1/16 Carthaginian

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

10acdcefce981b7797c872007b745334.jpg27d7e989f262133165daf224d118fa35.jpg

Like the twit I am, I inadvertently ordered two Miniart Athenian Warrior kits. Having built the first, and as there's nothing else in the stash, I thought I'd build a second version with a couple of changes:

100_4855.JPG100_4856.JPG100_4857.JPG

I'd already raided this kit for parts when some of the original kit failed, so I had no helmet. I looked for an example of a simple design to replace it and found this Carthaginian example:

helmet_punic_wars.jpg

I made something up from a Dragon fallschirmjager helmet and scrap plastic. After finding that the kit head was too big, I found one that should fit, though I will probably need to provide him with a neck-cloth to get it to fit convincingly onto the cuirass:

100_5006.JPG

I don't have any shield decals either, so the design will have to be hand-painted from one of these examples:

CART_LAYOUT_4a.jpg

Lots to choose from there.

This may not work out........

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Have you managed to crack on with this one Peter?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

I put it away while I worked on the Dragon figures - my poor old brain can't concentrate on two projects at once. I did attach the head and start to build up some hair with Milliput, but I mucked it up and will have to have another go. This will be my next one.

First Name
Wouter
oh nice one mate. It's funny but never realize that the Carthaginian helmets were very similar to early Roman ones. Looking forward to see this one painted ^^

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Wouter.

I suppose that all over the Mediterranean the helmet styles would have derived from the ancient Greek pattern, and that weapons and equipment would have been copied.

First Name
Wouter
the late Roman ones were based on the helmets from the Celts but your explanation definitely makes sense. How's the weather over there? Today another heat wave is starting so sadly way too hot for modelling :/

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Wouter. Yes the example above certainly has a Celtic feel. I'm going to give mine some feathers as in the first illustration.

The weather here is hotting up, with the upper 30s predicted for mid week. My younger daughter is ending a month's Interrailing in Paris at the moment where it's expected to smash the record with 41 degrees. She should be home before that happens.

Done some work on the head:

100_5038.JPG100_5039.JPG

Once the head was stuck onto the cuirass, I modelled a neck-scarf with Milliput to hide the gap. I also modelled some hair to fill out the area under the helmet - the puttied areas will be refined once dry. The cheek guards are quite pronounced, so should balance it all out once fitted.

D

Deleted member 6559

Next stage:

100_5040.JPG

The arms and tunic. The problem with these Miniart figures is that you have to do quite a lot of work before you can even think of making changes. Here, I've given him new hands - he'll be holding the shield - and added some short sleeves, made from tubed crisp foil (you know the ones).

Too hot to do any more.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Building is always good when the paints don't flow.

Too hot to be bothered with nearly everything at the ,moment, and I am sure it gets hotter the further South you are.

Work is surprisingly cool, by comparison?

We had a real thunder and lightning storm at 2am, and it seems a little fresher at the moment.

Hope you have a good day with the build and sculpting, cooler weather by the weekend, so the BBC say!

And now its a Brave New Boris World, who would have thought a Gamma could climb so high!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

As I pack my bags to leave the country (enough said?) I'm trying to recover from a sleepless night with temperatures in the mid 20s and thunderstorms.

Daughter and granddaughter returning to Lewes today, so peace will ensue, with more time for modelling.

Still struggling with the medication and have bad foot problems at the moment, so a bit immobile. Seeing the doc about it all next week. Bloody diabetes!

Keep cool.

First Name
Wouter
Well, great talents are always welcome to come and live in Belgium Peter. It's not perfect here but not nearly as bad as on the other side of the pond politically speaking. And we are apparantly one of the only countries in the world where the gap between rich and poor hasn't grown the last year.

Plus, we got plenty of great beer :cool:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Wouter - My 17 year old son had a bottle of Duvel last night as it happens - he got very talkative after. Don't drink myself now - diabetes and anxiety.

OK, I think this one is more-or-less ready for paint:

100_5042.JPG

Put together the legs today, which took a lot of filling and sanding. I left off the kit apron as I will be adding one similar to the those in the second illustration above - best done after painting. I also decided to provide him with a Roman-style scabbard and dagger.

First Name
Wouter
Oh a Duvel ey? Your son knows his stuff. My favourite Belgian beer. Pitty you can't drink it mate.

The fellow is looking good there, looking forward to see the Mr. Day magic unfold ^^

Cheers

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Snap re: drinking, nothing for 15 years with my meds, just not good for my system

Vaping covers my other vice, but I still have modelling when my back , knees and headaches allow! LOL

Sad old man syndrome!

Good to see the construction is done, but probably still too hot to paint unless you switch to the night shift?

Take it easy and keep cool whatever you get up to.

Have a good day

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Wouts - The sad consequence of getting older. Had some American alcohol-free stuff a couple of nights ago, which was disgusting, and left nothing but a bad taste in the mouth.

Steve - Not happy with ageing at the moment. Bad foot problems, which may be due to diabetes, so off to the docs next week.

May box this one up and put it away for a rainy day. Too hot to paint and I've got some new kits arriving today. Conceived of a plan to use a nice Alpine U-Boat commander's head given to me by Ralph.

D

Deleted member 6559

It's nearly a month since I last worked on this one - just haven't had much enthusiasm for it.

Anyway, it's had a lick of paint today:

100_5190.JPG

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Paint looks good Peter, but the head looks a bit too small for the body?
Pete

D

Deleted member 6559

Yes it does Pete, and was one of the reasons I was iffy about it. I've decided not to carry on with it and put it down to experience. I may try a new head some day.