1/16 German Infantryman

A

AJay

Just received this in the post today.

I've never done a figure before so after reading many reviews it seemed the Tamiya were the best value for money. The face on this model looks quite realistic if painted well, based on looking at what other builders have managed (not that I expect to do as well on my first attempt, of course)

I'm going to have my work well and truly cut out with this one! :smiling3:

I'll maybe paint my figure in winter camo. I did consider making him a medic, but then again he wouldn't be armed; I don't want to mess with the arms to make him carry something different.

Hmmm....I'll have a think

View attachment 36617

View attachment 40854

my figure build.jpg

A

AJay

Done a bit of research and think I'll go with 561 Volksgrenadiers-Division in early 1945, East Prussia. I'll show his reversible padded jacket worn white-side out while his trousers will be worn camo side out, as on the box art.

So - that's the easy part decided :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh that will be nice to paint.

Ian M

J

John Huggins

Hi alex, i found this a good figure to build & paint.

I think i posted it under ww2 figures & after, i must admit i did make a lot of modifications to it, but i would love to build it again some time with only slight modifications to it (like change his pose).

Good luck with this build Alex i will be keeping an eye on this one.

John.

A

AJay

Thanks, John.

I was working on this just last night (making sure no seam lines are visible, which is particularly difficult on the inside of the legs). I did actually say to myself - never again! haha. And just to think, the painting hasn't started yet. I have plenty of time though, so will keep at it. I'll see if I can see you build....

J

John Huggins

It's under ww1 and after if ur thinking of taking a look.

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
C'mon now Alex. In the words of my hero 'Oddball'...."No negative waves!"

We decided to have a go at this SIG and now we're stuck with it.lol

Now't wrong with your infantryman, he looks fine to me, so let's get stuck in and finish the b****y things together!

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks pretty good to me Alex. A good clean build that should be a doddle to paint, if you know what I mean.

A good tip is to drill a hole in the bottom of the heel of one of his boots and glue a length of sprue in it. It make holding it a cinch and prevents greasy finger prints. I big old ball of plasticine makes a good foot and counter weight.

Nope nowt to be ashamed of there. Go for it!

Ian M

P

Plastickitbasher

Looking good so far, don't give up keep going. When I started painting figures mine looked really naff but I'm getting better.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Alex dont knock yourself back its looking good with your painting skills it will turn out a good build keep at it mate ( dont forget its all FUN )

A

AJay

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments. Sometimes it's hard to forget it's supposed to be fun..... :smiling3:

J

John Huggins

So Alex whats new with the figure, cant see how it's comming on.

John

A

AJay

Thanks for asking, John. :smiling3:

I spent most of Sunday working on painting the winter camo jacket. I was concentrating on creating the light and shadow, and basically trying to make it appear like real material.

It looked pretty damn poor at the end of an all-day session so I've put it away in a box for a while while I regroup my enthusiasm....lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Alex, this looks fine to me. I really don't know why you're in a knot over the painting....

Why are you worried about trying to paint in things like light and shadow? There is no need....The folds in the material do that for you.....Just look at your pictures.

I truly don't see anything wrong with 'yer man!

A lesson I quickly learned is don't try and copy other stuff, particularily figures .We all have different takes on how we perceive a figure should look.

Where this figure lark is concerned, just keep it simple and work to your limitations.....I do!!

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
J

James Q

Thats looking good Alex, I keep getting tempted to try a figure.

J

John Huggins

Looks good to me Alex, ur paint job is better then mine, camo i find easy it's the single colures i hate.

Well done & keep up the good work, above all HAVE FUN.

John

P

phalinmegob

looks better than anything i can acheive alex, i try to keep away from figures and at 1/35 they have one coloured faces.