1/24 Tamiya Ducati Desmosedici

F

Fenlander

It is a long time since I built a bike and I may live to regret this but I needed a project to work on while waiting for paint to dry on the Citroën Fourgon.  This has been wallflower in the back of my stash for ages, I cannot even remember buying it but it is a classic old Tamiya bike.

It will be OOB other than the Marlboro decals that I bought when I first got the kit as Tamiya have a strict no smoking policy and left them out.

DSC_0073.JPG

A bit of a start made with the basic engine block built and painted and the exhaust pipes done, not glued in place as yet..  Not sure the heat staining is working so I may re spray them. Also built up the stand for it as there is no other way of standing these things up without it.

DSC_0076.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice atart to this one,will be watching as I,m about to start one as well, :D

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ooooo I'm looking forward to this!

Great bike, what looks like a good kit and Graham's build skills - a winning combo

Should be a fine model. Plus, I just love Ducati bikes

Cheers
P

F

Fenlander

Ooooo I'm looking forward to this!

Great bike, what looks like a good kit and Graham's build skills - a winning combo

Should be a fine model. Plus, I just love Ducati bikes

Cheers
P

They are nice bikes Paul but I wish there were more British bikes available.  Let's be honest.... any British bikes.....

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Italari do a Norton and a triumph graham

I know but they are 1/9 scale, bit big.  Having said that I am drooling a bit over the 500cc Manx Norton that John has in Scale Model Shop especially as it depicts a 1951 vintage exactly the same vintage as me lol.

F

Fenlander

Cracked on with a bit more today.  Small fiddly bits that take ages to do but it doesn't look much.  Doesn't matter if it isn't perfect as most of what you see here will not be seen on the finished model anyway.

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice work with this so far , Graham ,its good as it give me more ,of a look of how,

things should be placed,and fit,great help, :D

real like the metal color your used,and the brassy part as well,what colors would they be plz, :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

Cheers Monica.  I decided with this one to follow the Tamiya callouts for the paint.  The 'brassy' parts are mixtures of gunmetal and titanium gold, titanium silver also features a lot in in this one.  Obviously your kit may differ but the only breaks from the Tamiya callouts are the main engine block which is Alclad Aluminium as I didn't like the way the Tamiya paint looked.  Also, the callout for the red is for a spray bright red, I am using X7 gloss red as I don't use their spray cans.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Graham

Cheers Monica.  I decided with this one to follow the Tamiya callouts for the paint.  The 'brassy' parts are mixtures of gunmetal and titanium gold, titanium silver also features a lot in in this one.  Obviously your kit may differ but the only breaks from the Tamiya callouts are the main engine block which is Alclad Aluminium as I didn't like the way the Tamiya paint looked.  Also, the callout for the red is for a spray bright red, I am using X7 gloss red as I don't use their spray cans.

ta for the help and info, Graham ,I do real like these colors will make a not of them,your colors,

look much better than an,  Alclad Aluminium , for engine block , :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

Assembled the main 'body' parts.  Great fit all round but some seam lines inevitable so I thought I would get them glued up this morning to fully harden off ready for prep work for priming on Monday.  Got family up all day tomorrow for a Sunday roast so I will be in the kitchen massaging my beef..... O.o

The rear seat cowling, second up on the left, has five parts in it but goes together very nicely.  Quite enjoying this build now.  Also shows me how much calmer my approach to modelling has become since I stopped trying to be clever and just build for the fun of it. Few ejector pin marks on the forks but I have plopped a bead of liquid styrene (old bits of sprue melted in Tamiya extra thin I prepared in a bottle) so they should not be a problem.  I doubt you would have seen them when assembled anyway.

Have a good weekend folks, see you on the other side.

DSC_0084.JPG