1/16 US Tankers Vignette

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7023.JPGaaa.jpg

So sticking with resin for the time-being, my next project will be to try and make up a little vignette using MJ Miniature's US Tanker and Life Miniatures War Daddy (Fury) figures. I'm not a big Brad Pitt fan (and an even lesser fan of the movie), so unless the head is too good not to paint, I may replace it with the spare head provided with the first figure. I haven't taken delivery of Brad yet, so I've no idea if they are of compatible scales.

I've also ordered a couple of ammo crates as set-dressing:

sls16016.jpgsls16017.jpg

The first figure, and this is what tumbled out of the box:

100_7024.JPG

A simple, beautifully cast figure. The only thing I don't like is that the gun is sculpted with the right arm - I may risk cutting it off at the wrist to make painting easier. Of the heads, the pinkish one looks better, so I'll start with that.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good......painting should be fun.

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Should be fun, but from the only other MJ piece I've done before, I know they can throw up surprises.

The head:

100_7034.JPG100_7030.JPG100_7028.JPG

The face looked totally smooth before painting, but there was quite a lot of roughness revealed once the paint went on. Some of the details on the helmet were a bit unrefined, which was a shame, but overall it painted up OK. Few, knackered....

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Something different Pierre.Never seen these dudes before,Will grab a seat for this.Missed Memphis figure as ive been putty pushing yet again.
Pip pip onk onk.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard. Both figures are relatively new and not cheap - I could have bought at least five Dragon/Tamiya figures for the same price. Still, I suppose we pay for quality.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The head looks extremely life like. A very nice sculpt expertly painted by yourself.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

That is a really good face, loads of character, well done Sir.

The roughness of the helmet doesn't jump out luckily and I guess could just be a hard life story!

I hope you do paint the Fury head as I have 2 x 1:10 Pitt heads somewhere, both Troy and Fury and would love a pukka Peter Day painting guide, selfishly!

Looks like a good day for detail on the body too.

We had a role reversal day yesterday, Anna painted skirting boards, I can't kneel down, so I made a banana cake and banana bread, we had a dozen bananas delivered badly battered, and carrot mash and onion gravy.

Yum Yum LOL

Should be a model painting day today for me, hopefully.

Have a good day with the body

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Stevie J - The head was nice to work on, though a bit tricky in places.

Steve H - I probably will go for the Brad option, so stay tuned. If you have any banana cake left.......

The jacket:

100_7035.JPG100_7036 (2).JPG100_7037.JPG100_7038.JPG

This took ages to do - a combination of getting used to the sculpt, the light palette, and all of that detail to consider. I used Vallejo Khaki as a base, mixed with Camo Black Brown, Chocolate Brown and Off White for lightening and shading. I had intended to use a decal for the arm patch, but it turned out to be too small for the space provided, so I painted it instead. The gun is just primed for now.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Lovely looking figures which I'm sure you'll enjoy. Great start. The face and top are superb.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Resin seems like a whole different ball game after working on plastic for so long. I've also got Man-Jin Kim box art to inspire (and terrify) me.

Ricardo - Thanks mon brave.

Just fiddled with the face a bit, removing some of the wrinkles from across the cheek bones.

100_7041.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice one Peter.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice work on the face lift, you've taken years off him!

Lovely work on the light coloured wind cheater jacket, nice drapery too.

That must have been so much fun to paint and finish!

Anna has nearly eaten all the banana cake! and bread too!!

Another bright and sunny day, the BBC are talking about the best of the week.

I might do some more sorting out in the garage, then some more camo work on the Spitfire?

I do need to put together a better system to avoid dust contamination for future AB work.

Have good day with the trousers and enjoy the sunny weather too

Regards

Steve H