1/16 German Infantryman

D

dubster72

You shouldn't be so harsh on yourself Alex. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your painting. I & many others would be glad to turn out something as good as that. Keep up the good work!

Patrick

A

AJay

James, John , Andrew and Patrick, thanks for the encouraging comments. Did a little work on my figure during the week - I'll get some photos taken soon :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Alex from what i've seen of your figure theres nothing wrong with it. Like Ron say's dont try to copy exactly or you will just beat yourself up, i'm sure when you paint your plane pictures they are not" exact" copy's were both nearly there now chin up i've had fun doing mine and happy modeling

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oi AJay stop beating yourself up. That Jacket is pretty good. Two types of clothing that are hardest to do. Whole Black or White ones or Camouflage ones. I am no expert So I will leave the big how too's to them. Trust me on this though, you are winning.

Ian M

S

sprayman

The good thing about modelling is, you learn from the present kit, which will improve your skills on the next kit.....so I dont see anything wrong with your work mate, but whatever you see wrong with it, just make a mental note and just work on it on the next kit.....but you should be well happy how this figure is going..I know I would.

A

AJay

View attachment 41574

View attachment 41575

View attachment 41576

View attachment 41577

Here's where I am at the moment. I spent literally hours on the face, believe it or not! I wanted to go for a cold-looking face with a red nose, so here's my take on this.

Forget the uniform for now, this needs a lot of work, and the gas mask strap is the wrong colour. The MP44 magazine pouches seemed to come in a number of tan, thorn, brown, and even green colours - need a lot more work on these, too.

More soon :smiling3:

View attachment 45186

View attachment 45187

View attachment 45188

View attachment 45189

WIP 1.jpg

wip 2.jpg

WIP 3.jpg

WIP 4.jpg

D

dubster72

I think you've captured that cold, raw look very well Alex. You can easily picture him in a snowfield being blasted by a freezing gale!

Cheers

Patrick

M

mobear

now i`m intrigued how the hell did u get the brush work so nice?i love this little german

mobear

A

AJay

Thanks, Patrick! I'm glad you can see what I've tried to achieve. I'm really struggling with this one but thanks to all the nice comments am sticking with it :smiling3:

Thank you, mobear. I used Vallejo acrylics.

I first gave the face a base coat of fresh tone, then painted in the whites if the eyes.

Then I used burnt umber and painted in the dark areas such as below the eyes, below the bottom lip, above the eyes where there's a lot of shadow, etc. (this gives me a guideline of areas where I'll darken my flesh mix when I add another coat).

After this I used flesh, white, burnt umber, black and red in various mixes. Using flesh as my base colour I mixed up several variations using the other colours. I work with the paint wet to blend the colours, like you would with oils. It dries fast, especially under a spot lamp, so I had to work fast. I also had to re-do it many, many times before I was vaguely happy with it.

The eyes were very hard. Even with my smallest brush and magnified glasses, I struggled. However, I found the tip to not having a 'startled-rabbit-in-the headlights-look', was to simply paint a bottom eye lid so the eyes aren't bulbous-looking.

I studied a lot of figure artists for tips. I still don't know how some of them paint their 1/35 figures so well. I've seen them with very realistically painted eyes, complete with reflections in the pupils!!! :smiling3:

Last edited:
M

mobear

thanks for the tip Alex,i`m kinda buildin up the confidence to paint figures the only one i`ve done is the pilot for my Dio and its mediocre at best

mobear

A

AJay

Change of direction.......

I had a good hard think and decided that my soldier has turned his white over-trousers inside out and is sporting the Autumn camo side.

Now, I think this means he'll have been in an SS outfit, which is something I wanted to avoid, but, oh well...(must remember to change his belt buckle to the SS one).

I haven't finished the Autumn camo as yet and still have the other colours to add. His over-jacket will remain white camo, as will his helmet.

View attachment 42092

View attachment 42093

View attachment 42094

View attachment 42095

View attachment 42096

When completed I'll get rid of the plastic shine look will some matt varnish over the uniform.

More soon...........

View attachment 45473

View attachment 45474

View attachment 45475

View attachment 45476

View attachment 45477

wippy 1.jpg

wippy 2.jpg

Wippy 3.jpg

Wippy 4.jpg

Wippy 5.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice Ajay, the figure is coming along really nicely - good camo pattern and facial detail.

Looking forward to the finished piece.

All the best.

Paul

A

AJay

Thanks, Paul! Appreciate the comments. It's taking me a long time I know, but hopefully I'll be rewarded with a nice model for my cabinet. Fingers crossed :smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
AJay he looks the biz! The face (which i dread) looks impressive.

I love the camo as well spot on.

What brand paint do you use? The colours are great.

A

AJay

Thanks very much, aaron!

I use Vallejo acrylics. I mix my own colours using colour references of real items of clothing and equipment; you can find plenty on google images, usually from militaria dealers or re-enactors (who are usually pretty good with authenticity).

The only specific colour I used on this so far was Vallejo's skin tone, which was my base colour. Hope this helps.

First Name
Aaron
Im impressed with the colours you mixed, Thumbs up.

I plan on getting some vallejo primer in the 200 ml bottles (shake n shoot), When i can find some decent postage costs.

Cheers buddy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Alex!

That is looking real good. The trousers are looking great with the camouflage.

Ian M

D

dubster72

\ said:
Im impressed with the colours you mixed, Thumbs up.I plan on getting some vallejo primer in the 200 ml bottles (shake n shoot), When i can find some decent postage costs.

Cheers buddy.
Scale models shop?

D

dubster72

That actually looks even better than before Alex, the camo trousers break up the white & you've painted a difficult pattern really well.

Cheers Patrick