1/16 Japanese Tank Commander

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_4740.JPG100_4741.JPG100_4742.JPG

I first made this kit when supplies finally reached the UK in January, but was pretty disappointed with the result of my efforts to build and paint it. I therefore thought I'd have another bash and see if I could come up with something better.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Ralph - Should be fun.

The build was pretty straightforward:

100_4743.JPG

The parts all fitted well and the mould lines were slight and easy to remove. My only gripe would be that the sprue attachment points were a bit on the heavy side.

As that didn't take too long, I decided to get on with the head:

100_4744.JPG100_4745.JPG100_4746.JPG

This nearly flew across the room on several occasions. I began to remember from the first time I painted this figure, that though the details looks quite crisp, the reality is that it's very hard to get a clean finish. Matters aren't helped by the fact that the head is a three-part construction (four including the goggles) and the lines where the parts meet are not as clean as they could be. Similarly, the goggles are not so well moulded, which meant that again the finish was compromised.

Anyway, it will do.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter
Nothing wrong at taking another run at it sitting quietly and watching

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Nice to see another plastic chappie.Such a shame his melon caused problems when it came to painting.The pose looks nice and relaxed.Be good if Takom did some more figures.I looked at my stash last night and realised i have 20 + boxes of Dragon 1.35th figures!!.
Onwards and upwards mate.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - I've made most of these 1/16 plastic figure kits at least twice - good practice.

Richard - It's quite a nice figure, though the detail is a bit soft. Sounds like you're sitting on a goldmine - I'd get 'em on eBay if I were you. I'd offer to buy them but my eyes just aren't up to 1/35 any more.

Scottie - Thanks. I spent too long working on it and got a bit despondent. Happier with it now.

Got to decide on the uniform colour now. Officially it was 'khaki', but given a wide range of manufactures, available dyes, weathering etc it could look anything from a dark olive to an almost white tan. Also, there tended to be dark winter uniforms and lighter coloured summer ones. I'll probably go with a light khaki.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: Can't remember seeing this before Peter, did you post it then ?
Face looks good .

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in chaps.

John - Seems I was mistaken. I actually first built a version of this in January 2018, not this year. I can't believe it was that long ago. I would have run a thread on the old site. Senior moment.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Good start, the head looks suitably oriental, I do remember your first attempt, but was it really so long ago!

All down hill after 40 LOL

I guess Vallejo Japanese uniform or the Panzer Aces Japanese tank crew might be alternative choices, though its all very fluid as you described.

If you are hoping for a beach escape with the family, it seems Saturday is the day to pick, with silly high temperatures just for 24 hours.

I'll assign AB work to Sunday, as I am sure I will be given gardening duty on Saturday!

Have fun with your colour selection and the uniform painting, not quite as creased and exciting as the Screaming Eagle, but should be fun.

Have a good day

regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice start Peter. Sorry to hear the head was such a challenge. Look forward to seeing the uniform

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H - Don't time fly? Vallejo also do a Japanese Uniform, but it's a bright yellow ochre and like no uniform colour I've seen. The uniform will need a lot of contrast to make something of it.

We are planning a beach trip but are all arguing about where - also has to be dog friendly, which severely limits us (the dog loves a good swim). And, yes, this weather does put a bit of gardening pressure on.

Ian - Many thanks for looking in.

Steve J - The head just took too long and I got a bit frustrated with it. Also, I find the bright light at this time of year too revealing!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve H - Don't time fly? Vallejo also do a Japanese Uniform, but it's a bright yellow ochre and like no uniform colour I've seen. The uniform will need a lot of contrast to make something of it.

We are planning a beach trip but are all arguing about where - also has to be dog friendly, which severely limits us (the dog loves a good swim). And, yes, this weather does put a bit of gardening pressure on.

Ian - Many thanks for looking in.

Steve J - The head just took too long and I got a bit frustrated with it. Also, I find the bright light at this time of year too revealing!

Sure you will find a way to fix the uniform :smiling:

As for the dog - we went down to Bournemouth in late April, dogs allowed on the beach, now last time i checked dogs don't turn into savage killers on the 1st May, so whats with the stupid law they cant go on the Beach for the summer, same people, same dogs . :angry:
Where you heading to ?

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - The answer to the uniform question is Vallejo Khaki.

As for the dogs, well, as always there are a few amongst the many owners who do abuse the rules and make things unpleasant for everyone else. I don't blame people with kids wanting a dog-free beach, but at the same time I wish there were more where they were allowed - we're incredibly restricted here. May try Hampton Beach, Herne Bay, though I'd prefer Reculver (Roman fort, fossils, Saxon ruins, bouncing bomb, what's not to like?).

Granddaughter allowing, this as what I've managed today:

100_4749.JPG100_4750.JPG

There was more sculpting to the uniform than was at first apparent and it was nice to have a different take on folds and creases from the Dragon/Tamiya norm.