1/250 Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry 'Bute'..... A Card Model.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yes I know its a re-hash and some folks might not approve of such things, but I thought it might be of interest to anyone who has not yet seen a card model put together before. Fear not, it will be a quick build description. A bit of a taster really......
I've sailed on the real ferry a few times when I've visit the Isle of Bute and the Clyde Estuary, so she holds a bit of sentiment for me.

These card models are both a challenge, a heap of frustration and head banging all wrapped up in foul language!

Some card models are laser cut - This wasn't...... :worried:!

Here is the 'Box Art and a couple of sprues' I think it was 4 pages of card in total.
Bute Ferry....Card model 004.jpg

The cargo.
Bute Ferry....Card model 007.jpg

One of the printed cards for the ferry.
Bute Ferry....Card model 008.jpg

A couple of important pointers for any would be card stickertogetherers.

A brand new 10A size scalpel blade is a must. Don't even think of using a second hand one!
A steel rule.
A quick acting card glue.
Cut dead on to the lines. The slightest deviation will be terminal. Be warned.
Where a fold is required very gently scribe along the line once with your very sharp scalpel. Press too hard - See above.

I really hope this quick build will be of some general interest. She'll simply be moored up at the ferry terminal.
Those who have seen this before, please pass by and have a brew.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Definitely in for this. During our 11 years living on The Isle of Lewis we regularly took the Calmac ferries. Either Stornoway to Ullapool or Tarbert to Uig on Skye.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Watching. I saw a display by the UK Card Model Group at a show last year, and I was very impressed by the detail on many of them.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, nice to see a card model on the forum - I used to have a real mania for building these things - I still have a load of GPM card models - Prince of Wales, Zuikaku, Saratoga at 1/200, and Wilhelmshaven Model 1/250 Forrestal ( over 1.3m long ), Titanic, and a whole load of smaller warships & merchant ships. These can end up really large. The largest commercial card model I've seen was a 1/70 SD14 Cargo ship - over 7 feet long, and came on 180+ A3 sheets! What you really need is a very big building desk - and a box of scalpel blades - card blunts blades quickly! I used UHU glue extensively. I used to beef up all the frames with carboard from cornflake packets. ( I used to canvas my co-workers for these ). I eventually stopped, purely because of the massive space needed, not only for display, but the long periods it took to make them!
Dave
ps the models I have are unmade - flatpacks!

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I made a card model of the royal yacht Britannia in the fifties. I remember it burned much more realistically then plastic models...
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nearly forgot this...... :upside:
Thanks for the support chaps.

Jim - I remember our 'chats' whilst you were still living on the Outer Isles before you emigrated to Oswestry! My wife and I love Island hopping aboard CalMac ferries around the Inner and Outer Hebrides. We've done all the routes now. Great fun..... :thumb2:

O.K. it won't be a shot by shot build, more a quick build pointer to show to those who have not made a card model the principal with which these things go together.
Those that have built one will know it's absolutely vital to get the cuts spot on. Warping or worse can result from the slightest deviation from the lines.

Here's the first stage. 'The Car Deck'
It's a waterline model, so first up is some cross strengtheners for the deck. I've already glued the centre longitudinal stiffener in place.
Bute Ferry....Card model 001.jpg

The numbered box strengtheners folded and glued in place.
Bute Ferry....Card model 002.jpg

Away we go.....

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Very interesting. There are quite a few of these card models made - I looked at 'tinterweb :smiling2:. I'll watch this and I might be tempted to get one.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
Choose carefully. The larger ship models look great on paper (no pun intended) but, for me anyway, they would be far too difficult and time consuming.
That's why I went for this kit. Small enough for a first time go and to see how they are constructed, but still a challenge.

The one piece car deck stuck down. Making sure it lined up perfectly with the underside stiffeners.
Bute Ferry....Card model 003.jpg

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Ron,

You are off and running on this very interesting card kit. I have seen them for buildings and even one for a tank, but no ships. One thing is puzzling though with your last pic...Are you sure "Bute Eilean Bhòid" doesn't mean "Big Aircraft Carrier"??? I'm in on this and where are the planes anyway………...

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall join the merry crowd .
Looks a complex build, but a great thing to try .
Hats of the you 570 .
Yours .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I have a 1:1 AK47 and some 1:25 tanks - all unmade of course and having looked at them they will probably stay that way :smiling4:

I would rather scratch build them in plastic - it would be easier

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I will be watching this with intrest as I to have a large card model collection to build namely 2x NASA Crawlers 2 Umbilical Launch Towers one which is over 6ft tall when built luna module titanic bismark hood 2 Bell X1’s Vulcan BMK2 4ft wingspan B52 5ft wingspan B29 4.5 ft wingspan SR71 F104 and finally 4 Hindenburgs each 4ft long so I coincide with you about the size of these things then again they cost at most £30 from Poland and most are under £20 so they give excellent value for money and most are highly detailed on par with their plastic counterparts
You just need paitence and determination to build them and good supply of scalpel blades as you say

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your comments chaps.

If the good lord thought up anything more frustrating, difficult and time consuming than card models, he kept it to himself!

Off on a slight tangent, the last time my wife and I were on this ferry on the Clyde Estuary heading for the Isle of Bute, for a short time we had company........

She was heading out to sea from Faslane.

I hope you find the pictures of some interest.

P1130924 (2).JPG

P1130926 (2).JPG

P1130928 (2).JPG

P1130930 (3).JPG

P1130931 (2).JPG

P1130932 (2).JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Interesting - the most we ever saw from a Calmac ferry were dolphins and basking sharks :tongue-out3:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Interesting - the most we ever saw from a Calmac ferry were dolphins and basking sharks :tongue-out3:
Jim

Jim, I was thinking of you when I posted the snaps. I hope they brought back happy memories of your time on Lewis and tootling about on the ferries......:thumb2:
You won't see many of these around your way on the Montgomery Canal!
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'll rattle through this now. The strengtheners for the superstructure and top deck.

The main cut and fold strengthening member is built upside down to start with. It is easier to fold that way.
The two cross members which will support the upper deck are made and then glued to the main bit.

Ready for gluing onto the car deck.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim, good to see you're still hanging on in.

Next up we start of the upper deck. Here is the top section all cut out and ready for folding.

Two side pieces, likewise ready to stick on the sides of the above.

The windows on the model are just printed on, so I decided to cut them out and replace with thin clear plastic.

Here's the completed section with the addition of a viewing deck and steps. The card is marked where the seats are to go.

Cheers.
Ron