1/24 Italeri Willys Jeep MB (Kit 3635) Rubber Tyres

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hiya Guys,
I have just obtained the above kit to build for a friend who loves WWII Jeeps... It arrived today from John at Scale Model Shop :smiling::thumb2:

The kit comes with rubber tyres and I am not sure how to proceed with these for this type of kit! The rubber tyres are an alternative to the plastic tyres which also come with the kit and I am looking for some advice and guidance on how to deal with the rubber tyres.

I have not done much armour, and when building car & bike kits in the past I have never needed to consider weathering of the tyres as they either go on virtually as is apart from decals in which case I have never bothered sealing the decals in with clear coat, I have tried but had nightmares and the decals not working or wrinkling etc...

I would like to add some light weathering using washes etc on the rubber tyres but I don't know if I need to maybe seal them first or not! or do I need to paint them first? :thinking: but then doing that seems to go against the fact they are already rubber!!

I am considering using a mix of Vallejo Model Wash 76.523 European Dust and 76.522 Desert Dust to give some definition to the treads and markings and develop a used look, but I am not sure how these water acrylic washes may work direct onto rubber and as I only have the 5 tyres I don't want to run head long into testing things out on one in case I spoil the tyre and can't get something off..

I will have to scuff up and lightly sand the tread areas in any case as they have a seam line running along the middle and a slight witness of an injection point in one location on the seam..

In general with the model I am not looking at doing any heavy weathering, just a low level of subtle weathering to give a used but not abused look and feel to the overall kit.

I would be very grateful of peoples thoughts and guidance on this?

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Normally if I have a kit with rubber tyres I use scotchbrite and give the whole wheel a good rub down. this removes the surface shine and any oils from the moulding process. it also gives a good key for further processes. As to weathering pigments they can be mixed with water and used in the normal way, then sealed in with a matt coat. HTH. Other guys will have their own ways.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My opinion on 'rubber' tyres is to bin them in favour of plastic or resin - I hate them, having had some decompose over time! Yuk!!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I use pretty much the same method as scottie but mix about 50-50 water , Matt varnish.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My opinion on 'rubber' tyres is to bin them in favour of plastic or resin - I hate them, having had some decompose over time! Yuk!!
It’s a pretty much a crap shoot whether they will or not. I have kits built 30 or more years ago on which they are still perfect, and I also have models on which they split within a few years. I even have two almost identical models (two versions of the same kit) that stood on a shelf side by side, and the rubber tyres split on one but not the other …

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I just hope for the best Alex, I have used resin replacements in the past to be fair, but normally just hope they will be ok.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Weathering powders or pastel chalks will knock the sheen off of them PDQ, then you can seal them with a very light spray of your favorite matte coat. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I don’t like them either, but sometimes they have to be used. As far as I’m aware the deterioration issue comes from reaction between the plasticisers in the kit plastic and the tyre rubber. If you use them, then completely painting the hub before fitting the tyre should materially reduce that issue as the paint seals in the plasticisers. Otherwise, following Scottie’s advice is sound. Paint adhesion on the rubber is always limited in my experience though, so go for the washes after the wheels are completely assembled.
Personally, I don’t know why kit makers persist with them :angry:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
And swimming against the tide, it's Dan.....

I've only done two kits with rubber tyres. An Italeri Opel Blitz 30 years ago ( they're still fine) and the FAMO und Tiefladeanhanger at the moment.

I like them. The trailer tyres I just sanded with some 1000 wet & dry and added a bit of dirt in between the treads.

I'm happy with them.

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hiya Guys,
Thank you all for your thoughts and musings..

As the wheels are solid and I can slip the tyres on and off I am going to paint the wheels then see how the tyres look after scrubbing up the treads with fine grit sticks and an acrylic dust wash. I have tested the wash on a small piece of plastic and even when dry it seems to re wet up and wash off if I don't like the look.

I also have the plastic tyres in the kit, though the detail on these is a bit poor I will prep them and paint them but not glue together just yet.. as the seam is down the middle I could remove the rubber tyres and add the plastic and just touch up the tread and then weather it and it should look ok..

I will see how things go and update when I get that far... Still dealing with loads and loads of injector pin marks!!!!