1/16 IWW German Stormtrooper

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Richard. I kept coming across the various bits and pieces at regular intervals and now seemed the right time to do something with them. I have a few bits and bobs left to kit out the second figure with - officer stuff: binoculars, map case, pistol etc.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Great looking build with all the accessories.
And a 2nd one too, it should be a fun week for you.

A good salt air blast is just what the Dr ordered for sinus troubles.
Shame I am as far from either coast as I could get!

Looking forward to Herman's head transplant LOL

Heatwave on the way?
Still bracing up North.

Have a good day with the paints
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Thank you. Nice to see what you look like too!

Steve - Glad you like him. I'm looking forward to working on the second figure, which should arrive today.

I'm amazed how much the sea air helped my sinuses - time to move to the coast? We were looking at beach huts while we were there and the cheapest was £15,000, far too much for a dilapidated shed on a bit of shingle. Rental was an extortionate £50-£75 a day.

Wet, cold and misty here.

D

Deleted member 6559

100_4421.JPG100_4422.JPG

The next figure has arrived. This one will need less reworking, but quite a few additions. The head does look slightly like Goering, but the mould line runs through the middle of the face and the detail is poor.

The extras:

100_4419.JPG

A mixture of Kirin, Verlinden, Alpine and Jon Smith parts. I've made him a belt from metal foil and also a gas mask bag, which I carved from a section of spare arm.

So, off we go.....

Reactions: PJR
D

Deleted member 6559

Built and ready for painting:

100_4423 (2).JPG

A simple kit, but being Miniart it took a lot of clean up. The fit was pretty good, but there were prominent mould lines and quite a lot of flash. As with the first figure the mould lines went through the bootlaces, so I removed what was there and replaced it with foil. I've also made him a set of shoulder boards from foil and sections of sprue.

I've used this Verlinden head quite a lot before, but here it seems to particularly suit the belligerent stance. I've tried to add to his fierceness by giving him a putty moustache.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
The 'tash is a nice touch. The 2 figures will look good together.

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
As always a great result for figgie no 1.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Thanks. He had to have a pointy moustache really didn't he?

Jim - Thank you. Must say, you also look very different from the way I imagined you (though don't know what I imagined really).

Ralph - I am!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Love the moustache, doesn't he look fierce!

Should be fun to paint that head and accentuate the anger.

Who will be the victim of such a stare?

Lots of kit to work with too.

Looks like another cold frosty one, we seem to be sat under a tongue of cold air from the arctic at the moment.

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Funny weather at the moment. OKish here but set to get cold and damp at the weekend again.

I really like this head and it always causes comment when I use it. I think the scenario will be Kaierschlacht 1918, the Sprig Offensive, and the look is directed at the British lines. He's straight out of Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel - an officer class fanatic who doesn't know when he's beaten.

D

Deleted member 6559

Painting has started and the head's done

:100_4424.JPG100_4425.JPG

As you can see, I didn't use the helmet I'd prepared as I found it needed too much cleaning up for me to be bothered with it. I went instead for the cap provided with the kit, which fortunately fitted well. The visor hides his fierce brows to some extent, but I think that's an advantage in the end. The insignia are Tamiya decals.

First Name
Wouter
Ah, chap number two got it's head already ^^. Love the guys expression, one scary chap to confront no doubt!

D

Deleted member 6559

Wouter - He reminds me of an old schoolteacher.....

Ralph - Many thanks.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Well done with the head & hat
The pose is very intimidating too!
Looks like a day for drapery?
Could be a little flat in places?
Cold here still 0 C!
Hopefully better soon?
Another good seafront walk to clear the head, if it's still damp and miserable.
Have a good day at with the paint
Regards
Steve H

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
You have got a lot of character into that face and it matches his stance perfectly.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve. Hi. You're right about the drapery. I found it really hard to make anything of the tunic, as the folds and creases were pretty flat. I therefore decided to crack on and see if painting the rest of the clothing would help lift it, which I think it has slightly. I intend to add cross straps, binoculars etc, so hopefully they should help give it a boost.

Nippy here too and the sinus are murdering me. Won't be able to get to the coast unfortunately, but my eldest and granddaughter are home for a while from Sunday, so that will take my mind off it.

Jim - It's one of my favourite Verlinden heads and hard not to give character to.

Anyway, here is what he looks like now:

100_4426.JPG100_4429.JPG

I struggled so much to breath life into the tunic that I almost gave up on it. However, with the gear added it should be OK.