1/24 Audi R8

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
OK, that's the front lights and grilles done.P1160923 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
I should have painted the edges of the clear covers black. They look as if they are standing proud, but they're not. I'll try to run some Clear into the joint, that might help reduce the frosted effect.
I managed to remove the windscreen and re-glue it. I taped some short pieces cut from a coffee stirrer to the ends of the screen so the tape puts pressure on the ends rather than the middle.
Now for the back end...
Pete

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I think I've run out of plastic bits to stick together; just a few more decals and a clearcoat, and I can join the body to the chassis. I wonder if it still fits...? Seems a long time and a lot of added parts since I tried a dry fit.
P1160924 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
I think I've got the engine bay/cover/hatchback/tailgate assembled correctly - the instructions are really vague, and the vertical part between the engine bay and the cockpit doesn't really seem to fit anywhere. That's Revell for you!
I'll need to decant some of that Simoniz acrylic clear and put it through the airbrush. I've never tried decanting from rattle cans before, so wish me luck! I'll be interested to see if I can avoid the orange peel effect with the airbrush.
Oh, and I knocked a door mirror off while removing and refitting the windscreen, so that needs re-sticking. Then I can join the body with this:P1160925 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
I hope it fits!
Then perhaps I can find a kit in my stash that won't present so many 'challenges'.

Pete

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, this kit fought to the bitter end! The decanted clearcoat went pretty well, but I'd masked off the parts I didn't want to be glossy, and when I removed the masking some of the front number plate came off as well. I tried to touch it in with some white paint, but made a mess of it.
P1160926 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
So I removed both the registration plate decals as well as the white paint and re-registered the car with German plates. I'd have preferred a UK registration, but it's left-hand drive (are the real ones available in RHD?).
The body sort of fits the chassis:
P1160927 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
I'll put up a 'finished' thread.
Now, what next...
Pete