1/16 Panzer Lehr

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

My next figure will be based on this old Tamiya favourite:

100_2877.JPG100_2878.JPG

I've made this figure a number of times, but I like returning to it in order to see if I've improved since the last time. It's a simple kit and well up to the usual Tamiya standard.

I've decided to try an depict an NCO of the Panzer Lehr, so the first step was to remove the tanker's insignia and add a scratched 'y' harness:

100_2879.JPG100_2880.JPG100_2882.JPG

Way out of my comfort zone with this sort of thing, but I fancied giving it a go. I used paper from a manila envelope, aluminium foil from a flan case, fuse wire and lead foil. I also removed the moulded kit shoulder boards and made replacements from plastic sheet. All of the buttons were made from sections of sprue. I'll have to see how it looks when painted - I can always cover it with equipment if it's too dodgy.

The kit head is pretty awful, so I've replaced it with a Trumpeter spare wearing a Dragon helmet. I've also added a Dragon MP40 and water bottle and a Tamiya ammo pouch from the spares box.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peters on one of my faves now!.Baggsie i front row seat for this one.Great start mate.Will reserve a few seats for the guests.Come on wing.commander Race wheres the cocoa!!!.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Ian - Hopefully it will paint up OK.

Richard - I know you love a good Panzy! I always think of you when the subject comes up - hopefully this one will make it to the finish line.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice work on the scratch braces, looks like a interesting alternative for the figure too.

Looks like a good day for painting.

Have a good day with the other head

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

I've since tidied up the harness at the back to get parts of it more in scale.

Here's the head:

100_2883.JPG100_2884.JPG100_2885.JPG

I've pushed the helmet up on the head to try and emphasise the tired and anxious look on the face. I've come to really like these Trumpeter heads as they're a bit different from the usual (despite the eyes not matching!).

Just realised that I've forgotten the rain dashes on the camo - that can wait.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good Peter.See what you mean with the eyes being a bit wonky.Shame coz it has a lot of character.
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dam it, :smiling: your running a production line Peter.
I'm sure you'll make another superb job.
Does Richard take sugar in his coco ? .
John.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Wonderful rendition of a weary soldier, and any wonkiness is just part of the "human" condition

We are none of us perfect, 5 years of war will leave its marks and you have captured the look perfectly.

Some of the 1:35 heads I did, in the dim and distant past, Legend particularly, had some real deformities, but both added to the realism and the challenge of painting heads.

On to the main body today?

I shall keep a close eye on how you find the drapery, as I have this figure on my desk, though it hasn't progressed past primer, with the head being stripped 3-4 times already.

Have a good day

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I stopped worrying about wonky eyes ages ago - I'd never get a head finished otherwise.

John - Thanks. I think Richard takes sugar with everything!

Steve - Exactly - not many of us are perfect. Would like to see the figure you're working on.

Ian - Many thanks for looking in.

Here he is:

100_2891.JPG100_2892.JPG

I started today by painting the insignia - a fiddly job on German uniforms. I've made him a leutenant and given him the pea green grenadier's waffenfarbe. The uniform was based on Vallejo German Field Grey, darkened with Black Brown and lightened with Off White as usual.

I'm quite pleased with the way the 'y' strap has turned out. I was worried that it was a bit bulky before painting, but I think that was the effect of the different materials contrasting with each other.

The final job was to add rain dashes to the helmet cover, then attach the head.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Looking good and the alterations have come out a treat. You are right about the harness - it really looks the part.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Nice I certainly like that head. The uniform , well we've said it countless times.... perfection.
John.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Blimey o'riley thats a corker Mr.D.With the uniform jacket done it really shows the head is suited to Mr.Lehr.Maybe i will sculpt a lehr bust sometime.
I dont take sugar my friends just couple sweeteners in me beverages chaud.I do have some nescafe cappucinos which i cant do with out.
Afraid im in naughty box at mo!!.Im 5 foot 9 and weigh now 21 stone.Have big probs with food.Determined to lose loads so i can stay around longer.
Onwards and upwards my friends.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Thanks.

John - Thanks also.

Richard - I'd love to see you do a Lehr bust. Only joking about the sugar, and I know what it's like re food. I was taken off my diabetes medication six months ago and my weight has shot up - hungry all the time.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great progress and the braces look spot on.

Looks like its been a weighty summer, I've gained 7kg this year with my duff knee!

I have a week off next week, so there might be a little thread with the figure, though I really want to get the SturmTiger finished with Rinaldi OPR.

Your Panzer Lehr is a timely inspiration to get the figure finished, though it is a little intimidating too.

Finish today?

Have a good one

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve (afternoon now).

Please do start a thread on your figure. It's not an area that gets alot of attention on the site, so the more the merrier.

Mine won't be finished today - I'm having to eke out the stash as times is hard (pregnant daughter, her new flat, baby stuff etc etc).