1/16 IWW German Stormtrooper

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

220px-France1918.jpg11206014_1405242789799651_6785696384975845908_n.jpg

(For discussion only).

My next figure will be a German Stormtrooper of WWI. I came across a whole load of spares given to me by Richard Pearce and decided to repeat a project I'd done before, namely converting Miniart's Ernst Udet figure:

100_4380.JPG100_4381.JPG

The kit only needs a little bit of work - removing the breast pockets and collar tabs, adding shoulder boards - to make the correct uniform, and I really like the casual pose. He will either be armed with a Bergmann MP18 sub-machine gun or a Maxim, as in the photos above.

These are the spares:

100_4382.JPG

A lot there to play with, so I'll have fun deciding on how to equip him.

My main reference will be from the Dorling & Kindersley 'Soldier' book, given to me by Peter Low:

100_4383.JPG

As you can see, it's all there, and there are several other pages of extra photos.

So off we go, with thanks to Richard and Pete for providing the impetus.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I seem to remember the MiniArt figure. You certainly have plenty of equipment to choose from.
Jim

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Front seat for this one Mr.D.First world war is a real interesting period and im sure eventually i will do some.
Drinks and nibbles are ready.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome along chaps - thanks for looking in.

Everything is built, cleaned up and ready for painting:

100_4384.JPG

The fit of parts on the figure was good, but there was an awful lot of cleaning up to do - I always get the feeling with Miniart figures that there will be nothing left of them after sanding. I also removed the breast pockets and collar tabs and gave him some shoulder straps. The mould seams ran through the bootlaces (don't they always?) so I sanded them off and replaced them with metal foil.

I've prepared more equipment than is going to fit, so it will be a case of what is most suitable. He will be equipped with the MP18, so I'm definitely giving him an ammo pouch (this one is a Dragon WW2 flare pouch, but it's very similar to those used), bread bag, water bottle, bayonet and cape roll. The rest will either be squeezed on or used on the base. The head is by Dragon and the helmet is by Jon Smith.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
My chair is pulled up to see what equipment you finally use.

Peter

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovin these jigsaw projects of yours Peter. I hope it all goes together well for you sir

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Now I'm back from my granddad duties in Sussex nice to see this one on the go Peter, I shall join the growing crowd.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome along people.

Mick - My granddad duties also take place in Sussex!

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Welcome along people.

Mick - My granddad duties also take place in Sussex!
Yep very close to mine in Eastbourne. Grandkid number 3 arrived safely last week but she's over in Chichester. Had a few pints of Ouse Water from that place in Lewes while down there.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
On the bus from Elland Rd park & ride into Leeds.
My return to work has totally confused my blogging and appreciation of your builds!
Looks like a solid start for another WWI figure.
Your 2 commission's were super, though I think I missed commenting on the 2nd one?
Thankfully the weekend looms with better weather?
Have a good day with the paints
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Mick - I was in Lewes at the weekend. I'd quite like to live there, but you have to be at least millionaire to afford even a two up, two down.

Steve - I hope the return to work is becoming easier. Glad you liked the busts. It's been very cold here for most of the week, but apparently it's going to warm up for the weekend - a seaside visit perhaps?

Okey dokey, here's where we're at with the stormtrooper:

100_4386.JPG100_4387.JPG100_4388.JPG

Another great Dragon head to work on. This has been lurking in my spares box with an abandoned paint job for a couple of years, but this time I managed to sort out the half-closed eyes.

As the head was fairly quick to do, I decided to move on to the top half of the tunic. The sculpt of the tunic front was pretty flat, and although I'd sanded in some creases, most of what you see here is painted on, as I wanted to give the clothes a slightly dishevelled look. The process proved quite tricky and was one of those things that could have gone on and on, but I think I'll leave it now.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looks great already Peter, big fan of your work
Cheers,
Steven

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steven - May thanks.

I did end up fiddling with the tunic and reduced the number of creases somewhat:

100_4390.JPG100_4391.JPG100_4392.JPG

Much happier with it now.

Reactions: PJR

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter
Reducing the number of creases was a good move, looking good so far.
Peter

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done with your review of the creases, completely the right way to go, it does look well distressed too.

A good decision on your part Peter.

Work is becoming a little more acceptable, though retirement would be better LOL

Though Anna has a different view!

Looks like a good weekend for the trousers and all the equipment.

Its bright and crisp already

Have a good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Many thanks. He's getting there.

Steve - One of those situations where I was pleased that I'd breathed some life into the tunic, then realised I'd overdone it. Every time I came back to it I saw that it needed adjusting, but looking at it this morning I feel that it's OK.

I spent an hour or so converting the Dragon ammo pouch into a suitable form for an MP18 version. I realised that he would at least carry that and that it was important to get it right.

My sinusitis has turned into an infection, which always lays me pretty low, so I think this one will slow up for a while. Makes sleep pretty difficult and the mouse behind the bookshelves doesn't help (poison seems ineffective so far - little b****r).

• Wow
D

Deleted member 6559

The next stage:

100_4400.JPG100_4401.JPG100_4403.JPG

Just had time today for the tunic skirts and trousers before a long seaside walk. I've just painted on the leather knee patches - the photos show that they weren't that thick and followed the creases of the cloth underneath.

The cold light of day (literally) revealed that the right hand side of the tunic front had got a bit encrusted, so I also stripped that down and re-did it.