1/32 Do 335 M13 from HK Models

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here’s the completed HK Models 1/32 scale Do 335 B-2, the build thread for which can be found here.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/hk-models-1-32-do-335.33550/

It is an excellent kit, well engineered and fitting, a pleasure to build. Zoukei-Mura are also producing a Do 335 in this scale. I've built a couple of their kits and all I can say is that I'd be surprised if theirs is as straight forward to build as this one.

I’ve built it as the Do 335 M13, W.Nr. 230013, RP+UP as it would have looked in early 1945 after extended wing tips were fitted. More about the aircraft after the photos, I know not everyone will be interested!

IMG_1623_zps9mhwdgub.jpg

IMG_1624_zpsjomkvsw1.jpg

IMG_1625_zpswhwfnbh9.jpg

IMG_1626_zpsygr0afgc.jpg

IMG_1627_zpsqbdi2n7m.jpg

IMG_1628_zpsgpkegfog.jpg

This aircraft, designated M13, was the first of two prototypes for the Do 335 ‘zerstorer’. It first flew on 13th October 1944, powered by two DB 603 E-1 engines giving 1,800 horse power each.

Visible in the wings is the additional armament of two 30mm MK 103 cannon with 70 rounds per gun. This gave a total armament of three 30mm MK 103 cannon and two 20mm MG 151 cannon.

On top of the starboard wing an ESK 16 gun camera was mounted.

I’ve fitted a EZ 42 gyroscopic gun sight, though this may only have been fitted to the other prototype, M14.

The aircraft was last photographed at the ‘Luchsberg’ airfield (Friedrichshafen-Lowenthal) in March 1945, its subsequent fate is unknown.

Cheers

Steve

Reactions: R_G

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely work Steve, as always. A pleasure to see a fine crated model and read the info that goes with it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Top job Steve, and nice and refreshing to see something slightly away from the norm. A very tidy build and some potted history as well.

The groundwork and figures are excellent....Just enough to keep the eye focused on the aircraft, yet still allows for a nice, simple scene.

Ron

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This is a stunning piece of workmanship that is really well portrayed from you Steve. The thread was enjoyable to follow and you have made this kit look exceptionally easy. The painting and withering look fantastic as per your standards.

With the personnel it shows really how big this machine was.

I'm not sure but I'm sure you will clarify, the tail end of the 335 spinner looks extended to what I have on my 335 ( although mine is a standard ( I think ) Was this all to do with the experimental stage like the wing extensions?

Kind regards

Robert

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks folks.

Robert, I think that rear spinner was a pretty standard item on all Do 335s. It doesn't look much different to the one on the V1 prototype machine. To be fair I think the kit part does look a little bit pointy, but not wildly inaccurate.

Cheers

Steve

D

Doug Hughes

Fantastic work again, Steve. It shows the truth of your point on another thread about figures giving an idea of the size of the original - that's one hefty fighter!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It was hefty but then it is a twin.

We should measure it against a P-38, Mosquito or Me 410, not a Typhoon or Fw 190.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

This has been a class build. Not only in the quality of the build and painting, which is superb but also the sharing of techniques and the background research. Been a pleasure to watch this come together as well as being undoubtably educational too. Stunning model Steve.

N

noble

Superb work, but then I would not expect anything less from you Steve.

Scott

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work Steve,real looks superb,and so very nice to see some think different as well,do real like

these strange German planes,very well done, ;)

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi Steve, I know little about the 335 and it's something I'll get round to I'm sure. It's a cracking finish mate and for the time I'm sure the colours look pretty spot on, what make of paints did you use? And is it RLM 81 & 83?

Cheers

Phil

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Flawless Steve , I reckon you enjoyed building this as much as we enjoyed watching it . Its a very interesting looking aircraft and one thats now on my 'to get ' list again!! great work , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi Steve, I know little about the 335 and it's something I'll get round to I'm sure. It's a cracking finish mate and for the time I'm sure the colours look pretty spot on, what make of paints did you use? And is it RLM 81 & 83?
Cheers

Phil
Hi Phil, the official Dornier, RLM approved, paint guide calls for 81 and 82, 81 being the very brown olive colour seen on some late war aircraft and 82 a fairly bright green. I've done this in 82 and 83, 83 being a green olive colour not a million miles away from the RAF's own Dark Green which I nearly used. All these RLM numbers refer to those adopted by model paint manufacturers at the present time.

The paints I've used are the colourcoat enamels, previously produced and marketed by White Ensign Models, now by Sovereign Hobbies.

Why have I used their 83 rather than 81?

Recent research suggests that what we all think of as 83, including all the major model paint manufacturers, is in fact just a greener version of 81. The evidence is stacking up to suggest that the real 83, as opposed to our model paints, was in fact a blue colour used in maritime schemes.

What all this means is that although the paints I have used were labelled 82 and 83 by White Ensign/Sovereign (and would be by everyone else) they more accurately represent 82 and the greener version of 81.The reason I believe that this greener version was applied to the Do 335 is the unofficial description given by Dornier to both camouflage colours as 'dunkelgrun' or dark green. I can't imagine anyone with normal eyesight describing the browner version of 81 as a dark green, indeed descriptions exist (from Messerschmitt for example) describing the browner version as just that, dark brown.

All the current RLM paint ranges that I am aware of use the numbers 81 and 83 to describe two different colours as two different standards, whereas in fact both these colours are just versions of 81. The historic 83 was something quite different.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Steve another masterful build with the awesome back story to go with. I really like that you take the time to do just that,thank you!

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Breat build Steve painting and weathering top notch it benifits from the figs as it was big.