1/16th Norse warrior

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Be nice Tim, shove a cream cake in his gob!
Sort of spoils the image though doesn’t it Bob…..he’ll be less a “fearless Swedish warrior” and more a “Bank manager from Malmö….”

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tim,
superb painting!, but the lack of eyes detracts from the figure, it makes him.................anonymous - a Viking Hell's Angel with dark goggles! I have the ICM 1/16 Viking in my stash, and this may stimulate his appearance.
Where did you get the inspiration for the shield insignia? I've looked around, and most references seem to be modern takes, & a bit too complicated! I reckon quarters, with two colours would be one of the most common shield decoration, but with a lack of contemporary evidence - I'm unsure.
I reckon if the raider has just come from his longboat, then he'd look a little more.............lived in. I know that they took care in their personal appearance, but that must have been relative.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim,
superb painting!, but the lack of eyes detracts from the figure, it makes him.................anonymous - a Viking Hell's Angel with dark goggles! I have the ICM 1/16 Viking in my stash, and this may stimulate his appearance.
Where did you get the inspiration for the shield insignia? I've looked around, and most references seem to be modern takes, & a bit too complicated! I reckon quarters, with two colours would be one of the most common shield decoration, but with a lack of contemporary evidence - I'm unsure.
I reckon if the raider has just come from his longboat, then he'd look a little more.............lived in. I know that they took care in their personal appearance, but that must have been relative.
Dave

Thanks Dave. Nice compliment there. Agreed ref the lack of eyes, it “kills” the face to me….
The shield design was copied off the net. I just Googled for Historical Viking Shield Images and picked one I liked. I sketched out the design as single line shapes, using 2B pencil, and then just thickened up the lines with black paint until they looked right…then faded out the middles using dark grey because pure black doesn’t look right. I know very little about Vikings (or the dark ages in general) so really don‘t know if it’s authentic. It’s always worth putting the effort in to make it interesting though, shields are one of the focal points of a figure. Faces, bases, flags and shields goes the mantra.
Agree about the weathering (or lack of it) but I’ve painted this for someone else and he wanted it relatively clean. He looks rather like a re-enactor to me to be honest.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superbly painted tim , stunning skills . Have to agree with you about the lack of eyes behind the goggles , btw i never realised it was the Vikings that invented ray bans too . Now you mention it his right arm does look a bit smooth and tube like but im sure the recipient of this will be chuffed to bits regardless . Cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Superbly painted tim , stunning skills . Have to agree with you about the lack of eyes behind the goggles , btw i never realised it was the Vikings that invented ray bans too . Now you mention it his right arm does look a bit smooth and tube like but im sure the recipient of this will be chuffed to bits regardless . Cheers tony
Thanks Tony, really appreciate that mate…..

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tim,
I've just dug the ICM viking from my stash - and to my surprise I'd already started it - I can remember buying it, but not cutting plastic!
I'd actually painted the shield ( but nothing else! )
w_3_0070769_viking-warriors-shield-red-and-cream_415.png

This is the reference I used - mine looks a little rougher - I reason that not every Viking was a good artist!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim,
I've just dug the ICM viking from my stash - and to my surprise I'd already started it - I can remember buying it, but not cutting plastic!
I'd actually painted the shield ( but nothing else! )
View attachment 433579

This is the reference I used - mine looks a little rougher - I reason that not every Viking was a good artist!
Dave
Hi Dave
I’d agree about the rougher paint, and I also think the boss would be nowhere near that shiny, not least because it would be cast or hammered. Also bear in mind that Viking shields were edge bound in rawhide leather. It’s a common mistake that I made on an earlier one myself. Apparent the rawhide was shrunk onto the shield rim and added to the strength of the planked shield assembly. Should be a fun build though……

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Wow! Superb Norseman figure, stunningly detailed armoured tunic especially. Flawless effort.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ooh , that's neat Tim, love the leather work esp, great colours .
If I was on the PC the committee would give you the Dogs Award.I shall call a meeting in the morning , as Greg would say " Watch this space "

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ooh , that's neat Tim, love the leather work esp, great colours .
If I was on the PC the committee would give you the Dogs Award.I shall call a meeting in the morning , as Greg would say " Watch this space "
Thanks John, glad you approve……

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Many thanks…..Blame Covid for the late award John. It gets blamed for everything else…..

• Haha
Reactions: JR