1/16 U Boat Officer

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

DML1620-2.jpg

I recently ordered Dragon's Joachim Peiper figure, and not being that keen on depicting convicted war criminals, wondered what else I could do with the kit. I've always been curious about the outfit he's wearing, and realised that they are actually based on the standard pattern Kriegsmarine leathers:

mtupak.jpgU boat crews..PNGcrew-jacket-grey.jpg

I was also recently given Alpine's wonderful U-Boat commander's head by Ralph (thank you that man) and have been keen to use it somehow:

download (18).jpg

I'm aware that the officer's leather jacket was of a more elaborate pattern, but perhaps our man's was ripped, or he preferred the lighter version? The kit figure is also wearing a belt, but if I give him a pistol he could be kitted up for a boarding party.

So a couple of anomalies, but explainable, and anyway, who cares?!!!!!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
It will be a great watch this one Peter. Looking forward to seeing how you juggle things around. Good luck

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Another great idea for a new figure project.Im sure with the Alpine head and binos etc he will look great as a u.boat commander.
Watching in again.
Richard.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Thanks. Should be fairly simple to do (famous last words).

Richard - Welcome along. Dug out some naval binoculars and will probably give him a flare gun and holster.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Sounds like a plan. I am sure you will pull it off perfectly. Do you remember Carl Startin did a U-Boat commander and displayed it on a section of wooden deck?
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - I'm trying to forget Carl's astonishing U-Boat captain - it was the Alpine kit and painted lie a dream. May try a bit of decking though.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter and the other onlookers :sleeping2::smiling:.
I shall sit in the fridge and watch from there .

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - Sorry it's a bit crowded by the 'fridge.

So, in 38 degrees of heat, I got this one built:

100_5043.JPG

A well sculpted kit, though the joins do tend to go through some awkward places, like the shoulder boards, which I had to sand down and re-detail:

100_5044.JPG

The head fitted well and is not too small, as are a lot of Alpine offerings. He will be holding the flare pistol in his right hand and a pair of gloves in his left. The naval binoculars are by Verlinden.

Not sure when I'll be able to start painting. A mere 28 degrees predicted for tomorrow, which will feel cool by comparison, but still too hot for the Vallejo.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John - Sorry it's a bit crowded by the 'fridge.

So, in 38 degrees of heat, I got this one built:

View attachment 351366

A well sculpted kit, though the joins do tend to go through some awkward places, like the shoulder boards, which I had to sand down and re-detail:

View attachment 351367

The head fitted well and is not too small, as are a lot of Alpine offerings. He will be holding the flare pistol in his right hand and a pair of gloves in his left. The naval binoculars are by Verlinden.

Not sure when I'll be able to start painting. A mere 28 degrees predicted for tomorrow, which will feel cool by comparison, but still too hot for the Vallejo.
oh well I'll push Steve up a bit .
I did manage a little spray work, but had to use a lots more retarder, this in itself brings problems. Said to becoming cooler with rain on Saturday.

First Name
Wouter
That's a jacket which is still on my wishlist, being an original or a replica. My wife got me a high quality replica of the Alpine miniatures figure years ago. Great stuff.
The U-boot leathers Piper wears in that shot were the kind the engine maintenance personal would use. The Leibstandarte got hold of some stock during the days prior to D-Day, Michael Wittman is wearing them in some famous photos as the likes of Karl Brommann and other tank crew of the Leibstandarte.

About the convicted war criminal stuff. Well Peiper wasn't a pussy and he was working for an awful regime but I find that there's a lot of bollocks being said about that guy. Even objective people mentioned that his trial was very dubious to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him but I always try to see at the things as they were. Same tactics (killing POWs) were used by the allies - not only speaking about the Russians solely here. It's well known that American and British commanders gave orders not to take any prisoners during D-Day and the following weeks.

Ok, having that said, I'm really looking forward to see your magic here. I find it very hard to realisticly paint a leather jacket so looking forward to learn some things here ^^

Cheers

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

John - You may be pushed aside by the dog anyway. We're having to keep him doused with water - out on to the patio and a full bottle over his back.

Wouter - Glad the leathers are more or less OK. I'm going to try and paint them in U-Boat grey.

I suppose being branded a war criminal depends whether you're on the winning side or not, though Peiper was convicted after a trial. His men did commit the Malmedy massacre and were responsible for killing civilians in Stavelot and elsewhere.

Anyway people, please, please, please lets not get into a discussion on this topic. I'm sorry I mentioned it.

First Name
Wouter
Looking forward to see them paint in grey, you don't see that so often ^^

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Its too hot up here already 22 C at 5 am WT*?

A leather U boat jacket, very Das Boot and it will be good to see your rendition, when the weather cools down enough to get the paints out?

The BBC isn't that sure either way, when it will all cool down!

Have a cool day whatever you manage to get up to?

Perhaps lining up the next few projects and trawling the spares for more Frankenstein figures

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Welcome aboard Das Boot.

Wouter - I think I have the right shade of grey in the box...

Steve - 29 predicted here today, which will seem cool compared to yesterday, but probably still too hot for paint. May well do a bit more building instead.

D

Deleted member 6559

A few head shenanigans today. After two attempts at painting the Alpine head, I gave up and resorted to the kit head:

100_5047.JPG100_5048.JPG

I adapted the cap by removing the totenkopf symbol and replacing it with the naval wreath, which was made from spare resin and sprue. I also made the chin strap from lead foil and sprue sections.

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie and Ralph - Many thanks for looking in.

Blissfully cool today and fine painting weather, if a little dull (you can't win):

100_5058.JPG100_5059.JPG100_5060.JPG100_5055.JPG

I used Vallejo Basalt Grey as the base for the jacket. It's very shiny at the moment, but hopefully it should dull down some more as it dries. I don't mind a satiny finish as it is meant to be leather, but it may need a little adjusting with varnishes.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Looks really nice Peter, I'll pop back in an hour when it's finished :smiling2:

• Haha