1/142 Revell North Sea Fishing Trawler .. A voyage to the fishing grounds of the Arctic. Building the vessel.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Its the heat Ron , Steve gets effected, Matron is going around to night to give him his weekly injection after Iv'e had mine.
Looking good , but I say bring on the sea, looking fwd to that part.

Yours Admiral Race .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent posts boys!
Moving swiftly on.....

The handrails. The kit ones are very thick. I believe you can get aftermarket ones. You know my views on that stuff, so O.O.B. it is. I filed down the rails as much as I dared. Near enough for me. Just for show, the lighter rail is bare plastic, the others I have painted in vintage white and added a bit of rust too. The anchor winch and the wave deflector thingy have been added. Also I fixed the fishing net pulley arrangement.
P1200522.JPG

Here's the stern railings and the stern net pulley.
P1200525.JPG

Remember my earlier rough deck painting and the reason behind it? See how the coat of Ochre over the grey over-spill has left a slight stain ...luuurvely!
P1200524.JPG

Stage finish.
P1200523.JPG

Cheers.
Roger, the Cabin Boy

First Name
Steve
Don't make the nets to big Ron don't want my cod escaping, i would imagin you already have an idea for the nets ?.

Steve.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking good. Paint job is fine. Railings are always too thick but your thinning has improved then no end.
Get weaving that net.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys..... all good stuff.

Both main masts added. I made those dark boards out of plastic card.

P1200541.JPG

Remember how I let the dark deck paint go over the sides a bit? As planned, the subsequent coat of ochre didn't cover properly and has left a slight staining around the edges.
P1200537.JPG

Decals and rigging to do and the supplied kit is finished. I'll add some 'extras' before I finally rig the vessel.
P1200539.JPG

P1200540.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks me 'arties!

Here is the trawler kit with decals added waiting for the rigging. Lovely kit, but rather basic. I've already added plenty of extras (which I've forgot to mention!) but I wanted to go a stage further and make it more like a working fishing vessel.

So in the next stage I will add some bits and bobs. Set about some more weathering then add the rigging.
P1200544.JPG

P1200552.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Steve. Unlike a battleship or sailing vessel. the rigging is not too complicated - Sez He!

Before I do get around to the rigging, I'll add some bits and pieces.

Starting at the bow.
These vessels only had one anchor. I've added some anchor chain. Scratch made a couple of bollards from a piece of sprue. Added a couple of hefty cleats. Did a bit of extras to the anchor haul up thingy, and that lump of something at the back of the foredeck I just stuck on for fun!

You can also just see a long box on the main deck made from plastic sheet and a couple of new anchor points for the mast rigging
P1200563.JPG

The kit anchor is flat and a bit basic, so I added a couple of hefty flukes to it.
P1200564.JPG

The decals are a bit long in the tooth and left a bit of 'silvering' Soon sorted with a bit more weathering.

Cheers.
Ron