1/32 Bf 110 G4 NF

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great Andy. I have 3 of these in 1/48 to build. Looked at the 1/32 kit but it's ment to be ancient. What did you make of it?

L

Lancasterb1

\ said:
Looks great Andy. I have 3 of these in 1/48 to build. Looked at the 1/32 kit but it's ment to be ancient. What did you make of it?
Alleyne in answer to your question, the kit was not that bad to put together, there are a few bits missing from it such as the Schrager Musik and also the cockpit is not the best, a few pieces from Eduard and resin wheels made the difference. The decals were not the best due to age, but sat well with some Microsol and Microset. A bit of flash on the sprues but all of these were minor irritations and if you can lay your hands on one of these kits they are well worth the challange. All in all not a bad kit just dated slightly but these niggles can be overcome with the up to date after market stuff that is available these days.

Andy

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Many thanks Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job andy! I know the old revell kits are a bit of a task to bring up to modern standards ( ive tackled the 1/32 corsair and beaufighter) but as youve proved it can make a superb model. The camo is great and personally i think it looks more realistic with the panel lines left as they are, im glad you resisted the temptation to re-scribe . Are the radar aerials eduard etch? they certainly look the business , Congrats on a 5 star job! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Looks fantastic.Its a lot more satisfying making an old kit into something as good as this rather than buying the latest super detailed job isnt it?.

Tony.We will have to agree to disagree on the subject of raised versus engraved.My problem with raised is what to do about the ones that get removed when sanding fuselage joints for instance ?.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi dave, i think both types can look great i guess its just me thats scared to go the whole hog and rescribe an entire model!! The problem of raised lines and joints is very true although if you wanted you can get round it. On the revell beaufighter and corsair, i sanded the joints then re-applied a raised line using very thin stretched sprue glued on with a touch of liquid cement, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice one Andy. He was some pilot Drewes and you've made a nice job of his aircraft,well,one of them lol. I believe he's still alive and living in Brazil.

Cheers

Steve

L

Lancasterb1

Thanks Guys, your comments are appreciated, in answer to some of the questions raised, the antenna are the kit supplied ones Tony, yes I did resist taking all the raised lines off, with it being an old kit I was not prepared to rescribe all of them, that being said the fit on the top of the fuselage was not brilliant so with a bit of filler and some Mr Surfacer there was some sanding to be done which took the lines off, so I have to rescribe some of those across the top.

Steve yes Drewes is still alive and well in Brazil and I believe from contacts that I have he is making his way over in October, whether it is here or Germany I know not as yet.

Dave , thanks for the vote of confidence, it was satisfiying getting it together, and a lot of work went into the interior cockpit area with the Eduard etch that is available, but may favorite was actually painting the camo on her, then the model really do start to come to life.

As stated at the start of the thread, if you can lay your hands on one of these for a reasonable price it is well worth putting up with the niggles!

Cheers

Andy

First Name
Mike
That brings back memories Andy, I remember the box art clearly from the 70s. Your model looks great, lovely work on the camo.

L

Lancasterb1

Migrant, I am glad you like it, I did enjoy the build, it was interesting to say the least an old 1970's Revell kit :respect4: or :pain:. As I have mentioned it needed some TLC here and there!

Andy