1/250 Caledonian MacBrayne Ferry 'Bute'..... A Card Model.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Here is the Cement Mixer. My favourite. What a pig to cut out and put together...:cold-sweat:

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Ron,

A man goes to work for a few days and bam, this baby is almost finished. Sorry you didn't get any planes, but the cement mixer is outrageous to say the least. It's too cool and must have been a bear to glue together.

With such a kit, I would imagine you have to fold the parts perfectly on the lines or it might turn out crooked when you glue it together. Really fascinating stuff these paper puppies and you have done a super job on this one!!!

Prost
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
With such a kit, I would imagine you have to fold the parts perfectly on the lines or it might turn out crooked when you glue it together.
Prost
Allen

Thanks for your post Allen.
I've found with this, my first go at card model is to first get pieces cut out absolutely spot on with the outlines. Secondly, when scouring along the fold lines not only get the scribed lines dead on but be very careful not to cut right through the card! Luckily I managed to avoid such an embarrassment - Just!
Providing you do the above, the folding although fiddly, is not so bad providing you can see the item you are folding!..... :dizzy:

Here's the smallest vehicle. A Fiat. This is built in one piece. Ridiculously difficult to build for so small a model. You can see it flat top centre-ish on the opening page 'Sprue shots'

Smaller parts yet to come!

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Ridiculous stuff. Love those tiny vehicles. Just had a look at Dave's link. Jaw dropping doesn't come into it!! :flushed:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim. Only another 13 more vehicles. Vans, coaches, trucks and cars to add. Now folks have seen the above three, I will only show the remainder completed on the ferry's car deck etc.

I too had a look at Dave's link. Amazing stuff for sure, but having gone through all sorts of negative emotions building of this relatively small model. NO THANKS!....Well maybe.

Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If you want to dip your toes in the water this site offers free models downloads currell I've made the V-2, quite good.
Some of the printer manufacturers also offer free models - Canon is the best canon they tend to be a bit simpler - you don't need to register, or anything, just have an inkjet printer & some card stock
You have to be careful of 'free' downloads - there are a lot of knock off copies of commercially sold models - Russian sites seem to be the worst...............
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Amazing. How many scalpel blades have you used so far Ron?
Pete

Pete - Too many!

Here is one of the passenger seating arrangements.
8mm X 2mm, they each have 4 folds to make. There are around forty similar ones around the upper decks of the ferry!

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your concern...... :upside:

Also, you will no doubt have sat on the real things. Polypropylene and all!
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Because we had the dogs with us we had to sit in the designated dog area on the Isle of Lewis. All very uncomfortable, plastic seating for the 3 hours to Ullapool. When the brand new Loch Seaforth was introduced on that run they allowed dogs in an area mixed in with the normal seating. Proper comfort, aircraft type seating.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Morning Jim.
For the shorter hauls we leave our dog in the campervan. She is a proper sea dog.

On trips of 1 to 3 hours we take her on deck. We have never been challenged, in fact it was only last year we realised there was a designated area for dogs. Perhaps things are more relaxed now. On our last 4 hour trip from Oban to Barra, a chef out on deck for a smoke actually brought her a sausage to eat!

Update.
As I have shown a few samples of the small items, I'll finish the build here. Apart from anything else, I can't find any more pictures of the construction...... :upside:

I'll set to and post the pictures of the finished model.

Thank you for all your most excellent posts. As always much appreciated.

Ron