1/24 Audi R8

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Pete

Sorry to hear of the domestic woes.

Car is coming on nicely despite all the issues.

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Pete..........Very late at looking in on this one ..........Wow, certainly a lot of work into this so far but seems to me that you will pull it off in the end. Love the black wheels as it will be a real "meat eater" when you put the final touches on it. Looking forward to the next update. Rick H. :thumb2:

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Trying to remember the last time I built a model car. I think it was around 1969!
This is a Revell kit repackaged for Marks & Spencer, so it's not just any Audi R8, it's an M & S Audi.
View attachment 418722
Another charity shop bargain of course. One day I really must buy a kit from a model shop. You'll notice it says it includes paints, glue and a brush. Well, the paints and glue are there, but the brush looks a bit bald:
View attachment 418723
The box was sealed when I bought it, and there are no brush hairs in the box so it must have been packed like that.
Sprues were nicely packed in plastic bags, one for each colour so 3 or less in each bag.
View attachment 418724View attachment 418725
View attachment 418727
8 sprues, plus the body, and separate vinyl tyres. I haven't noticed any flash yet. I'll have to get that 'chrome' sprue in a bath of bleach. What's the best finish for these polished alloy wheels?
There's also a nice decal sheet, and a small piece of plastic mesh.
View attachment 418726
The thing that's been putting me off building cars is painting the body. I've never had much success with rattle cans, and when I've tried to decant paint from them I've just made a mess.
At the moment I'm thinking I might paint the body in Tamiya X13 metallic blue, as a change for the 'silver' that R8s often are, and I have an unopened jar here. Whether I can get a decent gloss finish is another matter though!
All suggestions welcome.
Hope to make a start tomorrow.
Pete
If your gloss is still an issue, in halfords they do a spray can made by simoniz of acrylic gloss, you can build up light coats and settles into the smoothest finish I've ever seen from a can(like glass!)and a very high gloss finish,won't need polishing,takes a little while to dry properly. I used on my 64 impala, used 12000 grit polishing pads on it (no polish) just to get rid of the few bits of dirt I got in the paint.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If your gloss is still an issue, in halfords they do a spray can made by simoniz of acrylic gloss, you can build up light coats and settles into the smoothest finish I've ever seen from a can(like glass!)and a very high gloss finish,won't need polishing,takes a little while to dry properly. I used on my 64 impala, used 12000 grit polishing pads on it (no polish) just to get rid of the few bits of dirt I got in the paint.
Thanks, I'll remember that when I get closer to completion.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, it's hard to believe I've done no modelling since June! Still struggling with plumbers and painters but I need to get this moving again. Dashboard is now finished, and the interior tub is complete.
P1160899.JPGP1160900.JPG

That is close to being installed on the floorpan, but that can wait until tomorrow.
P1160901.JPG
The next stages involve the various windows, which all have a frosted band around the outside, which needs to be painted black. That'll have to wait until my hands are not so shaky.P1160902.JPG
That'll do for now, hopefully the next update will be a bit sooner!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Stalled again! I've had several tries at brush painting the black surround on the windows but none of them looked good enough. I could probably mask the front windscreen, but the rear and side windows are tricky shapes. The frosted areas don't show up very well on a scan, so I couldn't make my own masks, and the only ready-made masks I can find are in Hong Kong, and the seller states that delivery is usually 1 - 2 months but could be longer due to Covid!
I'll have another try at masking using Tamiya tape for curves. :disappointed2:
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I've been over-thinking this. Time to man up and get on with it!
P1160907 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Had to resize that one!
Then put some paint through the airbrush for the first time in months:
IMG_20211108_151402750 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
I'll let that cure overnight. Might actually be able to do some building tomorrow.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I mentioned in the "New Acquisitions" thread that I'd bought a can of the Simoniz clear acrylic that Mark1 suggested. It certainly is shiny, but my inept handling of the rattle can meant it has a bad case of orange peel.
P1160913 [Desktop Resolution].JPGP1160914 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
I know I could rub that down with some fine sanding sponges then polish it, but I don't think I'll bother. I'll see how it looks when it's closer to completion.
I've starting fitting the windows, along with things like lights and grilles.P1160915 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Windscreen and door mirrors tomorrow, with a bit of luck.
Pete

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Revell kindly provide silver decals for the door mirrors - unfortunately they're far too small!
P1160916 [Desktop Resolution].JPG I've filled in the rest of the mirror with my trusty UniPaint silver marker pen.
They also provide decals for the brake calipers:
P1160918 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
As well as some for the grilles, which are a PITA to fit as they go a long way down in between the 'ribs'.
P1160917 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
It was a lot easier once I thought to cut off the excess carrier film.
Just one more for today:
P1160919 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Can't really see it in the photo - the tiny silvery 'quattro' badge in the grille.

Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think with all the other problems you managed to do this well Peter. Like the blue regardless of the orange peel , if you hadn't have mentioned it I wouldn't have thought any less .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks chaps! Today's problem - wheels!
They go together as a four-part 'sandwich', held together by the tyre, with no cement needed.
P1160921 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Two of them went together with no problems, but on the third I tried, the outer part (90) just wouldn't go into the tyre. No idea why not. There are a couple of little lumps on the inside of the tyre but I don't think they're the problem as the rubber is quite soft.
I damaged the paint trying to get it to fit, and I was going to try to fit the remaining wheel together when I noticed the paint on that one was damaged too, so I've given them both a respray. I'll try the assembly again when the new paint has had a chance to harden properly.
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks chaps! Today's problem - wheels!
They go together as a four-part 'sandwich', held together by the tyre, with no cement needed.
View attachment 439472
Two of them went together with no problems, but on the third I tried, the outer part (90) just wouldn't go into the tyre. No idea why not. There are a couple of little lumps on the inside of the tyre but I don't think they're the problem as the rubber is quite soft.
I damaged the paint trying to get it to fit, and I was going to try to fit the remaining wheel together when I noticed the paint on that one was damaged too, so I've given them both a respray. I'll try the assembly again when the new paint has had a chance to harden properly.
Pete
Pete maybe a spot a washing up liquid to ease it together ?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks John, but I don't think it's just friction, there's something solid stopping it.
Ah, spotted it - now you've made me think about it, there's a small protrusion in the inner wheel that fits into a notch in the outer - but there's a ridge in the inside of the tyre that's in the way, so I can't see it when the tyre is on. I'll try to cut a piece out of the tyre. I must have just got lucky with the orientation with the first two.
Memo to self - look at the bloody parts before you try to fit them together!

Pete

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hopefully this new find will enable you to complete the wheels Pete.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I found the problem with the wheel that wouldn't go together - rubber flash on the inside of the tyre. Couldn't cut it with a scalpel, had to grind it away with a Dremel on high speed. But, one step forward, two steps back - the windscreen came unstuck, (it doesn't have enough curvature) which wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't fitted the wipers. Struggling now to get the front lights to fit - tricky to see where to sand them down, as they don't have any straight edges and they fit in a space that curves in two directions. Oh well, they'll get done, eventually!
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not the best fit and finish then Peter….keep grinding away at it (literally) and you’ll get there though.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Well this kit started off badly and just got worse. Certainly plenty of issues. Despite everything it's actually looking rather good. The blue paintwork looks nice regardless of the orange peel look.
Jim