1/16 U Boat Officer

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi peter
Much cooler here too. Face is great - very nautical looking. Well done with the cap badge. Jacket is rather nice with it's sheen.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Scottie and Ralph - Many thanks for looking in.

Blissfully cool today and fine painting weather, if a little dull (you can't win):

View attachment 351564View attachment 351565View attachment 351566View attachment 351567

I used Vallejo Basalt Grey as the base for the jacket. It's very shiny at the moment, but hopefully it should dull down some more as it dries. I don't mind a satiny finish as it is meant to be leather, but it may need a little adjusting with varnishes.
Looking great Peter ,the face is amazing. This figure looks like the infamous u boat captain Hans Missink to me :tongue-out3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Mick - At least a couple of more days with this one.

Steven - Thanks for looking in.

Jim - Much cooler, to the extent that I actually felt a bit cold while watching Killing Eve last night. The shine didn't deaden down enough in the end, so I had to resort to varnish. Results later.

Tony - Yes, poor old Hans had a considerable disadvantage during the early stages of the war.

D

Deleted member 6559

The uniform is done:

100_5062.JPG100_5063.JPG100_5064.JPG100_5065.JPG

As mentioned above, I felt that the finish was still too shiny, so I gave the uniform a coat of matt varnish. That did deaden the tones somewhat, so I had to go around adding brighter highlights before giving it another coat.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
He looks very nice Peter, love that unshaven submariner look he has :thumb2: .
Neat shadow work too on the uniform.

Reactions: JR

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Popped in before i go on belated honeymoon tommorow to Channel islands(Jersey).Love the head Peter,The cap is paricularly nice mate.Like the leathers colours as well.Its a lot cooler here and probably our hot bit of summer over i reckon.
Back to sculpting when i get back.
All the best mate.
Richard

• Love
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Cheers.

Fernando - The first head had a beard textured onto the face, which I found very hard to paint. I prefer to be able to do it myself.

Richard - Yep, looks like the Summer's over; a pity as it's my eldest daughter's graduation ceremony in Brighton on Thursday (though my role will probably be minding the baby). And congrats on finally getting away on a honeymoon - better late than never! Only been to Guernsey, but loved it and I'm sure Jersey will do you proud. Have fun.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Soggy start to the week and August too!
With 10 days of rain predicted, you're submariner is quite topical LOL
Well done with the head and cap, lovely scratch work on the badge.
Well done with the leathers, a super change of direction from the original.
Have a good week, no worries about paint drying out this week
Regards
Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope the weather manages a good day for the graduation Peter.
Meanwhile keep up the good work .

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Definitely easier to paint a submariner during soggy weather (though we've got a rogue hot day today). Glad you like the alternative paint scheme on our man.

John - Weather not looking great for the graduation ceremony, though I gather it's being held indoors - I was hoping to wonder off to the beach with the baby.

This one's finished:

100_5071.JPG100_5072.JPG100_5073.JPG

Just the gear and hands to do today, plus some general touching up. I couldn't be bothered to make u-boat decking, so he's standing on a bit of dock-side paving instead.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very crisp Peter. Liking his cap. A nice change from the norm. Very nice indeed

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice work Peter, one small thing though, i get the flare gun, but why would he be holding his gloves in the other hand at the same time, I may have missed your reasoning back up the post somewhere !