1/24 Samba "Sleepah" ZZZzzz mph

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I decided that I wanted to build myself a sleeper dragster/hot rod, based on a VW Samba bus after seeing outrageous mods on Netflix and YouTube. Feeling inspired after my Stratos build, I at first decided to go down the route of fitting a 911 engine to the kit, but decided that this was so "old hat" and done to death in the real world.

What to do??

I wanted it to look worn and rusty, but low slung with intent without been obviously a monster in disguise. The 911 approach was scrapped so where was I going to get my power plant from, then it struck me - Revell have a neat Audi R8 with a lovely engine package that I could borrow and decent wheels to boot. So, I decided to create my own hybrid Frankenstein by combining the Revell R8 with the Revell Samba.

This will require some thought as I am entering very deep water and unknowns where I risk wasting two decent kits, but with the potential of creating some thing special and unique.

I will post images of my WIP as time progresses.

Till later.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well, here are my test subjects for my Frankenstein build. I tried to do some initial planning for cut outs to fit the R8 engine and compared chassis to see "compatibility"

Next round I'll show some of my work on the chassis's.

Till later

Attachments

• planning chassis mod.jpg
    planning chassis mod.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 15
  • R8 engine plan.jpg
    R8 engine plan.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 22
  • Samba + R8.jpg
    Samba + R8.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Samba chassis vs R8 chassis.jpg
    Samba chassis vs R8 chassis.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 22

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
The R8 chassis is a bit larger than the Samba's so this will require some more thought.

I start off putting in a cutout into the Samba inner pan to fit the engine through....
need a bigger cut out for R8 engine.jpg

It turns out that I need a bigger cutout.

R8 seats.jpg

I cut off the rear of the R8 chassis to mate with the lower Samba chassis.

chassis test.jpgchopped cown R8 chassis + engine.jpg

But, this does not work......more surgery is required.:sick:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Decided to opt for a cut down R8 chassis.

1548104414704.png

Now I am having to chop the Samba inner pan to match......YIKES!

cutting down samba inner pan.jpg

This is Frankenstein!!

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well on wards and upwards!

I put the wheels together and gave them and the engine a wash finish. Using the full Audi suspension was the intent, but after having to slim it down to mate with chopped up Samba inner pan I may have to cut back on the suspension, not that you would notice as the double wishbone sits well within the wheel rim - this give me a bit wriggle space.

engine & wheels.jpg
trial fit wheels.jpg

The engine looks good on the back of the hybrid chassis.
test fit seats and engine.jpg

The body was a bit of work as it comprised of about 12 pieces including the rear part of the inner pan that was chopped off.
assembling body.jpg
body assembly.jpg
body assembled.jpg

Next up is the engine bay!!

What to do??:tongue-out3:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well, work is progressing on my Frankenstein Samba. The engine bay needed to be addressed.
I have decided to blend the R8 with the Samba in this area.
Started off with card template to make the engine bay.
engine bay template.jpgengine bay trial.jpgtrial assembly 2.jpgtrial assembly.jpg
I have also decided to create cut outs for the air intakes so the engine can breathe, like a R8.
INTAKE 1.jpgINTAKE 2.jpg

Thanks for watching! :thumb2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Thanks Paul & Ian, this has been a struggle trying to figure out a process that won't leave me trying to fit and paint things through an open window......:fearful:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi guys, its been a while and I have been tinkering on the Samba "Sleepah".

I have done a bit of pre-rusting paint work on the body.

I have been working on the interior, and am currently working on the dash. Just finished plumbing in the "Go Faster" dial - the rest of the decals are still on their way

Thanks for watching!:thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not trying to make your life even harder, but that would look very cool if you chop half the height out the windows...................

Then you would have to slam it as well. Get those nice Audi rims right up in the wheel arches....

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Yeah, that is cool but unfortunately that will not happen as the bulk of the interior has been done and would require some serious rethinking of the seating arrangement. Thanks for the input, I have seen another cool build where the guy did chop the roof and put in a PE bomber seat.......very cool!

The wheels are well an truly buried, so it will be slammed to the floor.

I wanted to maintain a fairly stock look externally, where you had to look really close to see that there is a beast lurking under the skin.

Still tons of work to be done, just hoping that I don't muck it up.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
In the meanwhile, the dash is ready with a few subtle and one very obvious embellishment.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is "Bad *ss"! and I'm glad you are going with the original sleeper concept. I had a friend who stuffed a Big Block Chevy into a four door Chevy Nova, bench seats and all . He even left the stock hubcaps on the wider than stock wheels. Very convincing and very deadly. Cheers Rick H.