1/142 Revell North Sea Fishing Trawler .. A voyage to the fishing grounds of the Arctic. Building the vessel.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been quietly pootling along building this nice looking kit for a few weeks now.
Initially I was going to make it in to a rusty old wreck, but it's too nice a kit to trash - not just yet anyway!

I'm going to try and model her leaving port, head butting the North Sea and then in the Arctic fishing grounds.

Unfortunately I made a start before I remembered to take the sprue pictures......:upside:
So here's the box art and remaining sprues.

P1200411.JPG

Two little crew members are included.( below the coil of rigging)
P1200433.JPG

Two piece hull glued together and foredeck added. I was going to hack off the lower hull but I'll need some of it left on for future use......:thinking:
P1200434.JPG

Nice moulded deck detail but the deck planking is way too wide and will have to be scraped off using an old wood chisel. - Sorry G.C. Race!
P1200435.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Attachments

• P1200435.JPG
    P1200435.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 5

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
These old Revell boats, all odd scales, make up rather well. It will look great heading out from Hull or Grimsby. You're good at these sea scapes. As a child I went to school in Hull and regularly watched the trawlers heading out. I thought for a moment it was planned to go on the Normandy village dio instead of ducks! :tongue-out3:
Jim

First Name
Steve
Very nice kit Ron i have always had a soft spot for fishing boats, and yes i think it's to nice to trash.

All the best Steve.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron !
Not as bad as some miss use of chisels I've seen. I have been known to do the same .
Looking fwd to the water seascape.
John .

First Name
Steve
Ron don't forget my box of frozen cod, lol, looking forward to the progess of this one.

Steve.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, nice to have you all along for the voyage.....Cast off, me 'arties!

I'll be using brushed on Vallejo Model Air acrylics. Just as well, 'cos if it was Model Colour, I would have had to thin the paints using up some valuable tap water!

First coat applied to hull, deck and the start of the superstructure. Foredeck left in white plastic for now.

Yes I know - "Jeez Ron, that looks rough!" No hurry though. 'Patience is a virgin.' Such is the brush painter's lot. But consider this, I'm introducing weathering streaks with each subsequent coat, no need to worry if a bit of paint goes where it shouldn't, so no need for any masking tape. I can cut in neater later if required. This is going to be a hard working trawler, so neat paintwork goes out of the window! (within reason)

P1200437.JPG

Wide deck planks scraped off. I've left a few on here and there. I don't like dark coloured wooden decks. I prefer a bleached, hit and miss look.
P1200438.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A bit late to the party Ron. Nice to see such variety on your blogs. Great stuff.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Steve.

Here's the superstructure. Again, most of the detail is moulded in.

This section contains only 5 pieces.
Neat painting, what!
P1200439.JPG

...hatches painted and a bit of squiggle painting to darken the interior prior to fitting the superstructure.
I've given the main deck a couple of coats of different shades to vary the bleached planking. Keep in mind this is a hard working trawler.....
P1200470.JPG

A word of advise here to anyone about to, or thinking about building this model. You can just see some white plastic card fixed to the sides of the superstructure. This was necessary in order to fill the huge gap between it and the upper deck. So unless I dropped a bo***ck somewhere you might have the same problem. Just beware...:thumb2:
P1200471.JPG

Hull painted and ready for weathering. I don't use masking tape, preferring to run a suitable piece of wood around the hull marking with a pencil as I go merrily along, then paint freehand.
P1200472.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Attachments

• P1200439.JPG
    P1200439.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon Ron .
Nice result on that timber.
John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers chaps.
Cutting out all the small bridge windows is beyond my skills, so I've decided to paint the 'glass'

Still a bit of tidying up to do around the window frames, but I'm happy enough with it.

Superstructure fitted.
P1200481.JPG

P1200482.JPG

One piece deck winch fixed and partly weathered.
P1200499.JPG

Thank for looking.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Always impressive work and this is heading to be another great result. Windows do look good.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. Much appreciated.

I've made a start on some weathering of the main deck. Traditionally, these trawlers fished off the starboard side, so I will do most of the deck 'stains' from fish guts/ oil and general fishy bits on that side.

P1200500.JPG

Weathering and wear started on the hull.
P1200508.JPG

First coat on rear deck.....Yuk!
Another note of warning to would be builders of this kit. The funnel has no top to it, just a big gaping hole, so this will need to be filled in. I used plastic card and then cut out the top of this to whatever looked something like - Your choice....:thumb2:
P1200505.JPG

Front bit with two coats of deck paint. Back bit with just one, so don't despair ye brush hands, all will come good eventually.
P1200509.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Steve. I do like a well bleached deck!

Second coat on rear deck. Brush marks still visible, so I might give it all a third coat.
P1200519.JPG

When starting any weathering process I like to be a bit rough around the edges.....:upside: This will bring out some nice staining when I cut in the second coat of ochre acrylics over the dark deck colour.
P1200521.JPG

Titchy boat! I've stuck a piece of toilet tissue over the top of the boat to simulate a tarpaulin cover.
P1200516.JPG

....a bit of shade variation for the clinker planking and sewing cotton for the tie-downs.
P1200517.JPG

All comments and suggestions, good, bad, indifferent....or physically impossible, gratefully received.......:flushed:!

Cheers all.
Ron