1/16th Norse warrior

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This is my take on a 1/16th Norse Warrior. The resin kit was made by Rogan’s heroes and painted by yours truly.
B32E2DA8-86D3-4E20-9109-E10C7041E127.jpeg
29E114A8-E980-4D2F-96A2-4896CA78AB67.jpeg
B4243591-FF30-4EDA-96CB-981E46A2F294.jpeg
ACD1C80F-B250-4601-A0A7-69DD6C2C98B8.jpeg
1ED0D8F1-A044-4C46-B2C9-E018B08A47B0.jpeg
E4E0CC58-74BF-44A2-AEDE-0C931F17A67D.jpeg
BECB6F88-6EE0-4345-A61F-D446A29F8EAD.jpeg
51EF87A0-31EA-4ED7-B5E8-99EF14379ED4.jpeg
It’s come out OK, but not outstanding. The kit castings were really clean and fitted very well. However, to my eye there are issues with the sculpt. The upper body and head appear to be slightly smaller in scale to the legs and trunk. I also think the helmet should have been cast separately allowing the figures eyes to be sculpted. Without eyes the face is a bit anonymous…..and lastly, the right arm appears unfinished. The hand is fine, but are no real details to the arm, giving it the appearance of a tube. These issues made the figure a bit of a slog to finish, so I’m glad he’s finally off my bench….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tim
Now that post is a perfect example of how the painter/ modeller sees issues which others don't. Vikings make great figures and this is no exception. I think he looks great. Love the tunic and the shield. Even viewed on my big PC screen he looks quality.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
Now that post is a perfect example of how the painter/ modeller sees issues which others don't. Vikings make great figures and this is no exception. I think he looks great. Love the tunic and the shield. Even viewed on my big PC screen he looks quality.
Jim
Thanks Jim, really glad you like him. I think the issue is that over the twenty plus hours I’ve spent on him I am working so close that I really see the faults. I still think some of the sculpt issues should have been sorted out before marketing, but i didn’t buy him so absolve myself there ;) He will go back to his owner next week, and I’m sure he will like him anyway…..

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Very nice work there Tim,we are all our own biggest critics but he looks superb as your figures always do.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice work there Tim,we are all our own biggest critics but he looks superb as your figures always do.
Many thanks Mark. That’s a very nice compliment :cool:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Tim. The armour had come out particularly well. As you say though it is slightly spoilt by the dodgy right arm but that's not your fault.

Very well done.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great work Tim. The armour had come out particularly well. As you say though it is slightly spoilt by the dodgy right arm but that's not your fault.

Very well done.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. Glad you like him. I must admit the sculpture faults did spoil this one for me, but he’s going back to his original home so I won’t have to look at him. I think the pose is also a bit dull and unimaginative….but then, I’m never really happy with anything I produce LOL….

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I love so much about this - the materials are amazing. All the different leathers just look like - leather! The leather scale armour is certainly fantastic, but don't overlook those lovely supple boots or the wrapped shield-edge.
Such a shame about the shortcomings of the sculpt itself - you deserve a medal Tim for persevering with it despite all of them staring at you!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I love so much about this - the materials are amazing. All the different leathers just look like - leather! The leather scale armour is certainly fantastic, but don't overlook those lovely supple boots or the wrapped shield-edge.
Such a shame about the shortcomings of the sculpt itself - you deserve a medal Tim for persevering with it despite all of them staring at you!
Thanks so much Paul, really appreciate your kind comments. He really was an exercise in painting leather wasn’t he. I actually think the boot colour looks well considering all I did was put a coat of Vallejo flesh ink over the Zenital prime. They look a bit like something from Clarke’s worn by a re-enactor though…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Andy…..really glad you like him. See, I can get your name right sometimes…..but I’ll try not to make a habit of it…..

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Beautiful work Tim. One to be proud of. Really enjoyed watching this one progress from start to finish