1/16 Japanese Tank Commander

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4539

Lovely picture Peter :smiling3:.
I never had a Grandad they both died before I was born,WW2 I believe.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great pic Peter nothing wrong with that.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks chaps. She's a bit keen on her granddad at the moment, probably because I speak her language - we're both at that dribbling stage of life.

She's allowed me to get to this stage with the figure:

100_4757.JPG100_4759.JPG100_4760.JPG

Puttees and boots painted, then document case and holster added. I've also given him a pair of binoculars from the spares box, figuring that no tank commander would be without, and made a pistol lanyard from glue soaked cotton.

Just the hands, sword and base to do now.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, nothing like a recess with something cuddly that dribble like you do. :smiling5: Granddad's helper is lucky to have you.

With that intervention the interruption has given me time to comment. :smiling2: The figure folds and puttees are painted well my friend. It's looking real good.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Cheers.

Richard - Only about a day behind, but well worth it for the cuddles. Glad you like how the figure is going.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great photo of you two Peter, a little poppet, enjoy this time of her life. :blow-kiss:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - she's sitting on my knee as I type this (one handed!).

The tank commander is finished:

100_4769.JPG100_4762.JPG100_4764.JPG100_4763.JPG

As there was only the hands and sword to do, I decided to get on and finish it in the cool of the evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
WOW!!. That is truly wonderful. You and granddaughter must be very pleased with the way its turned out. Again the head is particularly well done. Stunning work as always

Any chance you can do a French Napoleonic figure next to show me how it should be done? :smiling: :thumb2::cool:

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Steve.

I blamed the kit when I did a poor job on this a year and a half ago, but it's actually pretty good and my poor workmanship was entirely to blame. I'm much happier with this version (tried harder).

No Napoleonics in the pipeline I'm afraid. I've got some 54mm kits given to me by Ralph, but I can't trust my eyes in order to tackle them at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have just had a look at the original model you did. Your latest offering has far more detail in the uniform which adds more realism. This is something I need to look at on my 28mm - more creases and shadow. The gloves are a lot softer which I like. Also this version has his eyes looking at an angle. The original ones are looking straight forward which makes his look somehow more harsher. I prefer this softer look. Its great to compare to see how much improvement you have made in your work.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

As I've said my aim with these recent 1/16 plastic figures is to try and improve my technique, really just by trying harder. I've also tried to add more contrast and to depict zenithal lighting.

Interesting what you say about the eyes, as I'm always saying that a sideways glance adds character. We're one of the only animals that can do this - it enables us to keep looking straight ahead - following our prey and keeping a lookout for predators? Most people move their eyes more than their heads.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

looks like the South had the lions share of the weather over the weekend, and a real live indoor rainbow too in Canterbury.

Definitely a photo with all the elements for the album.

Great figure, well done with your improvements, do you still gave the original for comparison or is it in the attic?

Quiet weekend here, the lawn got mowed and the leaking sink got fixed, the desk just collected more dust, sadly.

I shall have to try the eyes right when there isn't a pronounces pupil in the centre

It does seem to simplify the eyes issue and avoid and uneven pair when trying to centre them.

Any ideas for your next project between Granddad duties?

Have a good day

Regards

Steve h

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Thanks.

Steve - She kept getting the Deep Red Vallejo out - obviously thought the figure needed a bit more colour. The hot weather did continue into Sunday and we didn't see any real rainbows. Sorry to hear that you didn't get any modelling done, but sounds like you made yourself useful.

The original tank commander got 'recycled' as I was fed up with looking at him. I think I have photos though. The eyes right/left is usually a response to the fact that they are often unevenly sculpted. It also avoids that 1000 yard vacant stare you so often see. Always a pain when the pupil is sculpted.

Next, probably some Tamiya Germans in a vignette.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Thought id drop by.Ah nice to see Grandad Peters had a mini helper.Maybe little un might become an artist later on.The figure has turned out well nice.Lovely the tones and pose is very good my friend.
Great stuff team D.
Richard.