down using a silicone adhesive.

You do not ramble on Ron...Rambling Ron...you have raised some good points and I tried to have another look to see if they would work, and some will and won't...well I dare not tackle in case of severe knack up. I know my reply sounds more like a negative and why did the silly sod ask for opinions then not bother...type of thing but far from it. You have given me food for thought and spotted some potential new ideas, if I cannot implement on this model then on a different one I can incorporate them.

So, your opinions on this is very valued, so thank you very much.

D

dubster72

I think it looks fine Si. With all the crusty stuff on the hull, you're not going to get the same effect as with bare metal.

I'd probably add some darker brown in places to tone the orange down a tad &

add a bit of variation.

Cheers

Patrick

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I think it looks fine Si. With all the crusty stuff on the hull, you're not going to get the same effect as with bare metal.I'd probably add some darker brown in places to tone the orange down a tad &

add a bit of variation.

Cheers

Patrick
The new rust colour doesn't look too bad in normal light, but saying that, think you could right, some old rust in a light wash may just tone it down. Cheers Patrick for taking the time to comment and for pointing that out and making me have another look.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
following on from the lads there pointed out what i would off said, with a little bit more dark rust

the seafloor , with ripple in the sand, is a great idea, as remember its has sat on the bottom off the ocean for 60 years or more

I real do think it looks great

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
following on from the lads there pointed out what i would off said, with a little bit more dark rustthe seafloor , with ripple in the sand, is a great idea, as remember its has sat on the bottom off the ocean for 60 years or more

I real do think it looks great
Thanks Moni. Not going to do anything with the sea floor as it is the sub that is the main focus...but you never know lol.

I have taken yours and others advice and toned down the rust, looks a lot better, so thank you for your input.