1/24 Tamiya Sauber Mercedes C9

First Name
Jason
I started this kit about 3 months ago. I decided I was going to paint it in Halfords aerosols (other vehicle accessory shops are available). So I bought primer, colour and clear. I followed the instructions to the letter and behold....... as soon as I shot the clear it went horribly wrong:ranting2:! I've never seen a reaction like it, it was as if the paint was trying to jump off of the plastic. Has anyone else had this??

So. after putting it away for a week to calm down, I stripped it and tried again. Its not perfect but it'll do.

I have been sort of finishing it off alongside my motorbike group build and an afternoon off today meant I could clean all my grubby fingerprints off of it and take some pics.

View attachment 66847View attachment 66848View attachment 66849View attachment 66850

Jason

View attachment 67908

View attachment 67909

View attachment 67910

View attachment 67911

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

DSC00753.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great rescue jason, you cant tell that it had a paint nightmare,it looks perfect. I use halfords primers and their appliance white all the time and havent had any probs , although the one time i used the clear laquer it did take a LONG time to fully cure. Maybe this was down to my paint process (about 3 coats of Tamiya clear red over a base coat of metallic gold , then at least 2 wet coats of the Halfords acrylic clear laquer - candy apple red :smiling3: ) ,it did cure after a few days but I had to be careful handling it during this time as, although dry to the touch, it was easy to leave a fingerprint in the still soft laquer. Perhaps the clear laquer has a higher proportion of solvent in it , to flow better to help give the gloss finish (what i mean is its more runnier!!) which might have caused the base coats to dissolve? Anyhoo, back to the Sauber , 5 stars from me , cheers tony

First Name
Jason
Thanks Tony. I Think you are right about the laquer, I put two light coats and it was fine but the minute I hit it with a wet coat it started to attack the colour and primer. Too much or too aggressive a solvent!! Anyway you lives and learns. Thanks again mate.

Jason

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Jason I don't do cars but from what I can see just like Tony said what a great recovery. Looks smashing to me 5 stars also

O

omi1966

very nice the engine detail is excellent .... paint looks very smooth 5* sir.

martin.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That looks brilliant Jason, Like Ian I'm no car builder, but I can appreciate great work.

5 stars from me also.

Tony.

First Name
Jason
Really appreciate the great comments. Thanks All!

Jason

First Name
Gregg
Stunning, all these car builds are starting to grow on me ! mmmmm!

Gregg