1/32 Fi 103 or V-1

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was going to do something American, but I haven't got the paint, nor can I get it anytime soon, unless Sovereign Hobbies start despatching Colourcoats again.
What I have got (surprise, surprise) is a good stash of Luftwaffe colours, as I near the completion of one horrible Special Hobby kit I'm about to start another.
Looking on the bright side, the parts on the spues don't look too malformed, despite being of the familiar hard grey plastic.

Speaking of sprues, this is they. How hard can it be? Three sprues, a miniscule decal sheet and a little photo-etch, and this includes a trolley for the completed pilotless aircraft.

Inside_web.jpg

The box art looks like this:

Box_web.jpg

I'm going for a scheme used on the air launched versions rather than this because it is a bit more challenging, and should look pretty neat if I can pull it off. I also recently read Peter Smith's 'Air-Launched Doodlebugs, The Forgotten Campaign', which is self explanatory, concerning the air-launched missiles targeting, initially the Portsmouth/Southampton area and later London, East Anglian ports and Manchester.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another kit we have in common Steve (I have the Bronco 1/35 version too which is supposed to have accuracy issues). So, this would be the pick of the kits. I‘m interested to see this air launched version. In what way does it differ, colour scheme only? Also, do you intend to unite this with an He111 at some point in the future? That would be pretty special then again a quick build like this could be really fun.
Cheers
Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Another kit we have in common Steve (I have the Bronco 1/35 version too which is supposed to have accuracy issues). So, this would be the pick of the kits. I‘m interested to see this air launched version. In what way does it differ, colour scheme only? Also, do you intend to unite this with an He111 at some point in the future? That would be pretty special then again a quick build like this could be really fun.
Cheers
Paul

As far as I can tell it is just the colour scheme, but I am definitely not a V-1 expert! I'll do the scheme of one found towards the end of the war which was supposedly to be launched from one of the He 111s of KG 53.

I've no intention of uniting it with a Heinkel, though it would be a project for some brave soul. There would be some work to do on the Heinkel. The air launch V-1 Heinkels are usually called H-22s, but only those converted from H-21s in the factory carried that designation. Most were converted from H-16 and H-20 variants and retained those designations. It could be done from the Revell H-6 I suppose.

Feeling brave?

IMG_1927.JPG

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow! I had no idea that such a conversion set was made. They've even included the electrically operated turret.

It would be quite a beast, but I've just completed one huge model with nowhere to put it and I'm not sure what the Fuhrerin would make of another :flushed:

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve a simple but interesting model. By the way where have you been hiding all this time?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been busy Vaughan. I spent a large chunk of last year overseas, including a stint in the States in the autumn, and have not really had much opportunity to build anything.
Given that, according to Professor Neil Ferguson, a 'significant level of social distancing' is set to continue until a vaccine is found for this particular virus I may well have a lot of time on my hands for the foreseeable future. I've already written this entire year off and we are still in April!
Cheers
Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Heavens above, look who has returned to the fold. Nice to see you again Steve.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Colin. You may be seeing quite a bit of me this year!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I've been busy Vaughan. I spent a large chunk of last year overseas, including a stint in the States in the autumn, and have not really had much opportunity to build anything.
Given that, according to Professor Neil Ferguson, a 'significant level of social distancing' is set to continue until a vaccine is found for this particular virus I may well have a lot of time on my hands for the foreseeable future. I've already written this entire year off and we are still in April!
Cheers
Steve
Steve that all make sense on your absence. I'm hoping for a vaccine too as I'm on immunosuppressant medication so I'm on lock down for the foreseeable future

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm hoping for a vaccine too as I'm on immunosuppressant medication so I'm on lock down for the foreseeable future

Let's hope it's not too long in coming. I'll keep an eye out for your 'lockdown' efforts :smiling3:
Stay safe!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So, back to the job in hand.

I've more or less completed the V-1, grand total of five parts and a bit of stretched sprue (in the intake) so far.

The fit is near enough, though I will have to do some remedial work on the seam which I have made on the bottom. Better the bottom than the top and it has to be one or the other!

This kit actually has locating pins, though in order to use them I had to drill out the corresponding holes on the opposite side, which had not molded correctly.

As an aircraft modeller the absence of a cockpit or any clear part to mask has made this a lot like making an oversized drop tank :smiling3:

IMG_1928.JPG

Also, notice the raised detail. That makes cleaning up that bottom seam a bit of a bugger, because I don't want to get into stretching sprue etc. to replace any I lose.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice progress steve , theres a lot to be said for not having a canopy! No tricky masking , no cockpit to do , no dramas . I did a rq4 global hawk UAV a while back and found it a refreshing change just being able to crack straight on with the airframe . As for the raised lines , you know Ive done a fair few old classic ( read ancient dogs) kits and dont mind raised lines in fact sometimes they can be as accurate as recessed . What ive done with some success in 1/72 and 1/48 is to sand the seam then run a sharp knife across the missing bit of panel line . This does leave a cut but more importantly also leaves a slightly raised bit which once painted looks ok in these scales and matches with the rest of the raised lines. If you have a look at the build thread for the heinkel he 112 I did recently for the under a fiver GB , I used this technique on that . HTH , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Right, I really have built the missile and part of the trolley, which brings me to a bit of a conundrum.

The trolley is quite different from the ones used by Luftwaffe units, which incorporated a lift to raise the missiles into position under the carrier aircraft, so I am now going to paint this one in a different scheme, as one more traditionally ramp launched. This was technically an artillery job, so the question is, what colour the trolley? Any guesses (educated or otherwise) or wise and informed opinions to the usual address please!

Here we are as bad light stopped play this evening.

IMG_1929.JPG

Cheers

Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If it’s ground troops using them, I would expect equipment like trolleys to be dark yellow in colour.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If it’s ground troops using them, I would expect equipment like trolleys to be dark yellow in colour.

Thanks Jakko.

My extremely rudimentary research into the subject (about which I know quite literally nothing) turned up a colour called 'Dunkelgelb', which may well be to what you refer. It seems that this colour generates almost as much debate as the US Olive Drab!

Anyway, dark yellow I can do, I'm sure I can mix some passable approximation :smiling3:

Thanks again.

Cheers

Steve