1/16 Jewish Partisan Leader WW2

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

1943partisans.jpg4f728076-da8b-4921-a9c2-26834c0b5d06.jpg.pagespeed.ce.jNOI-oC_Xq.jpgdownload (16).jpg

I've always been interested in the subject of partisans in Russia in WW2, and having some time ago read Primo Levi's novel 'If Not Now, When?' about Jewish partisans in that theatre, I thought I'd try and make one.

100_4969.JPG

My basis for the figure will be Dragon's Michael Wittmann figure, so there's some poetic justice there:

100_4964.JPG100_4965.JPG100_4966.JPG

I forgot to photograph the etch parts supplied for the headphones. A nice kit in itself, and one I have made before.

This is what I've come up with:

100_4968.JPG100_4967.JPG

I used the upper part of the body, as leather jackets seemed fairly common during the 1940s. I've taken out Wittman's tunic collar and made a shirt collar from lead foil. As high boots also seemed popular in Eastern Europe, I've given him a pair from another Dragon figure - I've primed it in black as I couldn't get the original paint off the legs.

The head is by Reedees, with a Kirin fur cap. The equipment is a mixture of German and Russian (Velinden and Dragon).

No promises that this will work out....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That is a most interesting conversion I'm sure you'll make it work.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
A very interesting idea and you have the skills to pull it off.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Novel idea Peter, looking forward to see you change this one.

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome along people.

It's surprising how paramilitary the partisans look in the photos - a lot of ad-hoc uniforms, which is the look I'm trying for. Head shenanigans today.....

D

Deleted member 6559

I've now painted the head and part of the jacket:

Attachments

• 100_4970.JPG
    100_4970.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps.

The jacket is highlighted with Vallejo Red Leather, which my camera has made look redder than it actually is. I might tone it down with a coat of antiquing wax when it's finished. In the meantime I've adjusted the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great start with the new figure

Looking very partisan and a poignant re use of the original figure

Will this be a stand alone or possibly a trawl of the stash to build more civilian, partisan figures?

Gives you a free hand with the palette, possibly some highlighting changes?

Have a good day with the paints
Regards

Steve H

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Super work..great idea too.... it reminded me immediately the Bielski Brothers
41d7d855a0b5f16b03ed5d60e52c8f54--warsaw-ghetto-world-war.jpg687e5dba5d18d425c45c.jpeg

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Glad you like the idea for our man. It does give a free range to the palette, which makes a nice change - chance to experiment with technique too, as you say. I don't really have anything else that will suit at the moment. I've noticed that in a lot of the photos they're wearing mackinaw style coats, so perhaps US figure may provide a source.

Greg - Yes, as portrayed by Daniel Craig, Jamie Bell and Liev Shreiber in the film 'Defiance.'

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Don't forget that classic Force 10 from Navarone LOL You certainly have got the partisan look down to a T. Wonderful work

D

Deleted member 6559

Oooh, that was a bad one Steve, terrible film. Glad you like the look of our man.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
Just having coffee and toast so having a look around .
Splendid idea, and what a twist using that head.
The bravery of these people infighting back is amazing , certainly no quarter given if they were caught.
Will join the rest .

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John

Hope the coffee and toast went down well.

I'm glad the head worked out. I had to cut the top off to accommodate the hat, fill the gap, then build up the hair with filler, which can get messy. Fortunately, Delux putty can be applied with a brush, so you get some control.

Caught between a rock and a hard place, the Jews of Eastern Europe - fight or die. Fortunately some were able to escape into the vast forests and marshlands to avoid the post-Barbarossa round-ups, and there their numbers were added to by the very few concentration camp escapees. The Jews of the more metropolitan areas of Western Europe had nowhere to run to. At least some of the ghetto Jews had a chance to fight back, as in Warsaw, but ultimately they were either killed or captured.

Reactions: JR