1/16 Cossack Figure

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

fc2d2c1b2b30d74fdcc651ecad90d54d--german-soldier-wwii.jpgCossackWW2-01.jpg

My next figure will be based on Tamiya's 1/16 Wehrmacht Officer kit:

100_6875.JPG100_6872.JPG

This is a poor relation to the other figures in the series, the pose being very stiff and the proportions a bit out, particularly the legs, which are too long. I've therefore decided to make some changes and try and depict a Cossack in German service. This will give the opportunity of introducing more colour at least.

This is what I've come up with:

100_6874.JPG

The head is from an old Verlinden figure, and will be posed looking slightly to the right, which should animate the thing a bit more. I've had to add the neck from the kit head so that it fits the collar, and if it looks too thick when painted I can always paint in a shirt collar.

The kit boots were too long and thin, and supplied in two poorly fitting parts, so I was happy to find this pair, which once belonged to another Verlinden Cossack. I cut them down slightly to try and improve the overall proportions of the figure.

The Tokarev holster, sword and binoculars are also from the spares box. The Wehrmacht collar tabs were removed and new shoulder boards made so that the correct insignia can be added.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
nice idea, Peter.
I always liked the cossack uniform.
I agree about the pose- I was going to suggest you tweak it a bit, but looking at the sprue shot it's a bit of a b*gger.:confused:

D

Deleted member 6559

I don't have your skills anyway Neil. A bit of gentle tweaking will have to do. Thanks for looking in.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice orthopaedic skills on the legs LOL

The head looks very Cossack ""y"" with the Papakha.

Do you have enough 1:16 medals to replicate the reference photo?

That would be cool.

Its another grey and cold day in the Groundhog loop!

Hopefully another day closer to a full recovery for all the patients

Take care and have as much fun as you can

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A nice subject to do. Shame about the initial pose but he looks a lot better now with all your tweaks

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H - Morning. The chap in the photo seems to be wearing mostly Tsarist medals, which I can't do, but I do have plenty of German awards that I can give him. Talk about Groundhog loop - the CV is back with a vengeance unfortunately. Cough, tight chest, general fatigue etc. A real b****r. However, we soldier on....

Stevie J - The main problem with the pose was that the legs were too long, so I feel I've remedied that slightly. There will also be a bit of detail to add, such as a cross-belt, sword strap and tassel, spurs etc.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Sounds like a good plan. Alterations have already impoved on the kit offering.
Jim

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A good idea for a conversion mate.My.wifes C.V comes and goes.Ive been in for a week and had to briefly venture out for food.Captain Mainwaring wouldnt approve of the pose.""If your arm goes any higher wilson they will think you are one of those nancy boys"".Tried e.mailing you again mate for catch up.
Pip pip onk onk.
Richard.

Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Hopefully a better day, if you are feeling up to it?

The news doesn't tell you about the virus having recurring relapses!

Take it easy and just recharge your batteries, we will all be here waiting with baited breath for the Cossack to make his 1st appearance in paint.

We had a surprise yesterday, a food parcel from the NHS!

Wow............................................

With all the Corvid worries, they still had time to deliver some basic foods to us and no doubt many of the other isolated vulnerable people on their list.

I guess it was prompted by my Dr's who texted me to say I had to stay in for 12 weeks!

We are still somewhat taken aback by such a generous gesture in such troubled times

its Clap the NHS night again, perhaps both our neighbours will get the message and get out to clap at 8pm?

I'm off to play with an Airfix Spitfire in the under a fiver GB, its been 50 years since I last did one!

Have a good day and take in easy

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I may put a horse whip into his left hand to try and explain the campness. No email as yet.

Steve - The virus seems to affect people in many and varied ways. My daughter in Lewes has it now, which is worrying as she's on her own with my granddaughter and has asthma. We'll keep in very close contact in case a mercy dash is required. Bravo the NHS for your food parcel - ain't they amazing? Katherine was due back at work today, but was persuaded by the team manager to stay st home. The team is being sent to the wards, so it's best not to take risks - no test kits have arrived for the NHS in this area.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm amazed your still managing to paint. In the words of Roy Castle "that's dedication".

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I was prompted by deep boredom. Had to have a sleep after though.

Neil and Ralph - Many thanks for looking in.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim - One of Verlinden's early, better efforts.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Peter
That is an excellent Cossacky face.
Jim

Morning Peter

My thoughts exactly, a very Russian ""look""

Love the shoulder boards and collar tabs too, nice research.

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I can add to the braille scale Spitfire!

Research is a fun part of the hobby without a blade!

Do you have to go to Lewes yet or is the patient managing at the moment?

As you are all going through it, I guess risk is quite small?

Last night had a slightly bigger turnout, but it seems several households have just disappeared?

Bizarre, as its only happened in the past 21 days?

Take care and all the best to the patients

Have a good day with a little painting to relieve the boredom

Regards

Steve H