1/142 Revell North Sea Fishing Trawler .. A voyage to the fishing grounds of the Arctic. Building the vessel.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Paul.....:thumb2:

I'm finally happy with the water's colour. I've tried to get a gradual transition between the brackish brown of the harbour and the blue/grey of the open sea. I added a crash barrier. (Top of the picture) to add a bit of summat extra to the scene.
Painted with poundshop type acrylics.

P1200611.JPG

It's now ready to add the trawler and as she's just chugging out to sea under the eagle eye of the Harbour Master, I'll create just a touch of wash with some silicone.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good. Colors look great & the barrier is an excellent touch. Will you add some gardening? PaulE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul.
I did consider some greenery and a lot more besides, but I want the trawler to be the centre piece so I reasoned any further additions might detract from the main subject - The vessel.

Also, I don't think much will be seen of the surroundings in the finished pictures. I'll be lucky to get the harbour walls in, let alone flowers.

Thanks for the input and suggestion none the less. I appreciate it.
Ron

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,
This is another great build from you. It is always a pleasure to see you create such great and detailed builds from everyday things.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Scottie - It's a throwback from way, way back when that's all there was to use. I guess old habits die hard. It's still good fun though.

Confession time.
What a balloon!
Guess what?

I took the final set of pictures of the finished scene earlier today. I've just took a blimp at them and realised I forgot to fix the Red Ensign to the stern flag pole!......:upside:
Bl***y Home brew.
Hey ho, tomorrow is another day......

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well bless my barnacles !
Thoroughly enjoyed this Ron, just shows what you can acheive as Paul says using everyday things. Including imagination with skill .
Admiral Race .Rtd .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks one and all for all your great posts. I enjoyed all the crack and general abuse during the build.

I've managed to get a few more pictures of the finished build - with the flag added...:thumb2: So I'll post up the finished model over in 'Ships Completed' a.s.a.p.

Now there's a question that's just occurred to me - Is a Trawler a ship or a boat?

Anyway, thanks once more for all your input. It's been a fun build for sure....

Cheers.
Ron

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mick may be correct. It's whatever the captain says it is. Although usually referred to as fishing boats, there are no hard & fast rules, but many conventions with countless exceptions. Great work in any case. PaulE

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just catching up after some down time.... Great Gods Ron you are good at these water scenes.! Great job.
Ship/boat. I believe that the technical boarder lies in A boat has only one or two decks. Where as a ship has loads of decks....As per every thing there are always exceptions to the rule. lol.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A ship may carry a boat, but a boat cannot carry a ship seems to be the only rule most ascribe to. Many submarines and fishing vessels have more than two decks, not to mention ferries. Some boats are ocean going & some ships ply only fresh water. Vessel seems to apply to all regardless. Interesting subject. PaulE